PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
  • OL - I asked two people I trust who were up there this summer and more importantly, who will actually talk to me. "Who was the best group & player from that unit". Both said secondary/OL. One person ... "Defensive Backs but actually the (OL) has been on a mission They've been right there all summer".
That person said Wynn/Gilmore. The other said JC/Wynn.

Both noted how much better Eluemunor was playing, he was standing out in a "good way". No sloppiness, penalties etc.

I've mentioned along with others how much potential this group has. I think even if RT is a weak-link and it most likely will be looking at that group but by how much? Remember playing OL is all about surviving as opposed to winning. Just get to the next play by any means, doesn't have to be pretty. If we get health & good enough at RT we should have a top 10-12 OL.

There's been a clear focus on being physical, establishing a presence with that group all summer. This team isn't ready but they are set on what type on team they want to be.

• QB - Not sure this has been mentioned enough but Cam has really taken over from leadership standpoint. Chirping at guys on both sides. Working with guys after practice, outside of practice. Being that positive force. Both people I talked to mentioned this and its been whispered by others. He's been the QB1 since day 1 he got here and it's more than evident to people watching. Football is football but he's in a different place here and been very good in all areas. Not an easy task.
From everything I've seen and heard Stiddy has had a very good camp. I doubt anyone lost faith in him but rather most had expectations different than the staff.

I honestly don't think play calling for either would be that different but I'm curious in general where we're going in that direction. I have my thoughts but it's more curiosity than conviction.

Just seems we can do more with Cam rn and again don't downplay the confidence he seems to have from the team. Guys always gravitate and they have here.

Another thing I'm curious about is scrambling drills on offense. I'm sure the staff and offense have put stuff together but individually. Between Harry, MS, 11... Im sure there's been talks of where Cam wants guys. It's a huge part of his game and hopefully now we can benefit from it rather than being on the other side.

So far the offense as a whole just doesn't look like it's there but I do have hope but the running game just makes sense when you look at the personnel. You do see the pieces for versatile enough offense. Sanu, Harry & Edleman are all very good blockers. We have the bodies in Sony, Harris, Rex & White to run or hopefully pass on any down. I don't think we're setting any records but again the pieces are there to at least compete with most teams. Certainly within the division.

I'm not expecting much from the TE position except some flashes. I'd really be happy if Asiasi was a 3 down player that blocked well to start but again think he'll flash with Cam. He's the most talented guy we have which might not be saying much now but he'll get opportunities.

I'd love to see us give these guys easy targets from leak routes, dummy blocks etc. Just get them featured when you can.

On defense it's pretty simple. We have an all-world secondary which is extremely versatile across the board. They lead a historically great 3rd down defense last year. How will we complement them this year with so many new faces?

I remember last summer a certain someone bringing up the types of players/bodies we have and we saw how Bill deployed them. I would have loved to see the evolution of that defense but we took a few big hits there.

To me that's the biggest question mark. How will the new prospects & players assimilate themselves in this multiple defense.

Most notably the LB's. We ask a ton of our guys & have a standard. We played a lot of 1/2 IDL last year and that puts a lot of responsibility, expectations on that group.

From gap exchange, reading OL protection (is it man protect, who's sliding ...), ID run fits ... There's just a ton to pick up.

We also played a lot of nickel, dime, even dollar at points last year and were really good. Top 3 usage & % in dime or very close to it off the top of my head.

So we are constantly asking a lot from our DB's/LB's. A lot more than most teams imo.

Fwiw ... We've drafted as many DB's day 1/2 over the last decade than we have LB/DL. It's been a clear point of focus for Bill and he's been traveling towards this destination - package(s) for some time.

I'm also expecting more 2hi looks, more shell looks across the league bc of the offense we're seeing. Curious if we see any spike here. We actually have the pieces with Dugger & DMC. Really hope Dugger makes us proud.

Screenshot_2020-08-28-17-09-59.png

Screenshot_2020-08-28-16-41-34.png

Hope everyone is feeling well. It's been a crazy year and we just passed the mid-season premiere with the awful, heartbreaking loss of the Black Panther. 40-something is way too young, my goodness. Rest in power & peace.

Football is back though! It's not that important but omg do we need it. I can't wait to watch it in rhythm again. The matchups, the chess game, adjustments, physicality, toughness & smarts. I really love just watching everything unfold. Esp the young prospects who will taking over and shaping the league.

