PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Shaq doesn't look to be in very good shape in that photo, and that was what I noticed about his final couple years here in NE, too. He seemed to put on a lot of (bad) weight and didn't look to be moving as well as he used to. At the time he was traded I thought that element (physical shape/conditioning) was a big part of the decision, and I still think that way.

It might be the helmet... Those things make everyone look fat...

Henry's contract is going to look like a bargain. BB playing chess again. ;)

Only watched the game once, haven't read or seen any opinions even on here so it's possible I'm off.

Mac / Play calling - wasn't impressed if I'm being objective. He had a few well placed balls but literally just a few. Too many floaters, overthrown targets but then again the play calling wasn't exactly what you'd expect from a guy that is great targeting the MOF. Sure you can always point to execution and maybe we're looking to target the deep areas of the field but that's a dangerous game of feast or famine with this group of targets. Like you have plenty of targets that can work that area and we kind of ignored those places. Some of his others passes just hung in the air though. He recognized a lot pre snap but failed to execute on at least two pressures, one sack. Trent Brown was also bad all around, pass pro and run blocking and responsible for one sack but Mac was off at directing his guys and has to be more aware himself. Not a good day.
Play calling was preseason-esque again completely avoided the MOF, forgot PA and didn't exactly break out the entire playbook in terms of routes, options and adjustments. Post snap we didn't adjust at all. The OL, Mac, play calling ... we were simple, slow and frankly looked like one of the least competitive teams yesterday. That's not on talent. Sure we could use some juice, some quick twitch on offense but usually NEP teams are sharp, precise and mentally tough. Not the case yesterday. We all know Bill likes to experiment, he plays the long game, always has but we don't have the best player to ever step on the field anymore to tip the margins when things are razor close. We all heard Bill's comments about the game and again you don't have the GOAT to tip the scales when things are that close. I'm not panicking bc I think 10 wins is our ceiling but we have to do better and show up early on in the season.

Trent Brown looked slow. Wasn't that effective in the run game but looked slow in pass pro which is worrisome bc he's always had an efficient, powerful slide out his stance. Mac was responsible for one sack but Brown has to be better.

We have to figure the Bourne situation out quick. Again I haven't read or watched anything so he could be traded for all I know. I'm at work and just got called off my break so I have no idea but he was our best offensive weapon last year in the rec game. Kobi is clutch af. Couple of big 3rd down catches yesterday as he always does but we need Bourne and Agholor to be our WR1 & 2 if this offense is to hits its peak. Very frustrating bc we just signed him.

Dugger is a top 10 Saf when it comes to anything within 20 yards of the los but has take better angles and see the play properly when playing deep. Whether it's timing a jump ball or trying to cut off a target he's has consistent trouble. Unbelievable run defender and closing in on screens, slants etc but has to step up when it comes to the deep stuff.

We need more aggressiveness, fight and emotion. I know it's week 1 in Miami but this team should be hungry and ready to prove a point each week. Definitely didn't feel like that yesterday. I know it was in Miami but again this team really needs to create an identity, some personality soon. All come back to some stuff. Feel free to leave some comments or tell me I suck.

Agreed... Our QB wasn't good enough, again... Our LT & our 29th overall pick LG weren't good enough either...

Parker & Monty are so... ****ing... sloooooow...

Stevenson needs to be Way more productive than that... Doesn't help that your coaches abandoned the running game for stretches throughout the day...

FREE KENDRICK BOURNE

And we haven't even mentioned the defense that some thought was "pretty good" and played "very well" yesterday... LOL...

We absolutely need more aggressiveness, fight, emotion & hunger... But I don't believe that this coaching staff (or this QB right now) is capable of providing it... The proof of the pudding is in the tasting; and if we start the season 0-4 then we'll all know exactly how this tastes...

Last edited:
Agreed... Our QB wasn't good enough, again... Our LT & our 29th overall pick LG weren't good enough either...

Parker & Monty are so... ****ing... sloooooow...

Stevenson needs to me Way more productive than that... Doesn't help that your coaches abandoned the running game for stretches throughout the day...

FREE KENDRICK BOURNE

And we haven't even mentioned the defense that some thought was "pretty good" and played "very well" yesterday... LOL...

We absolutely need more aggressiveness, fight, emotion & hunger... But I don't believe that this coaching staff (or this QB right now) is capable of providing it... The proof of the pudding is in the tasting; and if we start the season 0-4 then we'll all know exactly how this tastes...
Strange was fine.

