PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I mentioned Strong's hands above and here's a few examples. *First rep* Heyward actually does a good job of hitting first, does a nice job getting underneath Strong's pit or chest plate its tough to see but Strong regains leverage and really digs in to stop Heyward's power. *2nd rep* Again Heyward makes first contact but Strong recovers and regains hand control - fights through to get inside Heywards chest and fights over Heywards long arm or attempt to control inside. Remember OL are over matched every time they face the guy across from them so "good enough" is really all that matters.

I keep coming back to these "chicken or egg" questions re. Mac and the discrepancies with mechanics you note: how much of this involves (A) timing/coordination with the receivers -- having confidence in WHERE they will be and WHEN plus (B) his having confidence that OL protections are set the way they should be on a given play. In other words, it's not just Mac in a vacuum but 11 moving parts trying to get on the same page in a new offense. Timing isn't the same as under McDaniels's system and what everyone else is doing affects the on-field orchestrator including his mechanics. What normally should be second nature now has him adjusting on the fly, allowing bad habits to creep in.
I think some of that would be happening, for sure but this is mostly on him to figure or work through imo. I think he definitely is thinking too much when it comes to certain things but he's just got to work through and develop that muscle memory. It'll just take time and he's shown he's a worker.

I'm very mindful that's its only week 2. He gets this year to look like a top 12 QB, work on his mechanics etc and next year we'll look at some hard questions but he deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point with the coaching changes, offensive tweaks etc

I mentioned Strong's hands above and here's a few examples. *First rep* Heyward actually does a good job of hitting first, does a nice job getting underneath Strong's pit or chest plate its tough to see but Strong regains leverage and really digs in to stop Heyward's power. *2nd rep* Again Heyward makes first contact but Strong recovers and regains hand control - fights through to get inside Heywards chest and fights over Heywards long arm or attempt to control inside. Remember OL are over matched every time they face the guy across from them so "good enough" is really all that matters.

Wow!

Just being a F'n rockstar at work saving Boston. How are you guys today? What's the vibe over there atm?

Oh, I'm in Boston -- except that you guys think that it's a separate city and call it "Cambridge"! I noticed that it needed some construction work when I came in yesterday from Montreal. They'd closed the Sumner Tunnel and it was tough getting in to the city. But I was a knight in shining armour and invited this (somewhat senior) lady to share my cab. And she invited me to her house on the Cape. Not sure about that one!

Do you mean "Strange" not "Strong"?

Do you mean "Strange" not "Strong"?
I did for w/e reason I messed that up a lot
Oh, I'm in Boston -- except that you guys think that it's a separate city and call it "Cambridge"! I noticed that it needed some construction work when I came in yesterday from Montreal. They'd closed the Sumner Tunnel and it was tough getting in to the city. But I was a knight in shining armour and invited this (somewhat senior) lady to share my cab. And she invited me to her house on the Cape. Not sure about that one!
Ohhh we call it the "people's republic of Cambridge" around there. Those birds are pretty strict. I believe you can't make noise until 7am weekdays and earliest start on a weekend is 9am. No bueno for us salt of the earth guys.

House on the Cape, kid!!???? Tell her you'll buy the beer if she doesn't hog all the covers.

cougar Htown GIF by University of Houston

With just one watch but ...

I've said this before the season but it has to be repeated. Our top targets should be Bourne, Henry and Agholor with Meyers coming up close. Meyers is our 3rd down god. He's clutch but limited respectfully. Also re: Bourne - If Bourne is dressing he should be playing most of the snaps. Good coaches don't allow these things to linger and this issue has been sitting in the middle of the field for over a month now. I can't imagine you're getting a ton for Bourne especially if it's known he's in the doghouse. Bourne was our best WR last year. With Mac all offseason. Signed to a decent deal. This issue has been handled terribly and needs to be resolved by the end of the week.
I agree with the order of priority, with JonNo at #5 ahead of Parker, who should have ZERO targets, and Snaps, until further notice.

OL looked much better overall. Strange was very good and looked better in all areas but looked much more confident and sharper coming downhill on some of our power/gap runs. Very good in pass pro showed some decent hands but much more confident. He was our best player on either side. Our IOL was much better but Strange & Andrews were very good. Big Mike excels with IZ, power but his footwork is a little sloppy on anything stretch so far. Last week almost 40% of of runs went for 0 or - yards. Today we ran for like 25/120 but both the OL & RB looked sharper. OL was plus today in pass pro without Watt which can't be understated bc he's a legit top 30 player in the league including QB's. Still though we needed this game and looked better.
Better than last week, that's for sure... But they & the rest of the offense have to STOP committing penalties; they're simply not talented- or well-coached-enough to overcome 1st/15s.

Mac really pulls his hip forward when passing and lately he's been opening up a bit too early, too wide. Some have more pop, more explosion. Some are more exaggerated than others, like Mac. His footwork is a bit sloppy too at times. He's clearly working it out and I'm no expert but his hips are a bit inconsistent snap to snap. Along with his base, weight transfer. Struggling to see a noticeable difference in velocity but again he's clearly still putting it together. So much of this stuff is mental and he's clearly not 100% right in terms of running/having full functionality of the offense (which isnt the worst thing considering what we'vebeendoing the last two weeks), confidence and ability to manipulate pre/post snap.
I talked about this a little last week but he's definitely having trouble post snap. Coming off a look or adjustment, pre snap to post when the defense adjust has been an issue. He's been late since last year after seeing those first few frames a defense will give him post snap. Dealing with delayed pressure and decision making post snap has been off. He's been good to survivable and has a great attitude so I get why he's where he is. We need extraordinary in order to be top 2-4 team though.
Pitt threw a lot of shells, c2 at Mac so he ate up the mof and pushed the ball downfield on occasion. He thought pressure was coming on at least two occasions and got rid of the ball too quick before the sticks so he's definitely feeling it...
Hard to believe in this day & age in the NFL, but almost everything about Mac looks worse than it did at this time last year, and that's all on the horrible, clownish coaching & play-calling he's being given.

The OL was very good though. It's week 2 they're not married yet bc the line is new, new coaching etc so there's a ton of reason to be hopeful without being a homer. That offense should absolutely improve.
The offense will improve only when the QB & play-calling improves, and when Bourne is given ALL of Parker's snaps.

Judon made a few nice plays. He's so good at rushing inside. Great play in coverage. Barmore flashed. Peppers looked good in limited snaps? Wise has been a top 3-5 defender for us. Wilson flashed which was nice. DL looked good. Phillips was solid as usual.
Defense would be even better right now if Myles of Space Bryant wasn't on the team.

Ugly game but 1-1 is all that matters and we beat an AFC team. Lots of room for growth and improvement everywhere but a big difference in attitude and overall demeanor from last week which was nice... Go Pats!!!

Dam I hope they can somehow beat the Murderer-Worshippers... I ****ing despise those maggots.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back