PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Sadly, we all know it wouldn’t be Mac vs. Brady. It would be Mac vs. the Bucs D. As much as I want to see him play as soon as possible too, I just don’t know how I would feel about putting the kid through that. I have very high hopes, but man! That D could put pressure and confusion on him so damn quick. I’d worry he’d get killed out there.

On the flip side though, maybe by week 4 this team will be the physical bully we all see them being, and Brady will be the one getting killed out there with Mac and the O playing ball control with a serious ground and pound run game.

****! You won me over…

The Bucs are coming off a SB win. There's nothing about their coaching staff and most of their players to indicate that they'll survive that better than most. Brady can only have so much influence there.

Plus, most teams will have significant injuries to key players in training camp and the first few games.

The Pats are well stocked on offense this year.

Let's see how those dice role before crowning the Bucs defense as world beaters.

Sadly, we all know it wouldn’t be Mac vs. Brady. It would be Mac vs. the Bucs D. As much as I want to see him play as soon as possible too, I just don’t know how I would feel about putting the kid through that. I have very high hopes, but man! That D could put pressure and confusion on him so damn quick. I’d worry he’d get killed out there.

On the flip side though, maybe by week 4 this team will be the physical bully we all see them being, and Brady will be the one getting killed out there with Mac and the O playing ball control with a serious ground and pound run game.

****! You won me over…
Lol, I would be willing to bet by game 1 Mac is better at reading a defense than Cam

The Bucs are coming off a SB win. There's nothing about their coaching staff and most of their players to indicate that they'll survive that better than most. Brady can only have so much influence there.

Plus, most teams will have significant injuries to key players in training camp and the first few games.

The Pats are well stocked on offense this year.

Let's see how those dice role before crowning the Bucs defense as world beaters.
I don’t understand this response to what I said. I never said the Bucs D was world beaters. They are a fast and well coached D, while our offense has been completely turned over at nearly all the skill positions. The odds of the Offense with a rookie QB at the helm performing well under the challenges they will be presented that game are very small. I’d feel better deeper in the season after they’ve had more time with one another. Then again, the coaching staff is the best in the league, and hopefully they will have them rocking on all cylinders by wk. 4. Who knows?

Yes, and Mac has a huge advantage over Brady in terms of preparation.
  • Alabama in 2020 vs. Michigan in 1999.
  • Mac's been able to study Brady's last 20 years
  • Mac has had far, far more detailed film, analysis, and coaching. Remember what tech existed in 1999? Game film was still...film.
  • The investment the Pats will make in Mac this Spring/Summer will far exceed what the Pats could put into Brady in 1999.
  • Making sight adjustments to their routes will be far more natural to the WR's Mac inherits than those Brady inherited, just because of the nature of the offenses they've played in through their careers.
  • 2000 was Belichick's first year as HC and had a lot to put in place; things are a bit more filled out and thorough now.

Brady's film study in 2000.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

A 3-4? Are you sh!tting me?! Who the **** is our Mount Washington, or Tractor Traylor, or Big Vince, or heck even an Alan Branch when he cared? If you do not have somebody with both the ability AND the size to own the middle of the LOS all by Himself, then you Cannot effectively run a 3-4 front, sorry not sorry....And also sorry but No, Davin Godsmack is Not that NT.
Different time and place. Capt, with respect you and others focus too much on things that don't matter anymore. Those guys just aren't as valuable anymore bc the game has gone away from a North/South style. Today every blade of grass is used and you have to be able to move laterally.

I don’t understand this response to what I said. I never said the Bucs D was world beaters. They are a fast and well coached D, while our offense has been completely turned over at nearly all the skill positions. The odds of the Offense with a rookie QB at the helm performing well under the challenges they will be presented that game are very small. I’d feel better deeper in the season after they’ve had more time with one another. Then again, the coaching staff is the best in the league, and hopefully they will have them rocking on all cylinders by wk. 4. Who knows?

It wasn't just in response to you, it was in response to many posts in several threads that have suggested that Jones shouldn't be subjected to the Bucs defense because it is going to be much better than the other defenses he'd face if started later in the season, and that he'd somehow be wounded by the experience (physically or mentally). I'm not buying that in May.

Should have explained that more clearly in my response.

