PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

So AJ Brown with no knees is still a better WR than Harry :oops:
How you woke up this morning :)
i choose violence GIF

1st Round Grades - Young, Willis, Wirfs, Simmons

2nd Round Grades - Herbert, Claypool, Taylor, Cushenberry, Lewis, Bryant, Jefferson, Murray, Chinn, Winfield, Brown, Kinlaw

3rd Round Grades - Robinson, Dantzler, Sneed, Proche, Davis

5th - Onwenu

View attachment 29854
Are those grades according to your own scouting / ranking for last year?

Interesting to see the DL's - 3/4 of the guys were top 14 picks, but Davis was maybe underrated? Did you like Davis for the NEP?

Idk how you cover him/this type of athlete. Seriously good luck. We complain about not having someone to cover these guys but again how many players in the league can defend that play without a flag? Probably why Pitts will be the first pass catcher off the board imo.

Kinda reminds me of the route Edelman ran in Superbowl 49

edlemantd.gif

1st Round Grades - Young, Willis, Wirfs, Simmons

2nd Round Grades - Herbert, Claypool, Taylor, Cushenberry, Lewis, Bryant, Jefferson, Murray, Chinn, Winfield, Brown, Kinlaw

3rd Round Grades - Robinson, Dantzler, Sneed, Proche, Davis

5th - Onwenu

View attachment 29854
No Uncle Dugg? Nope, but I see Antoine Winfield...

No Josh Uche? Nope, but I see Jeremy Chinn...

No Devin AssyAssy? Nope...

No Dalton Keene? Nope...but I see Harrison Bryant...

No Justin Waterpipe? Nope, but I see Rodrigo Blankenship...

Last edited:

No Justin Waterpipe? Nope...but I see Rodrigo Blankenship...

sadly, you can do an email like this for each of the past five years.

1611195505756.png

Antoine Winfield and Dugger play different positions. Winfield is a Free Safety. Dugger is closer to a LB/S hybrid or a Rodney Harrison Strong Safety.

Amazing how you bash guys because they suffered an injury.

BTW, How many rings do you have again?? Your Cracker-Jax secret Decoder ring doesn't count.

Are those grades according to your own scouting / ranking for last year?

Interesting to see the DL's - 3/4 of the guys were top 14 picks, but Davis was maybe underrated? Did you like Davis for the NEP?
Yup, that's how had them graded before the draft. I thought Davis was a decent fit here, had a 3rd in him. Liking where I had him so far.

I don’t think we’d ever hear the end of it if a Patriots rookie allowed the highest passer rating in the NFL. Somehow that’s completely ignored for Winfield.

(147.2, in large part due to 6 of his 39 targets going for touchdowns)

Suggestion for you @BaconGrundleCandy . Maybe add 2020 to the title of this thread and start a new one at the beginning of the next season. It's one of those threads that I hope hangs around. Similar to DaBruinz roster transactions thread.

I don’t think we’d ever hear the end of it if a Patriots rookie allowed the highest passer rating in the NFL. Somehow that’s completely ignored for Winfield.

(147.2, in large part due to 6 of his 39 targets going for touchdowns)
You can bet that @captain stone would be whining about that.. but then, he whines about every Pats pick that he didn't make..

No Justin Waterpipe? Nope, but I see Rodrigo Blankenship...

Damn, I actually understand the logic behind that Rohrwasser nickname. You've got a real gift.

Patrick Mahomes: Single-high vs. 2-deep
EPA/PLAYRANK
Single-high0.391st
Two-deep0.1615th
* Coverage data from TruMedia and PFF.

Against single-high coverages, Mahomes was the league’s top QB in terms of Expected Points Added (EPA) per play. But against two-deep looks this season, he didn’t perform nearly as well. Playing split safeties is not a change of pace from what the Bills normally do. They’ve been one of the NFL’s biggest Cover-4 (a four-deep zone with three underneath defenders) teams this season.

One of the reasons that McDermott did not want to call many single-high coverages against the Chiefs is because Kansas City is so good at beating defenses with crossers. One of the Chiefs’ most explosive concepts is having Tyreek Hill line up as the number three receiver (counting from the sideline in) and having him use his speed to beat teams horizontally.

Divisional playoffs, 13:37 remaining in the first quarter, second-and-3

Voila_Capture-2021-01-20_03-04-55_AM.png

On this play, the Browns were lined up in Cover-1 rat (man coverage with one deep safety and a “rat” defender underneath). The Chiefs initially had a running back in the backfield but motioned him outside. The motion spread the defense out even more and offered a coverage indicator for Mahomes. A linebacker followed the back outside, which confirmed for Mahomes that the Browns were playing man-to-man with one deep safety.

The routes on the right were designed to clear out vertical and horizontal space for Hill’s crossing route.

Patrick Mahomes shreds the blitz
EPA/PLAYRANK
Vs. blitz0.541st
No blitz0.229th
While Mahomes performed well when opponents rushed four or fewer, he absolutely shredded the blitz. No quarterback was better.

During the regular season, the Bills ranked second in ESPN’s pass-rush win rate, while the Chiefs were sixth in pass-block win rate.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back