PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Look, they weren't the same but pretty close lol. I'm actually shaking inside rn. :mad:.

And thanks, for the record I have np with questions and actually appreciate them. I don't mind at all.

Love your stuff BGC, just giving you a hard time. Because unlike a few on this board, I know you can take it in stride.

Love your stuff BGC, just giving you a hard time. Because unlike a few on this board, I know you can take it in stride.
Absolutely. It's not that serious. I'm of the belief that if you can't make fun of someone you can't get that close or be friends. Have to laugh in life.
Didn't see this until now.

You're wrong.

A few years ago I questioned his posts on multiple occasions. But he put his name on all of his draft grades or rankings prior to each draft. This year he posted all of his draft grades. He doesn't hide from his evaluations. I've checked numerous of his and other's draft grades. We have some good draftnicks in this site.

In regards to BCG, I challenge you to go over his draft record and prove that he isn't better than most that are currently in the NFL world ( BSPN, FOX Sports etc..). He and our resident draftnicks are better. We have a good crew.

BCGs Excel spreadsheet was fantastic and made watching the draft incredibly enjoyable. The comments from the other draft guys did so as well.

BCG (and others) put a lot of effort into it and provided us with some useful and fun stuff to have more fun during the off-season.

I spent the draft with my son on speaker phone and BCGs Excel spreadsheet in front of me. What a great night. Had a blast.

BCG (and others) are a huge positive for this forum. I appreciate their efforts and sometimes wonder if they have time to get laid. Haha
BGC isn't a "self-proclaimed draft expert". If you had ANY Brain at all, you'd know that BGC downplays EVERY SINGLE Accolade people on this board give him in regards to the draft.

And no, The Pats drafts didn't suck "for 7 years since 2013". That just goes to show how the lack of intellect you're forcing everyone on this board to deal with.

- 2013- Collins, Ryan, Harmon. Out of 7 picks
- 2014- Garoppolo, Stork, White, Fleming. Out of 9 picks.
- 2015- Brown, Flowers, Mason, Cardona. Out of 11 picks (not great)
- 2016- Thuney, Brissette, Roberts, Karras, Grugier-Hill, Mitchell. Out of 9 picks
- 2017- Wise. 1 for 4.. Not great.
- 2018- Wynn, Michel, Bentley, Izzo. Out of 9 picks. Meh.
- 2019- Winovich, Harris, Cowart, Bailey. Jury is out on Harry, Williams, Cajuste, and Stidham.. Could Good. Could be bad..
Very kind and nice words appreciate it guys.

I'm in the minority, I think it's very possible Mac starts or plays sooner than later. From Gregory Bedard's ...
"There was some 11-on-11 work late in practice at half speed, and it was against the scout team offense playing defense (no real defense on the field) playing off cards. It looked like Josh McDaniels had the players working off a teaching progression in this practice where some of the things they worked on earlier between QBs and WRs, would come together here for a bit.

Newton got up and identified the Mike linebacker. Great. He did that last year, and it's the very basic part of this passing offense. He delivered a ball in the seam a little late, but it was complete.

Jones came up next ... he identified the Mike and also tagged on a slide by the offensive line.

Ok, now I'm paying attention. That's another step up.

Then, Jones and the receiver, Nelson Agholor, both identified what the defense was doing — a weakside blitz — they looked at each other, Agholor pointed.

Then Jones said, "I know."

The ball was snapped, Jones probably didn't even have the laces and fired the ball on the slant into wide-open space.

Jones saw what the defense was going to do, he and the receiver made a slight adjustment, and the Patriots exploited it for a big gain.

That's the freaking Patriots' passing offense.

If that's any indication, Jones is going to be part of this very, very soon" ...

I thought there was a good chance Cam was coming back before the season ended last year. The way things were shaping up, Cam being cheap - great attitude. Him & Bill being on the same page. It makes sense.
That said, Mac was drafted 15th overall and that means something. Even in the Patriots locker room. Cam will empty every bullet but let's face it. He's a streaky player that has been working on his mechanics for over a decade. His physical skills are deteriorating and production along with it. Mac is strong where he's weak and will outshine him in practice, which eventually imo, will get him the job or make for a few tough conversations. He's going to look better in front of coaches, players etc which obviously matters a lot. Like ... Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes? Type of deal.

We'll see how it plays out but I think Mac has a legit shot. We didn't draft with the thought of sitting him imo. Bill is Bill, so Mac will have to rip the job from his cold, white walker-hands but I believe it's very possible that happens.

Thanks for that post. I don't have a dog in this fight.

