PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Still no A22. Media people are flipping out lol! Basically if it's not out a lot on the East Coast will be F'd big time. NFL might black it out during tomorrow's game haha? Seriously though we pay $100. Not a lot but you pay for immediate viewing.
I've heard two different beat guys from other teams say it takes no longer than 15-25 minutes to upload practice film so the team can look over it. It can't be much longer than that? 45-60 min for a game, tops? Idk but the chaos online is funny.

Anyway watched Jax/Indy. Gruden & Minshew look like a good fit. A real good fit on many levels. Creative but know their limits. Not afraid to dial it up when needed but smart chances.
Minshew is a character that seems to have many layers. Gruden is a wild man. Just Google him. No judging, honestly, do your thing but you have to keep that stuff private.

Jaire Alexander gave up a TD to AT but he looks like he's on the verge of becoming a great player. Instincts & attitude. He's really f'n good.

Lattimore locked Evans but on the other side C Davis also was great against Thomas. He was fired up and looked to be moving real well. Patient but broke immediately if he had to. He was really good.

Our OL was great. Not just good. Great. We won't have a great feel for how the handle the best pass rushers or DL until KC, SF, Buff, Ari ... But the run blocking was so good. Their on a mission. After watching the OL for a while you get a feel for what they're trying to do not just schematically but their focus, discipline and poise as a unit. They looked liked a professional fighter out there. Beat the hell out of you but nothing dirty or cheap. Like very aware of flags, getting right back to line. No nonsense.

They've been the focus of this offense all camp. Maybe not in a dramatic sense in how you always want your OL to be good but a more leadership/responsibility. Again just more tone setting or more visible bc Brady isn't here?

Will Petey "woke" Carroll let Russ cook against this secondary? Any guesses on who's covering who this weekend? So many options for Bill. If you got offered something crazy for Gilly you have to take it at this point in his career & our future. But he is so good here.
He's been the best CB we've had during Bill's time here imo. He's in his prime on both ends. The mental & physical game. Versatile. Playmaker. Such a clean player but very physical! Can tackle and will shoot up to make a play when he has to. Take out the fins game and when's the last bad game he had. Like really bad. And even last year against Mia, Parker just balled out and made plays. Again though Gilmore has been the best player on our defense almost every snap, every game. He's the star of the show and just steps up every game.

So before the draft I put out a Pats Big Board and Bryant was one there with Uche, Lewerke, Dugger, Keene, Asiasi, Onwenu. I didn't have Jennings which will always get me. He was an obvious choice. Anyway I like this kid and he screams Patriots. Feisty, versatile & smart.

I suspect we'll be top 5-10 all year. Will be interesting to look at which teams are high/low as the year goes along.

Giants or Falcons? Who's secondary is worst? My goodness both were terrible.

Go get it on Amazon. Waiting for the Dynasty now. If anyone wants to promote it with a small quote if it's ok with the big shots here feel free
20200916_180603.jpg

Well those clips ^ were depressing...especially the first one...

And as I mentioned in the PS thread, I thought that Bryant had a good chance to stick because of his Slot experience...Still a little surprised by the early activation though...injury? Tyler Lockett assignment?

And as I mentioned in the PS thread, I thought that Bryant had a good chance to stick because of his Slot experience...Still a little surprised by the early activation though...injury? Tyler Lockett assignment?

Jonathan Jones is on the injury report with a foot injury.

@luuked beat me to it JJ on Injury report.

I thought he (JJ) was a decent matchup against TL to really give us flexibility elsewhere but we'll see.

And yea I think Bryant is strictly nickel for now. Hopefully picks up the niche and goes from there. Long shot but I like him.

"One of the few things to worry about after the game involves the Buffalo defense. It has a pair of excellent linebackers in Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano, but neither player finished the game. Milano left after 21 snaps with a hamstring issue, while Edmunds exited with a shoulder injury after 36 snaps. Neither player practiced Wednesday, and their status is unclear for Sunday's game against the Dolphins".