For the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to Bills games. The teams mirror each other in a lot of ways. From play calling, great coaching and wanting to be a bully. These two teams aren't the exact opposite in terms of style we've seen before. Those should be 2 very fun, hard fought fights.

GO PATS!!!

LOL been out most of the day and I just remembered Ian is switching over everything like rn. I suck.

GO PATS!!!

want that OL to hold up. It would make so, so much difference. While I’m not buying the speculation, I can’t help but wonder what BB would cook up if Fournette joined that line (and an already competent group of RBs)...

Nice summary. I look forward to seeing how the team evolves this year. Unique challenges, but an intriguing group of talent that has a chance to be better as a whole than the sum of individuals.

Nice to hear confirmation from other sources on what we have been hearing through the last weeks about JC, the OL and Cam's leadership. Always good to have multiple levels of confirmation when it comes to observations.

While the future might look brighter at positions like RT, TE & LB, it's still a damn shame that Bill has not seen fit to provide the kids at those positions with a steady veteran presence for them to see for themselves how it's done ... If Bill is planning on actually competing this season, then the lack of personnel additions there makes no sense whatsoever ... and we also need help at DT, DE & (as usual) WR ...

While the future might look brighter at positions like RT, TE & LB, it's still a damn shame that Bill has not seen fit to provide the kids at those positions with a steady veteran presence for them to see for themselves how it's done ... If Bill is planning on actually competing this season, then the lack of personnel additions there makes no sense whatsoever ... and we also need help at DT, DE & (as usual) WR ...
I’m not trying to be sassy.

What does BB need to do to satisfy the posters ? Is his level of success throughout two decades not enough ? I’m not saying he shouldn’t be questioned. I genuinely want to know if he needs to be SB champ every year.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if we added another TE/IDL. I'm actually expecting it with cuts around the league.

IDL is interesting. Like I mentioned above we used A LOT of 1/2 IDL last year bc we had the experience & smarts at LB/DB. What's the evolution like this year if there is any? Again that's a lot of younger guys at LB make key reads/id. Just a lot on their plate.

I've also heard we've been running at will in camp and our DL has been nonexistent. Scary when you have to play some of the teams we'll see (Buffalo X2, Oak, KC, SF, Balty) All those teams should return a very good-great OL with the ability to bully you if they wanted.

• OL - I asked two people I trust who were up there this summer and more importantly, who will actually talk to me. "Who was the best group & player from that unit". Both said secondary/OL. One person ... "Defensive Backs but actually the (OL) has been on a mission They've been right there all summer".
That person said Wynn/Gilmore. The other said JC/Wynn.

Both noted how much better Eluemunor was playing, he was standing out in a "good way". No sloppiness, penalties etc.

I've mentioned along with others how much potential this group has. I think even if RT is a weak-link and it most likely will be looking at that group but by how much? Remember playing OL is all about surviving as opposed to winning. Just get to the next play by any means, doesn't have to be pretty. If we get health & good enough at RT we should have a top 10-12 OL.

There's been a clear focus on being physical, establishing a presence with that group all summer. This team isn't ready but they are set on what type on team they want to be.

• QB - Not sure this has been mentioned enough but Cam has really taken over from leadership standpoint. Chirping at guys on both sides. Working with guys after practice, outside of practice. Being that positive force. Both people I talked to mentioned this and its been whispered by others. He's been the QB1 since day 1 he got here and it's more than evident to people watching. Football is football but he's in a different place here and been very good in all areas. Not an easy task.
From everything I've seen and heard Stiddy has had a very good camp. I doubt anyone lost faith in him but rather most had expectations different than the staff.

I honestly don't think play calling for either would be that different but I'm curious in general where we're going in that direction. I have my thoughts but it's more curiosity than conviction.

Just seems we can do more with Cam rn and again don't downplay the confidence he seems to have from the team. Guys always gravitate and they have here.

Another thing I'm curious about is scrambling drills on offense. I'm sure the staff and offense have put stuff together but individually. Between Harry, MS, 11... Im sure there's been talks of where Cam wants guys. It's a huge part of his game and hopefully now we can benefit from it rather than being on the other side.