All I will say is that it seems clear that the Pats could have won with the Cam who played against the Seahawks last season, the Jools who played against the Seahawks, and a better front seven than played against the Seahawks. Now Jools has gone but the receiving corps has been transformed, as has the front seven. So my only reason not to be optimistic is if end-of-the-season Cam is the Cam we're going to have to live with and Mac isn't ready or doesn't live up to hopes.

Thanks for that post. I don't have a dog in this fight.

All I will say is that it seems clear that the Pats could have won with the Cam who played against the Seahawks last season, the Jools who played against the Seahawks, and a better front seven than played against the Seahawks. Now Jools has gone but the receiving corps has been transformed, as has the front seven. So my only reason not to be optimistic is if end-of-the-season Cam is the Cam we're going to have to live with and Mac isn't ready or doesn't live up to hopes.
Agreed, for the most part, pats fans should be happy and optimistic. I mean we can't say SB or bust anymore but were better almost top to bottom than last year and just drafted a QB at 15. So there's reason for optimism.

I believe the QB room will be a lot better though. Cam has always been a streaky player so there's no reason we can't see the "good Cam" on the field if there's any left. If not we have Mac who was drafted in-large part bc of mental makeup - mainly decision making and his accuracy. So while he always be working to improve, he has pro-ready traits and qualities to help him step in now.

We'll see how things play out.

What encouraged me from what little film I watched of Mac, was how he stood in there and made and extremely accurate throw knowing full well he was going to get blasted by an unblocked rusher...and he did get blasted.
This was not just one play, but several examples.
The dude is fearless.

Saw the story where he broke a tooth and went back in spitting blood and tooth chips.
You can't coach that.

A 3-4? Are you sh!tting me?! Who the **** is our Mount Washington, or Tractor Traylor, or Big Vince, or heck even an Alan Branch when he cared?
If you do not have somebody with both the ability AND the size to own the middle of the LOS all by Himself, then you Cannot effectively run a 3-4 front, sorry not sorry....And also sorry but No, Davin Godsmack is Not that NT.

Last edited:
What encouraged me from what little film I watched of Mac, was how he stood in there and made and extremely accurate throw knowing full well he was going to get blasted by an unblocked rusher...and he did get blasted.
This was not just one play, but several examples.
The dude is fearless.

Saw the story where he broke a tooth and went back in spitting blood and tooth chips.
You can't coach that.

My hope is that Mac watches tape of Brady from about 2009-2018 so he can see how Brady changed the way he took hits. Brady specifically stated that he changed his mindset and worked on not tensing up when the hits came.

This would go a long way to ensuring Mac has a long Football life..

A 3-4? Are you sh!tting me?! Who the **** is our Mount Washington, or Tractor Traylor, or Big Vince, or heck even an Alan Branch when he cared? If you do not have somebody with both the ability AND the size to own the middle of the LOS all by Himself, then you Cannot effectively run a 3-4 front, sorry not sorry....And also sorry but No, Davin Godsmack is Not that NT.

Love when you run your mouth and show how little you understand about the CHANGES occurring in the league. It also shows you don't know JACK about Godchaux and how effective he was as a NT despite being the size of a DE.

BTW, There's this guy by the name of BARMORE that he team added to play at NT. He'll be in the rotation with Godchaux. If you knew ANYTHING about him, you'd know that Barmore was actually amazingly dominant. And what is Barmore's size? 6'4-310.

Godchaux and Henry Anderson were two of the stoutest run defenders in the league last year. This has been talked about, ad nauseum, by plenty of people. Maybe if you stopped thinking that your S**T didn't stink and that you know more than EVERYONE, you'd learn a thing or two.

I'm in the minority, I think it's very possible Mac starts or plays sooner than later. From Gregory Bedard's ...
"There was some 11-on-11 work late in practice at half speed, and it was against the scout team offense playing defense (no real defense on the field) playing off cards. It looked like Josh McDaniels had the players working off a teaching progression in this practice where some of the things they worked on earlier between QBs and WRs, would come together here for a bit.

Newton got up and identified the Mike linebacker. Great. He did that last year, and it's the very basic part of this passing offense. He delivered a ball in the seam a little late, but it was complete.

Jones came up next ... he identified the Mike and also tagged on a slide by the offensive line.

Then, Jones and the receiver, Nelson Agholor, both identified what the defense was doing — a weakside blitz — they looked at each other, Agholor pointed.

The ball was snapped, Jones probably didn't even have the laces and fired the ball on the slant into wide-open space.

Jones saw what the defense was going to do, he and the receiver made a slight adjustment, and the Patriots exploited it for a big gain.