It's gonna be tough for Cam our there
Maybe. I hope not. If he comes out this year playing like he ended last year and Bill doesn’t make a move, it’s gonna get ugly real quick. I think Mac is the guy for the future and am excited for to watch him play, but I also wouldn’t be devastated to see it delayed a year because Cam finds a way to turn it around. TBH, it could be Hoyer or Stidham. Doesn’t matter to me. I just want to watch our team crush it again!

It wasn't just in response to you, it was in response to many posts in several threads that have suggested that Jones shouldn't be subjected to the Bucs defense because it is going to be much better than the other defenses he'd face if started later in the season, and that he'd somehow be wounded by the experience (physically or mentally). I'm not buying that in May.

Should have explained that more clearly in my response.
Gotcha. If that’s how I came across, that’s not how I meant it. If Jones is the better QB leading up to the season, of course he should start. Take his lumps and grow.

An inexperienced QB that can’t identify, diagnose, react quick enough can make an excellent OL look bad real quick.

You present the matchup as if the overmatched Patriots' offense will get run off the field by the Bucs' defense, and it'd be unfair to Mac Jones to put him through that.

Someone suggested that our offense (particularly the offensive line) is capable and can hold their own, to which you reply 'well, a bad QB can make a good OL look bad fast', which seems to be the largely unrelated to the original point you presented (that offense around Jones wouldn't be capable of holding up against the Bucs' defense).

You present the matchup as if the overmatched Patriots' offense will get run off the field by the Bucs' defense, and it'd be unfair to Mac Jones to put him through that.

Someone suggested that our offense (particularly the offensive line) is capable and can hold their own, to which you reply 'well, a bad QB can make a good OL look bad fast', which seems to be the largely unrelated to the original point you presented (that offense around Jones wouldn't be capable of holding up against the Bucs' defense).
That’s not what I said, but thank you for trying to explain it to me.

Whoever our starting QB is will still need another proven Outside WR plus better depth along our OL after the starters + Karras.

That’s not what I said, but thank you for trying to explain it to me.

I didn't try to explain anything to you - I shared my understanding of your post based on the words you used. If you disagree with my interpretation, clarify your point.

- It wouldn't be fair to throw Jones to the wolves against Tampa Bay
- Others suggest our offense can hold its own against Tampa Bay
- It's more about the Tampa defense/Jones than the rest of the offense

That's basically what I gathered.

I didn't try to explain anything to you - I shared my understanding of your post based on the words you used. If you disagree with my interpretation, clarify your point.

- It wouldn't be fair to throw Jones to the wolves against Tampa Bay
- Others suggest our offense can hold its own against Tampa Bay
- It's more about the Tampa defense/Jones than the rest of the offense

That's basically what I gathered.
-The way I took the original post I had responded to is that the poster was excited to see Jones start (I don’t blame them) ready or not to see Brady v. Jones. My response was that I don’t know if I would want to see him go through that. If he’s outperforming Newton, play him. I haven’t seen him play in the NFL, or on this team. I’m assuming Cam is going to be playing better than him around week 4. Why play him just to play him? I also stated later in the same post that the opposite could be true, and that the team could be rocking by wk 4, kicking Brady’s ass, and our offense could be pounding them.
-I never suggested the offense couldn’t hold its own.
-I said that one could be true (Mac being confused and abused) and that the other could be true (The team being the bullies we all see them being) by wk 4.

Several of the replies I got made it sound as if my post was negative. It’s as if people read the first half and hit reply. Hell, I even said at the end that I had been won over and I’m on board.

I also want to clarify that I never said bad QB. I said inexperienced. I’m incredibly excited for Mac and this offense. I can’t wait to see him get comfortable with our speedy new receivers, the TE’s and get this power running game really going. I’m just trying to temper my expectations and give the team time to get it all together.

We really have little clue about the Patriots offense. Claiming you have certainty that they’ll be very good because of their FA pickups is as bad, if not worse, than pessimism. It’s Jetsy. It’s equivalent to the other fan base talk that we laughed at for years, declaring their team will be so great because of guys who have never played a snap with the team. Is this a Dolphins forum now?

The Patriots do not have a pro bowl skill player or even a guy consistently ranked among the best at his position. They acquired a bunch pretty good players who will definitely improve the unit, but there’s so much uncertainty beyond that.

Maybe Algohor had a breakout season and is the real deal. Maybe they found guys who were underused and are capable of being star players. Maybe not.

Of all the teams in the league, the Patriots might have the biggest wild card offense. Huge contracts given out to completely overhaul the skill players, and a rookie QB waiting in the wings.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back