So far the offense as a whole just doesn't look like it's there but I do have hope but the running game just makes sense when you look at the personnel. You do see the pieces for versatile enough offense. Sanu, Harry & Edleman are all very good blockers. We have the bodies in Sony, Harris, Rex & White to run or hopefully pass on any down. I don't think we're setting any records but again the pieces are there to at least compete with most teams. Certainly within the division.

I'm not expecting much from the TE position except some flashes. I'd really be happy if Asiasi was a 3 down player that blocked well to start but again think he'll flash with Cam. He's the most talented guy we have which might not be saying much now but he'll get opportunities.

I'd love to see us give these guys easy targets from leak routes, dummy blocks etc. Just get them featured when you can.

On defense it's pretty simple. We have an all-world secondary which is extremely versatile across the board. They lead a historically great 3rd down defense last year. How will we complement them this year with so many new faces?

I remember last summer a certain someone bringing up the types of players/bodies we have and we saw how Bill deployed them. I would have loved to see the evolution of that defense but we took a few big hits there.

To me that's the biggest question mark. How will the new prospects & players assimilate themselves in this multiple defense.

Most notably the LB's. We ask a ton of our guys & have a standard. We played a lot of 1/2 IDL last year and that puts a lot of responsibility, expectations on that group.

From gap exchange, reading OL protection (is it man protect, who's sliding ...), ID run fits ... There's just a ton to pick up.

We also played a lot of nickel, dime, even dollar at points last year and were really good. Top 3 usage & % in dime or very close to it off the top of my head.

So we are constantly asking a lot from our DB's/LB's. A lot more than most teams imo.

Fwiw ... We've drafted as many DB's day 1/2 over the last decade than we have LB/DL. It's been a clear point of focus for Bill and he's been traveling towards this destination - package(s) for some time.

I'm also expecting more 2hi looks, more shell looks across the league bc of the offense we're seeing. Curious if we see any spike here. We actually have the pieces with Dugger & DMC. Really hope Dugger makes us proud.

View attachment 28369

View attachment 28370

Hope everyone is feeling well. It's been a crazy year and we just passed the mid-season premiere with the awful, heartbreaking loss of the Black Panther. 40-something is way too young, my goodness. Rest in power & peace.

Football is back though! It's not that important but omg do we need it. I can't wait to watch it in rhythm again. The matchups, the chess game, adjustments, physicality, toughness & smarts. I really love just watching everything unfold. Esp the young prospects who will taking over and shaping the league.

For the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to Bills games. The teams mirror each other in a lot of ways. From play calling, great coaching and wanting to be a bully. These two teams aren't the exact opposite in terms of style we've seen before. Those should be 2 very fun, hard fought fights.

GO PATS!!!

LOL been out most of the day and I just remembered Ian is switching over everything like rn. I suck.

GO PATS!!!

Nice post. - The OL is one of the reasons I'm a little more optimistic than most for this season. Great talent can make do with a mediocre offensive line, BUT a great offensive line can make mediocre skill players MUCH better.

I doubt very much Cam has played behind a better OL than the one he'll play behind this year. And while the skill players (outside the TE's) don't jump out at you, Edelman,, and Sunnu are both very "solid" guys, and I hope Harry develops into one. Remember big WR's often take a few years to develop to their full potential.

One more note. This is going to be a much better offense in December than it will be in September. In fact this will be a much better overall team as the season goes on. If they can play .500 ball through the end of October, then I see them as a playoff team by the end of the season, The point being, for this year, we need to be patient with this team,

Nice post. - The OL is one of the reasons I'm a little more optimistic than most for this season. Great talent can make do with a mediocre offensive line, BUT a great offensive line can make mediocre skill players MUCH better.

I doubt very much Cam has played behind a better OL than the one he'll play behind this year. And while the skill players (outside the TE's) don't jump out at you, Edelman,, and Sunnu are both very "solid" guys, and I hope Harry develops into one. Remember big WR's often take a few years to develop to their full potential.

One more note. This is going to be a much better offense in December than it will be in September. In fact this will be a much better overall team as the season goes on. If they can play .500 ball through the end of October, then I see them as a playoff team by the end of the season, The point being, for this year, we need to be patient with this team,
Yea if Harry or Asiasi steps up we should have enough but super thin. We really need Harry to be the guy we thought he was. He should have all the reason in the world to show up & show out.
And definitely agree about the offense. I just hope we weather the storm early on in regards to the schedule. It's brutal.