If that's any indication, Jones is going to be part of this very, very soon" ...

I thought there was a good chance Cam was coming back before the season ended last year. The way things were shaping up, Cam being cheap - great attitude. Him & Bill being on the same page. It makes sense.
That said, Mac was drafted 15th overall and that means something. Even in the Patriots locker room. Cam will empty every bullet but let's face it. He's a streaky player that has been working on his mechanics for over a decade. His physical skills are deteriorating and production along with it. Mac is strong where he's weak and will outshine him in practice, which eventually imo, will get him the job or make for a few tough conversations. He's going to look better in front of coaches, players etc which obviously matters a lot. Like ... Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes? Type of deal.

We'll see how it plays out but I think Mac has a legit shot. We didn't draft with the thought of sitting him imo. Bill is Bill, so Mac will have to rip the job from his cold, white walker-hands but I believe it's very possible that happens.
I read Bedard's story this morning and thought about this. Back in 2001 it has been reported over the years that by the end of TC the coaching staff had felt that Brady had been the best QB they had to run the offense they wanted. They knew that it was only a matter of time before they'd have to make a change, and NOTHING they saw in the first 2 games had made them change their minds. Drew's unfortunate injury gave them a easy way to start the transition. Drew was a good NFL QB playing the wrong offense for his skill set.

That being said, fast forward 20 years and there is a similar situation with an established QB trying to fend off a rookie QB whose skill set is a perfect fit for the offense Josh wants to run. Just remember the situation is similar but NOT the same. Any transition to Mac would be a lot easier to make than the optics of Brady from Drew. Drew was the $100MM man, while Cam is the $3MM man. Brady was going into his 2nd year, while Mac is a flat out rookie.

The point is that ANY observations taken at an OTA needs to be with a LARGE grain of salt. Even Bedard will be the first to note that these shorts and T-shirt virtual walk throughs are important for the players, but mean NOTHING as far as who is excelling and where they will be in September or better yet November.

Before anyone crowns any one QB the starter, let them at least have a few practices where they where pads, go against a live defense, and do it for several practices.\

But the other thing to note is that if Jones is clearly the best QB coming out of TC BB has shown in the past he's not afraid to pull the trigger.

I'm sitting here just thinking about Mac vs. Brady in week 4 and I want it so bad. I hope the kid is as advertised and is as pro ready as everyone says he is

That being said, fast forward 20 years and there is a similar situation with an established QB trying to fend off a rookie QB whose skill set is a perfect fit for the offense Josh wants to run. Just remember the situation is similar but NOT the same. Any transition to Mac would be a lot easier to make than the optics of Brady from Drew. Drew was the $100MM man, while Cam is the $3MM man. Brady was going into his 2nd year, while Mac is a flat out rookie.

Yes, and Mac has a huge advantage over Brady in terms of preparation.
  • Alabama in 2020 vs. Michigan in 1999.
  • Mac's been able to study Brady's last 20 years
  • Mac has had far, far more detailed film, analysis, and coaching. Remember what tech existed in 1999? Game film was still...film.
  • The investment the Pats will make in Mac this Spring/Summer will far exceed what the Pats could put into Brady in 1999.
  • Making sight adjustments to their routes will be far more natural to the WR's Mac inherits than those Brady inherited, just because of the nature of the offenses they've played in through their careers.
  • 2000 was Belichick's first year as HC and had a lot to put in place; things are a bit more filled out and thorough now.

I'm sitting here just thinking about Mac vs. Brady in week 4 and I want it so bad. I hope the kid is as advertised and is as pro ready as everyone says he is
Sadly, we all know it wouldn’t be Mac vs. Brady. It would be Mac vs. the Bucs D. As much as I want to see him play as soon as possible too, I just don’t know how I would feel about putting the kid through that. I have very high hopes, but man! That D could put pressure and confusion on him so damn quick. I’d worry he’d get killed out there.

On the flip side though, maybe by week 4 this team will be the physical bully we all see them being, and Brady will be the one getting killed out there with Mac and the O playing ball control with a serious ground and pound run game.

****! You won me over…

Sadly, we all know it wouldn’t be Mac vs. Brady. It would be Mac vs. the Bucs D. As much as I want to see him play as soon as possible too, I just don’t know how I would feel about putting the kid through that. I have very high hopes, but man! That D could put pressure and confusion on him so damn quick. I’d worry he’d get killed out there.

On the flip side though, maybe by week 4 this team will be the physical bully we all see them being, and Brady will be the one getting killed out there with Mac and the O playing ball control with a serious ground and pound run game.

****! You won me over…
Our offensive line is not chop suey.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back