Only watched the game once, haven't read or seen any opinions even on here so it's possible I'm off.

Mac / Play calling - wasn't impressed if I'm being objective. He had a few well placed balls but literally just a few. Too many floaters, overthrown targets but then again the play calling wasn't exactly what you'd expect from a guy that is great targeting the MOF. Sure you can always point to execution and maybe we're looking to target the deep areas of the field but that's a dangerous game of feast or famine with this group of targets. Like you have plenty of targets that can work that area and we kind of ignored those places. Some of his others passes just hung in the air though. He recognized a lot pre snap but failed to execute on at least two pressures, one sack. Trent Brown was also bad all around, pass pro and run blocking and responsible for one sack but Mac was off at directing his guys and has to be more aware himself. Not a good day.
Play calling was preseason-esque again completely avoided the MOF, forgot PA and didn't exactly break out the entire playbook in terms of routes, options and adjustments. Post snap we didn't adjust at all. The OL, Mac, play calling ... we were simple, slow and frankly looked like one of the least competitive teams yesterday. That's not on talent. Sure we could use some juice, some quick twitch on offense but usually NEP teams are sharp, precise and mentally tough. Not the case yesterday. We all know Bill likes to experiment, he plays the long game, always has but we don't have the best player to ever step on the field anymore to tip the margins when things are razor close. We all heard Bill's comments about the game and again you don't have the GOAT to tip the scales when things are that close. I'm not panicking bc I think 10 wins is our ceiling but we have to do better and show up early on in the season.

Trent Brown looked slow. Wasn't that effective in the run game but looked slow in pass pro which is worrisome bc he's always had an efficient, powerful slide out his stance. Mac was responsible for one sack but Brown has to be better.

We have to figure the Bourne situation out quick. Again I haven't read or watched anything so he could be traded for all I know. I'm at work and just got called off my break so I have no idea but he was our best offensive weapon last year in the rec game. Kobi is clutch af. Couple of big 3rd down catches yesterday as he always does but we need Bourne and Agholor to be our WR1 & 2 if this offense is to hits its peak. Very frustrating bc we just signed him.

Dugger is a top 10 Saf when it comes to anything within 20 yards of the los but has take better angles and see the play properly when playing deep. Whether it's timing a jump ball or trying to cut off a target he's has consistent trouble. Unbelievable run defender and closing in on screens, slants etc but has to step up when it comes to the deep stuff.

We need more aggressiveness, fight and emotion. I know it's week 1 in Miami but this team should be hungry and ready to prove a point each week. Definitely didn't feel like that yesterday. I know it was in Miami but again this team really needs to create an identity, some personality soon. All come back to some stuff. Feel free to leave some comments or tell me I suck.

In this new offense I wonder whether there's a coordination learning curve re. timing and route running vs. what was done last year under McDaniels' system. In other words, if Mac and the receivers are still trying to figure out what to expect of each other that might explain some of the errant throws. Superior accuracy was his hallmark last season.

winner statement tbh, on point
The play calling was a nightmare imo. When you have second and long and we try an inside zone run between the tackles for a loss which did not work the 5 times we tried it before then i am completely lost in front of the TV. It seemed to me that Mac had to throw a lot of check downs in the first quarters until we were behind and opened the playbook because we had no choice other than attack downfield aggressiv. He looked better than. All in All i am a little confused by many writers etc pumping about Mac's development etc in the offseason. I know it's way too early but i am not seeing it at least in this game. I know O-Line, WR Seperation and play calling were issues as well because on some plays Mac had the time but couldn't find anyone and threw it into double or triple coverage (throw to Henry late in the Game). I was not confident in Patricia and Judge from my gut feeling and the game certainly didn't change that.

I am thinking if Brown and Onwenu is the right personnel for some of the outside zone stuff we are trying. I would question this. Both look to me like perfect power run blockers, not so much for stretch/outside zone stuff.
Also where was the roll out / play action stuff as you mentioned? Forgot it in Foxborough?