I would have hit "agree" but only see "like".

Anyone know how to find the others?

I’m not trying to be sassy.

What does BB need to do to satisfy the posters ? Is his level of success throughout two decades not enough ? I’m not saying he shouldn’t be questioned. I genuinely want to know if he needs to be SB champ every year.
Not continuing to draft DBs in the 2nd round who suck would be a nice start...let's hope that Uncle Dugg will snap that streak...

Last edited:
Yea if Harry or Asiasi steps up we should have enough but super thin. We really need Harry to be the guy we thought he was. He should have all the reason in the world to show up & show out.
And definitely agree about the offense. I just hope we weather the storm early on in regards to the schedule. It's brutal.

I would have hit "agree" but only see "like".

Anyone know how to find the others?
Actually it's the post-bye schedule that's brutal; I can easily see us going 3-2 at the bye but struggle winning 4/5 more games for the rest of the season...And the Agree icon is the white-on-green check mark, second from the left...

Actually it's the post-bye schedule that's brutal; I can easily see us going 3-2 at the bye but struggle winning 4/5 more games for the rest of the season...And the Agree icon is the white-on-green check mark, second from the left...
Yea Idk early won't be easy.

Mia
@Sea
Raiders
@KC
Denver

Mia is Mia. That will be a fight no doubt. Two tough road games at KC/Sea.

Denver has potential. I think we see flashes this year but no consistency. That's a scary team tho. Good for them for not laying down to KC.

Maybe it's bc I'm on my phone I just dont see anything besides "like"

Screenshot_2020-09-01-16-11-50.png

Yea Idk early won't be easy.

Mia
@Sea
Raiders
@KC
Denver

Mia is Mia. That will be a fight no doubt. Two tough road games at KC/Sea.

Denver has potential. I think we see flashes this year but no consistency. That's a scary team tho. Good for them for not laying down to KC.

Maybe it's bc I'm on my phone I just dont see anything besides "like"

View attachment 28393
Hmmm...haven't tried this new format on my iPhone yet, so maybe that's the issue for you?

It is the same for me on my laptop. I only see a "thumbs up" Like, and when I hover over the Like the other options pop up.

More 1/2 IDL on some pressure looks.

I love the 2nd clip, so aesthetically pleasing to me. Looks like a diamond pressure front, five-on-five, head on head to get 1 on 1. Lots of options for us. HT & Butler are the penetrators, Butler has become fantastic in this dept. He's excellent at clearing up space & washing bodies out the way. You see it in the last clip too.

Also can see Bill putting a LB head up on the C multiple times.

More 1/2 IDL on some pressure looks.

I love the 2nd clip, so aesthetically pleasing to me. Looks like a diamond pressure front, five-on-five, head on head to get 1 on 1. Lots of options for us. HT & Butler are the penetrators, Butler has become fantastic in this dept. He's excellent at clearing up space & washing bodies out the way. You see it in the last clip too.

Also can see Bill putting a LB head up on the C multiple times.

This will be the first season since 2011 that at least one of Hightower/Collins/Van Noy will have not taken the field on Opening Day...don't know from whom the kids are supposed to learn except Simon, but will that be enough? And still don't understand why a decent vet at an affordable contract for each of the DT/DE/LB positions could not have been signed if Bill intends to compete this season...same with RT/TE/WR...

This will be the first season since 2011 that at least one of Hightower/Collins/Van Noy will have not taken the field on Opening Day...don't know from whom the kids are supposed to learn except Simon, but will that be enough? And still don't understand why a decent vet at an affordable contract for each of the DT/DE/LB positions could not have been signed if Bill intends to compete this season...same with RT/TE/WR...
I watching Mayo, Spikes & HT on the same field together the other day. Vince, Chandler, DMC. Can't believe we had so much talent on that side of the ball for a few years.

I think IDL might be my biggest gripe. TE is what it is. They addressed it at least even though depending on two rooks. I guess they did with Allen but I'd liked to have seen more.

Last edited:
Not continuing to draft DBs in the 2nd round who suck would be a nice start...let's hope that Uncle Dugg will snap that streak...

Did you read the New Rules thread? If not, here is a section that may have been written just for you, Captain.

89979EE1-7EF7-47FE-8B9E-DA0E02E30DAA.jpeg

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back