"Overall, kickers leaguewide hit on just 71.6% of their field goal attempts in Week 1. This was the lowest success rate in the opening week of the season since at least 2001 and the 11th-worst mark for any individual week over that time frame. Nine of those seasons came in the first three years of our sample; since the start of 2005, just one week (Week 11 of the 2019 season) has failed to top a success rate of 72%".

Jonathan Jones is on the injury report with a foot injury.

Harry was on the last pregame report with the shoulder injury. I suspect it's his right shoulder, as that's the arm that is taped up and it's the shoulder he refused to lower on the 5yd play. Might even had affected his strength on the fumble, as he went to the ground on his right shoulder. I'm glad that no one (except me) is offering it as an excuse.

Breida, Gaskins & Howard (maybe Geisicki) SHOULD have a field day..

Yup I heard they were banged up the other day. Big news imo. Milano is great in coverage. Just a really smart, tough player. Edmunds is a freak who's inconsistent but a freak nonetheless. Those are big losses.

Curious how Bills play it? I actually like Mia at home to put up a good fight. They know what 0-2 means, two division losses on top of that. Big game for both. Nice little chess match between McD & Flores.

I was kinda surprised the fins leaned on Gaskins week 1. Maybe I'm off and but Breida & Howard were healthy/right? Idk I remember thinking it the other day though.

Man I loved Milano coming out. Comes from one of the no nonsense fam's. Kids are playing sports, not sitting around the house. Strict but parents that were always there to make it work. He's always carried himself as a professional. Outstanding work ethic. You draft him and if he works out, obviously did. You never have to worry about him again. Just give him to the coaches and steer him in the right direction. One of the best coverage backers in the game drafted in the fifth round (4th for me). Arguably the best of his class which ended up being terrible. Good story, born a jets fan in NY, went to BC. & now plays for Buffalo.

Yup I heard they were banged up the other day. Big news imo. Milano is great in coverage. Just a really smart, tough player. Edmunds is a freak who's inconsistent but a freak nonetheless. Those are big losses.

Curious how Bills play it? I actually like Mia at home to put up a good fight. They know what 0-2 means, two division losses on top of that. Big game for both. Nice little chess match between McD & Flores.

I was kinda surprised the fins leaned on Gaskins week 1. Maybe I'm off and but Breida & Howard were healthy/right? Idk I remember thinking it the other day though.

Man I loved Milano coming out. Comes from one of the no nonsense fam's. Kids are playing sports, not sitting around the house. Strict but parents that were always there to make it work. He's always carried himself as a professional. Outstanding work ethic. You draft him and if he works out, obviously did. You never have to worry about him again. Just give him to the coaches and steer him in the right direction. One of the best coverage backers in the game drafted in the fifth round (4th for me). Arguably the best of his class which ended up being terrible. Good story, born a jets fan in NY, went to BC. & now plays for Buffalo.
I agree with everything you said.

Bacon Bits ...

• Josh . I've heard some complaints about play calling. I get it but as usual he's working with weird parts. Or strengths/depth just aren't there in some cases. Look it's week 2 but after this summer it looks like we want to be a physical team that works off the power with PA. So I get that we wanted to establish the run early. Also it's not lile things were out of hand early. If that's our identity and it looks like thats the case. You can't blame him, 1st half/week 2. He opened it up but with this strengths/weaknesses of this team. I get the game plan. I definitely have a problem with a few calls but I get the game plan. You're basically asking him to win a race with a slow car so the driver makes all the difference in the world. Hopefully we keep growing bc there were improvements. Cam looked great at times. - Last play. They knew where we were going a few times. Honestly at the time I'm saying "run bootleg" which would have gave us a much better shot but you obviously can see why we went left. 71 might have lost his balance or we but 91 just slipped off his block. FB got dive bombed for like the 2-3 third time. There was also penetration backside/through the middle from Wagner who cut off Shaq.
    Again a naked boot like we saw last week or some sort of counter run would have been much better. Seattle was just ready at that point. Hopefully we keep growing bc there were improvements. Cam looked absolutely great at times.