One thing positive is the run defense. The Pass defense is hard to judge because i thought tua was really bad. Although Jack Jones did not make the INT, i thought he ran the route really well. Might be our best Man Corner soon. Judon, Barmore looked good. I wonder aboout Jennings.
The LB are still not looking that fast although Dugger makes up for that a bit. Special Teams looked improved.
What did Marcus Jones do that Myles Briant is ahead of him? This dude can't tackle nor cover on a starter level.

winner statement tbh, on point
The play calling was a nightmare imo. When you have second and long and we try an inside zone run between the tackles for a loss which did not work the 5 times we tried it before then i am completely lost in front of the TV. It seemed to me that Mac had to throw a lot of check downs in the first quarters until we were behind and opened the playbook because we had no choice other than attack downfield aggressiv. He looked better than. All in All i am a little confused by many writers etc pumping about Mac's development etc in the offseason. I know it's way too early but i am not seeing it at least in this game. I know O-Line, WR Seperation and play calling were issues as well because on some plays Mac had the time but couldn't find anyone and threw it into double or triple coverage (throw to Henry late in the Game). I was not confident in Patricia and Judge from my gut feeling and the game certainly didn't change that.
Yep, and Mac's still eye-balling Henry & Meyers, and now he's added forcing-feeding Parker to his growing list of bad habits...

I am thinking if Brown and Onwenu is the right personnel for some of the outside zone stuff we are trying. I would question this. Both look to me like perfect power run blockers, not so much for stretch/outside zone stuff.
Also where was the roll out / play action stuff as you mentioned? Forgot it in Foxborough?
Brown when healthy & Onwenu were their best OLmen last year, and now they're being tasked with doing something they're not well-equipped to do: beating to a spot a DLman who isn't directly in from of them... Both of them are too slow off the snap to get there...

One thing positive is the run defense. The Pass defense is hard to judge because i thought tua was really bad. Although Jack Jones did not make the INT, i thought he ran the route really well. Might be our best Man Corner soon. Judon, Barmore looked good. I wonder aboout Jennings.
The LB are still not looking that fast although Dugger makes up for that a bit.
Bentley & Jalopy Tavai were their usual Gawd-Awful selves, but I was especially disappointed in McMillian... He was the Worst player on defense not named Bryant... He made Uncle Dugg look like Champ Bailey in coverage...

Speaking of the Space-man...
What did Marcus Jones do that Myles Briant is ahead of him? This dude can't tackle nor cover on a starter level.

Myles Bryant is a ****ing Disgrace to the flying Elvis and should've been given his release papers on the flight home.

With just one watch but ...

I've said this before the season but it has to be repeated. Our top targets should be Bourne, Henry and Agholor with Meyers coming up close. Meyers is our 3rd down god. He's clutch but limited respectfully. Also re: Bourne - If Bourne is dressing he should be playing most of the snaps. Good coaches don't allow these things to linger and this issue has been sitting in the middle of the field for over a month now. I can't imagine you're getting a ton for Bourne especially if it's known he's in the doghouse. Bourne was our best WR last year. With Mac all offseason. Signed to a decent deal. This issue has been handled terribly and needs to be resolved by the end of the week.

OL looked much better overall. Strange was very good and looked better in all areas but looked much more confident and sharper coming downhill on some of our power/gap runs. Very good in pass pro showed some decent hands but much more confident. He was our best player on either side. Our IOL was much better but Strange & Andrews were very good. Big Mike excels with IZ, power but his footwork is a little sloppy on anything stretch so far. Last week almost 40% of of runs went for 0 or - yards. Today we ran for like 25/120 but both the OL & RB looked sharper. OL was plus today in pass pro without Watt which can't be understated bc he's a legit top 30 player in the league including QB's. Still though we needed this game and looked better.

Mac really pulls his hip forward when passing and lately he's been opening up a bit too early, too wide. Some have more pop, more explosion. Some are more exaggerated than others, like Mac. His footwork is a bit sloppy too at times. He's clearly working it out and I'm no expert but his hips are a bit inconsistent snap to snap. Along with his base, weight transfer. Struggling to see a noticeable difference in velocity but again he's clearly still putting it together. So much of this stuff is mental and he's clearly not 100% right in terms of running/having full functionality of the offense (which isnt the worst thing considering what we'vebeendoing the last two weeks), confidence and ability to manipulate pre/post snap.
I talked about this a little last week but he's definitely having trouble post snap. Coming off a look or adjustment, pre snap to post when the defense adjust has been an issue. He's been late since last year after seeing those first few frames a defense will give him post snap. Dealing with delayed pressure and decision making post snap has been off. He's been good to survivable and has a great attitude so I get why he's where he is. We need extraordinary in order to be top 2-4 team though.

