PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I'd trade This years and Next years #1s for Metcalf. It's going to take at least that to get him considering what Parker and Hill were traded for.
Love to have him Cousin, But what is his ask going to be next year...$25mm per year?
DW Toys

Nobody thinks he can be that good as an Outside CB; as DMac's replacement at FS, on the other hand...
Why? You think they’re all terrible, not surprisingly you think Wade is hopeless.

He was a rookie last year. It’s the “developmental” in developmental prospect that confounds you.

2) WR Andy Isabella from the Cardinals.. Great slot potential. Speed to burn we need. Might be a rental. Only $1.4mm salary. No excuse of this one Bill. Blank, his agent has permission to seek trade. For some reason this forum does like this kid as a Pat.

Because he can't play.
Cousin,
Looks like he can play.

DW Toys

Love to have him Cousin, But what is his ask going to be next year...$25mm per year?
DW Toys
Seattle had Russell Wilson, DK and Lockett and won 7 games, unfortunately it takes a complete team.

When you trade for a player (DK), then make him one of the highest paid players in the league you pay twice. It's bad business.

Seattle had Russell Wilson, DK and Lockett and won 7 games, unfortunately it takes a complete team.

When you trade for a player (DK), then make him one of the highest paid players in the league you pay twice. It's bad business.
Precisely!
DW Toys

God-Tier
Rice/Moss
TO/Fitz/Calvin

Anyone else??

Barely human tier
Hutson/Harrison/Carter
Julio/Largent/Irvin
Bruce/Holt/Wayne/Andre

1A
Sharpe/Alworth/Morton/Boldon
Brown/Monk/Steve Smith/Berry
Joiner/Fryar/Taylor/Warfield/Jimmy Smith

I'm missing a few names it's late but it would be fun to look at using different lenses.

It would be interesting to see what we come up with if we looked at WR's in a similar fashion that @Ice_Ice_Brady did for QB's. Look at a few different things but I think it's a little more straightforward than QB??

Anyway I can't see TO not being in someone's top 3-5. This dude was an absolute beast in his day. What a talent!

Rice and Moss for me are in a tier above Fitz, TO and Calvin -- no disrespect to the latter, but it goes to show how godly they were.

Also -- maybe it's just me -- I'd bump both Steve Smith and AB up a tier (at least). Not my favourite human beings or the kind of amazing athletes that Moss and Owens were, but, when it came to competing and making a difference in games, they were otherworldly.

Why? You think they’re all terrible, not surprisingly you think Wade is hopeless.

He was a rookie last year. It’s the “developmental” in developmental prospect that confounds you.
In college he was an excellent slot CB. His preference was to play outside…which he did his last year and it didn’t go so well…which is one of the reasons he was drafted later then he would have the previous year. I think he may have been injured his last year too but not sure.

In college he was an excellent slot CB. His preference was to play outside…which he did his last year and it didn’t go so well…which is one of the reasons he was drafted later then he would have the previous year. I think he may have been injured his last year too but not sure.
He was injured his final year of college. I think he played in the slot prior to that due to necessity. He had two 1st round CB’s ahead of him on the depth chart.

I look at him like a redshirt rookie entering his second year. He’s tall and has good athleticism, he’s one of few CB’s we have with a little speed. I’d project him on the outside rather than inside but if he’s good enough he can play anywhere.

Nobody thinks he can be that good as an Outside CB; as DMac's replacement at FS, on the other hand...

Hopeful that Wade is more effective than Eric Rowe was here, but Rowe has been better at safety in Miami than he was at corner. Something to consider if Wade struggles outside.

Wade is indeed Hopeless as an Outside CB.

As a FS however, he could become Pro Bowl-worthy.

And your last sentence is typical fanboy gibberish... Is SloJuan Willie still "developing" too?

And your last sentence is typical fanboy gibberish... Is SloJuan Willie still "developing" too?
This is a weird leap in logic regarding Wade… hopeless or All Pro. I bet you err on the side of hopelessness.

Devante Parker didn’t develop into a serviceable WR until year 5, Darren Waller didn’t develop into a serviceable TE until year 4, but all Patriot prospects are abject failures if they aren’t All Pros by year 2… sounds legit.

Take your meds.

This is a weird leap in logic regarding Wade… hopeless or All Pro. I bet you err on the side of hopelessness.

Devante Parker didn’t develop into a serviceable WR until year 5, Darren Waller didn’t develop into a serviceable TE until year 4, but all Patriot prospects are abject failures if they aren’t All Pros by year 2… sounds legit.

Take your meds.
They need to be all pro after rookie mini camp or they are busts.

More fanboy gibberish.
It does seem like prospects either pop early or they don’t pop at all. There are exceptions usually explained by injury or a player learning a new position or adjusting to an unfamiliar scheme. But, usually, you drop a draftee or UDFA into the deep end with NFL caliber talent, and you’ll find out whether they can swim or not pretty quickly.

I wouldn’t count on him for anything more than competition and depth, but I have some hope for Wade. Really can’t understand how a guy who played so well on the inside at Ohio State and has all the physical attributes associated with being a good outside corner can’t be a good outside corner.

Maybe, good coaching can help in this instance as could the continued transition into playing more zone on early downs.

Cousin, Still think there is a sneaky way to get last years first rounder (who had a foot injury in training camp) Jaycee Horn as the Panthers Draft goes pick #6 to pick #137 in the 4th.

Then in a block buster add Robbie Anderson.

For a couple players here who need fresh scenery and pick #21 perhaps?
DW Toys

I almost started a thread for this but I've started a few. If someone else wants to go for it.

I keep hearing about people wanting a WR1 but not wanting to pay 20+ million per year for one when Christian Kirk just hit that number lol. The #'s / cap are rising and will continue to go up in the near future. Business is good in the league despite it being a "dying sport" ... anyway times have changed.

Who would you pay WR1 money to???

Would you trade 21 + 85 for AJ Brown and pay him 5/110 in the off season? If not I'm not sure you're ever going to be serious about getting one. Look at what he's done on running team with a PA QB. If he stays healthy he's a top 5-12 WR over the next 6-8 years at 24 yo. Idk sometimes you have to just do it and Brown is that guy over the next half decade.

I'm not necessarily advocating I just see a lot of "I don't want to pay him that money " but "I want a real WR1" ... you either draft one or pay for one. They're not just going to show up at 1PP.

I almost started a thread for this but I've started a few. If someone else wants to go for it.

I keep hearing about people wanting a WR1 but not wanting to pay 20+ million per year for one when Christian Kirk just hit that number lol. The #'s / cap are rising and will continue to go up in the near future. Business is good in the league despite it being a "dying sport" ... anyway times have changed.

Who would you pay WR1 money to???

Would you trade 21 + 85 for AJ Brown and pay him 5/110 in the off season? If not I'm not sure you're ever going to be serious about getting one. Look at what he's done on running team with a PA QB. If he stays healthy he's a top 5-12 WR over the next 6-8 years at 24 yo. Idk sometimes you have to just do it and Brown is that guy over the next half decade.

I'm not necessarily advocating I just see a lot of "I don't want to pay him that money " but "I want a real WR1" ... you either draft one or pay for one. They're not just going to show up at 1PP.
Even if you draft one, by the time you really get him going, you pay him or lose him, as we're seeing now.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back