• Run blocking wasn't great and this might be nitpicking but I thought we also left a few yards out there early on. Not the biggest holes, just a few run plays. I could be wrong but I thought maybe we could have hit a few holes a little harder. Tough for me to say on my couch but I think we need more if were going to be a running team, no? Harris needs to run like Gump and not look back. Seattle was prepared though and played above their talent/depth imo. They got vertical at the right time. Slanted at the right time (last play). Like things really added up for them tonight there. - Again run blocking wasnt great but that jumbo is fierce. I can see why Josh likes it (I'll get to him) 71/76/62 play a hell of a song on the left side. My goodness. Lumberjack on that Cam 1 yard run. Again all 3 just cleared a path. They cleared a lot of weight a good 3-4 off the line. Wynn & Thuney have Muy Bueno on combos and creating a wall at times. When 71 comes in its a tough look.​

• Pass protection was near flawless. I think Wynn was the best player on the OL tonight. Easily one of his better games. Even run blocking. He was fantastic in pass pro. A lot was made about Wynn's length as a prospect. So far when he gets his paws on you it's a wrap. Uses length very well so far. Very good at making first contact with his hands without any tells. + Anchor. Shown big time attitude. Thuney was great as well. Made a few crucial pickups - him & Wynn are smooth handing off rushers. Picking up pressure-stunts.

• Loved the call on 2/7 or we it was. Good call and execution. Nice sell by 34/76/62. Nice patience and key blocks by Wynn and Thuney. Shaq out in front. We got 3 but could've been 7 easy. Rex for like 2-3. Edleman drop and then pressure from Adams. Looked liked Rex was asked to block two guys on one play. Missed FG. Came down to last play at their house. Can't just throw it away over 2 yards. We should have been throwing more. Probably another deep shot to Byrd? Maybe two lol? Should have went with tempo more?
  • Bentley was awful. *Gets taken out/worked by C who climbs to him 2nd level. No eyes on contact, carrier. No hands. *Very next play Bentley cuts off washed. *Ok I'm waiting for the A22 but this fogs up my Oakleys. 3rd quarter 2/4. Bentley bites on the handoff but it's immediately clear the coverage is holding up. Wilson is back there buying time. So much space and grass in front of him. Bentley might have been covering underneath but someone needs to attack that angle. Go make a play big dog. You have to try to make it happen there. Again I'll admit if I'm wrong but sometimes you have to make play. Also situational awareness. Know where and where Wilson can beat you. It's the scramble there that's the killer. *2/9 Middle opens for Wilson. No closing speed or drive. Hesi and bites on fake. Should be closing with everything you have there for TFL once he saw the play develop. *Bentley near halftime gets eatin up. Flag on Sea holding Rivers but again no bueno. *Pancaked by Fant few plays later. Just some notes. I think two TD's came off a few of these plays. Hate to harp on him but he looked slow. No change of direction. Didn't bring the aggression needed to take on OL. He just didn't looked right out there.
  • Cam targeted Rex like 5 times in a row at one point. Few passes and a run or we but Rex is our best back in this offense. I noticed 11 back there as well. I like that combo back there. Even just to get 11 a free release. *Beautiful bomb to Edleman. Nice protection. Wynn turns his man across the pocket. Cam slides and throws in rhythm. Top 5 catch for Jules. You'll see that forever. He's so good ... Then it happens! Izzo from inline! Haven't seen that in like two years. Can we have more please. Should be an easy 40 yards a game off PA and just to work MOF.
    Power read - Harry - lookd like QB Sweep ? - Fake, nice pick Thuney- TD* -Just some offensive notes from the 2nd half. Rex, Harry, Izzo, Byrd isn't ideal but Cam made it work. We definitely need Byrd to stretch the defense more. Izzo down the seam route is something I can get used to as well.​

• I still need more from Harry to justify the 1st round pick (2nd round grade from me) but he looked better for sure. Not the guy we hoped for but I'm giving him 3-4 more games. He came up big a few times for sure. No YAC. Not really stretching the field but doing solid work.