Pitt threw a lot of shells, c2 at Mac so he ate up the mof and pushed the ball downfield on occasion. He thought pressure was coming on at least two occasions and got rid of the ball too quick before the sticks so he's definitely feeling it. The OL was very good though. It's week 2 they're not married yet bc the line is new, new coaching etc so there's a ton of reason to be hopeful without being a homer. That offense should absolutely improve.

Judon made a few nice plays. He's so good at rushing inside. Great play in coverage. Barmore flashed. Peppers looked good in limited snaps? Wise has been a top 3-5 defender for us. Wilson flashed which was nice. DL looked good. Phillips was solid as usual.

Ugly game but 1-1 is all that matters and we beat an AFC team. Lots of room for growth and improvement everywhere but a big difference in attitude and overall demeanor from last week which was nice.

Go Pats!!!

With just one watch but ...

I've said this before the season but it has to be repeated. Our top targets should be Bourne, Henry and Agholor with Meyers coming up close. Meyers is our 3rd down god. He's clutch but limited respectfully. Also re: Bourne - If Bourne is dressing he should be playing most of the snaps. Good coaches don't allow these things to linger and this issue has been sitting in the middle of the field for over a month now. I can't imagine you're getting a ton for Bourne especially if it's known he's in the doghouse. Bourne was our best WR last year. With Mac all offseason. Signed to a decent deal. This issue has been handled terribly and needs to be resolved by the end of the week.

OL looked much better overall. Strange was very good and looked better in all areas but looked much more confident and sharper coming downhill on some of our power/gap runs. Very good in pass pro showed some decent hands but much more confident. He was our best player on either side. Our IOL was much better but Strange & Andrews were very good. Big Mike excels with IZ, power but his footwork is a little sloppy on anything stretch so far. Last week almost 40% of of runs went for 0 or - yards. Today we ran for like 25/120 but both the OL & RB looked sharper. OL was plus today in pass pro without Watt which can't be understated bc he's a legit top 30 player in the league including QB's. Still though we needed this game and looked better.

Mac really pulls his hip forward when passing and lately he's been opening up a bit too early, too wide. Some have more pop, more explosion. Some are more exaggerated than others, like Mac. His footwork is a bit sloppy too at times. He's clearly working it out and I'm no expert but his hips are a bit inconsistent snap to snap. Along with his base, weight transfer. Struggling to see a noticeable difference in velocity but again he's clearly still putting it together. So much of this stuff is mental and he's clearly not 100% right in terms of running/having full functionality of the offense (which isnt the worst thing considering what we'vebeendoing the last two weeks), confidence and ability to manipulate pre/post snap.
I talked about this a little last week but he's definitely having trouble post snap. Coming off a look or adjustment, pre snap to post when the defense adjust has been an issue. He's been late since last year after seeing those first few frames a defense will give him post snap. Dealing with delayed pressure and decision making post snap has been off. He's been good to survivable and has a great attitude so I get why he's where he is. We need extraordinary in order to be top 2-4 team though.

Pitt threw a lot of shells, c2 at Mac so he ate up the mof and pushed the ball downfield on occasion. He thought pressure was coming on at least two occasions and got rid of the ball too quick before the sticks so he's definitely feeling it. The OL was very good though. It's week 2 they're not married yet bc the line is new, new coaching etc so there's a ton of reason to be hopeful without being a homer. That offense should absolutely improve.

Judon made a few nice plays. He's so good at rushing inside. Great play in coverage. Barmore flashed. Peppers looked good in limited snaps? Wise has been a top 3-5 defender for us. Wilson flashed which was nice. DL looked good. Phillips was solid as usual.

Ugly game but 1-1 is all that matters and we beat an AFC team. Lots of room for growth and improvement everywhere but a big difference in attitude and overall demeanor from last week which was nice.

Go Pats!!!

I keep coming back to these "chicken or egg" questions re. Mac and the discrepancies with mechanics you note: how much of this involves (A) timing/coordination with the receivers -- having confidence in WHERE they will be and WHEN plus (B) his having confidence that OL protections are set the way they should be on a given play. In other words, it's not just Mac in a vacuum but 11 moving parts trying to get on the same page in a new offense. Timing isn't the same as under McDaniels's system and what everyone else is doing affects the on-field orchestrator including his mechanics. What normally should be second nature now has him adjusting on the fly, allowing bad habits to creep in.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back