• The DK TD was just an elite athlete making a great play.
    So a QB is supposed to lead and a WR is supposed to track a ball. This was just a dandy of a play. Top notch on both ends (QB~WR). Wilson might be the best QB on earth and might throw the prettiest deep ball ever. Mahomes is absolutely right there. I mean talk about QBs carrying their respective teams? He's also outstanding at maneuvering in the pocket. Protecting himself. Making something happen through scramble or pass. So calm and relaxed.
    Dude is a class act. I know I'm gushing but we. He's a professional in every sense. Talent through the roof. First thing he does is reach out to White. Before and after the game in the interview. I know some go after his personality but give him for 10-12 years all day every day. Family man that just wants to win on the field. I hope he gets another ring at some point.
    But seriously that throw and catch were perfect. Gilly has outside leverage. DK runs a terrific route. Watch the head fake! Looks a corner/post or we and just whips it back. Has the space, moving like that at 230lbs. Good luck. Gilly actually also plays it great imo. I mean again DK is a freak. He absolutely knows the ball is coming and almost strips it. Hes looking at DK eyes or something. I mean it doesn't get any higher of talent, competition than right there. Can't be mad at Gilly.

• Wilson was just at the top of his game. The ability to scramble, extend the play is priceless nowadays. Him and Mahomes have really put their respective teams on their backs and we saw Cam do that tonight. Wilson was just on fire. Scrambling/extending the play. Maneuvering the pocket. Displayed crazy accuracy, touch, placement on some of those passes.

• I thought carried a few TEs pretty well. Tough to see without the A22 but he was great in in the box. He was a missile attacking the OL. Blew up the A gap on Rivers/Wino sack and another play pressuring the QB. Loved the aggression he played with.

• Tough game. Winnable sure but Seattle was just better. Not just better but this was peak Seattle mind you. Like you won't see them playing much better than last night and we didn't flinch or back down. This was supposed to be a guaranteed lose but came down to the last play, last second. Progress even though the end result isn't wanted. I have some clips (Bentley, Pass Pro, few more) I'll post when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Adams wanted none of 62

Bentley was awful. *Gets taken out/worked by C who climbs to him 2nd level. No eyes on contact, carrier. No hands. *Very next play Bentley cuts off washed. *Ok I'm waiting for the A22 but this fogs up my Oakleys. 3rd quarter 2/4. Bentley bites on the handoff but it's immediately clear the coverage is holding up. Wilson is back there buying time. So much space and grass in front of him. Bentley might have been covering underneath but someone needs to attack that angle. Go make a play big dog. You have to try to make it happen there. Again I'll admit if I'm wrong but sometimes you have to make play. Also situational awareness. Know where and where Wilson can beat you. It's the scramble there that's the killer. *2/9 Middle opens for Wilson. No closing speed or drive. Hesi and bites on fake. Should be closing with everything you have there for TFL once he saw the play develop. *Bentley near halftime gets eatin up. Flag on Sea holding Rivers but again no bueno. *Pancaked by Fant few plays later. Just some notes. I think two TD's came off a few of these plays. Hate to harp on him but he looked slow. No change of direction. Didn't bring the aggression needed to take on OL. He just didn't looked right out there.

Everything you said is true but lets keep in perspective that this is the sixth game Bentley has started after losing his rookie season to injury and then being a situational player behind a stacked LB group last year.

I am not sure there are many harder tests for someone who has only seen so much with his own eyes at game speed than Wilson. Hopefully this is a learning experience for him and he grows from it. Preferably fast. It certainly sucks not to have HT this season.

Everything you said is true but lets keep in perspective that this is the sixth game Bentley has started after losing his rookie season to injury and then being a situational player behind a stacked LB group last year.

I am not sure there are many harder tests for someone who has only seen so much with his own eyes at game speed than Wilson. Hopefully this is a learning experience for him and he grows from it. Preferably fast. It certainly sucks not to have HT this season.
Sure but a lot of these are just simple run fits. Not being able to keep up with Wilson is one thing but he was put in a blender on simple fits. Wrong reads, gapped out ... Then you look at how he moved in general. Slow, no agility.

Again losing Wilson on a scramble or two is understandable. The run plays weren't anything special. Rookie, Vet, he looked awful.

Hopefully it's one game.

Nice design. Mentioned how we saw 11 in the backfield last night. Like to see that continue and play off that. Mesh with a wheel out the backfield.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back