PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

Play-Calling in Chicago is a mess. They need more RPO, Roll-Out, designed QB run stuff with a dual QB like Fields to get him some "easy" completions and confidence.

This isn't good when you're trying to win close games
View attachment 36743

The problem here is that who determines when they "SHOULD" go for it? What plays specifically? What metric determines should vs. shouldn't. Without that information, the chart is worthless.

@dreighver - How can you say that Perkins is a 3 down player when he as yet to take a snap for the Pats. Also, the Pats are developing Perkins, not as an EDGE player, but as a pure OLB. So, to say he's a good start when the Pats have no intention to play him on the line is confusing.

Not sure what you expected to see out of Dugger. He's started every game. He's played 401 defensive snaps (84%) He's got more interceptions this year than last. He's doing better in coverage in that opposing QBs have only completed 13/21 (61.9) compared to 24/33 (72.7%) last year. He's also on pace to have over 100 total tackles. We're you expecting him to be a shut-down ALL-PRO Safety already?

As for Uche, I don't believe your evaluation of him is fair either. Uche would have sacked Brady for a Safety if the Bucs lineman hadn't held him by his shoulder pads keeping in a textbook hold right in front of the Referee that didn't draw a call. And Uche has 3 sacks this year with a limited increase in snaps to this point.. He's taking 36% compared to 31% last year.

Also, lets remember that 2020 was a CF year for both these players. Let's see were things go through the rest of the season before writing players off.

Play-Calling in Chicago is a mess. They need more RPO, Roll-Out, designed QB run stuff with a dual QB like Fields to get him some "easy" completions and confidence.

Wow... Nagy's gone if they don't make the POs again... For da Bears' sake I hope that the same people who thought it a good idea to trade UP for Trubisky are also gone if they haven't been told to leave already.

@dreighver - How can you say that Perkins is a 3 down player when he as yet to take a snap for the Pats. Also, the Pats are developing Perkins, not as an EDGE player, but as a pure OLB. So, to say he's a good start when the Pats have no intention to play him on the line is confusing.

Not sure what you expected to see out of Dugger. He's started every game. He's played 401 defensive snaps (84%) He's got more interceptions this year than last. He's doing better in coverage in that opposing QBs have only completed 13/21 (61.9) compared to 24/33 (72.7%) last year. He's also on pace to have over 100 total tackles. We're you expecting him to be a shut-down ALL-PRO Safety already?

As for Uche, I don't believe your evaluation of him is fair either. Uche would have sacked Brady for a Safety if the Bucs lineman hadn't held him by his shoulder pads keeping in a textbook hold right in front of the Referee that didn't draw a call. And Uche has 3 sacks this year with a limited increase in snaps to this point.. He's taking 36% compared to 31% last year.

Also, lets remember that 2020 was a CF year for both these players. Let's see were things go through the rest of the season before writing players off.

I didn't write any players off; I offered my evaluation of their play to this point.

I am predicting Perkins is a 3-down player based upon his role in college and the fact that he's working at OLB is more of an indication of that, not less of one, IMO. You say the Pats have "no intention to play him on the line", which surprises me since 3-4 OLBs in this defense play on the line often.

I was hoping to see more of a jump from Dugger but I'm not down on the guy, I just said I cooled on him a bit. No major concerns but I would've liked to see him playing a bit faster/looser at times. The recent INTs seem to have given him a bit of a swagger/confidence which is encouraging, and unsurprisingly they came further down the field. I do think he's better suited for a downfield, "playing with his eyes/stuff in front of him" type of role, rather than chasing bodies at the LOS. Forgive the absolutely ridiculous comparison because Dugger isn't anywhere near these guys, but to illustrate my point, I think Dugger is more of an Ed Reed than a Polamalu, if that makes sense.

My description of Uche isn't inconsistent with anything you said. He's been fine in his role but I was hoping to see more of a jump from him (especially in a 3-down role). His closing-speed and sideline-to-sideline ability is in Jamie Collins territory (which is rare), so I was thinking he might be suited for doing some off-ball chasing, which they haven't done a ton of with him. My dad is a Michigan alum so I especially root for all the Michigan guys who come through here.

As for the point about 2020, fair enough, that is a good thing to keep in mind. Probably worth giving them through the better part of 2022 before reaching lasting conclusions.

In college uche really did not have a real position on the defense.

Is it realistic to assume he is going carve out a role in the pros?

he kind of is it he is…..a designated pass rusher.

Staley, who was coaching D3 not too long ago has become one of the more creative and better defensive coaches in the league. The former John Carroll coach has been making waves before coming into the league in draft / college football circles. Very smart, forward thinking coach. Well spoken and looks like one of the better coaches in the league rn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris and Stevenson have a day today, if Rham is active. I could see two back sets working against them. Wouldn't be surprised if Johnson makes a play or two as well. They've given up some big runs right up the gut and to the right side so I wouldn't be surprised to see us break out some duo, inside zone, FB lead and some counter to really balance it out. I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ catch a pass off PA but yea the Chargers run susceptible to some big runs in certain areas. I'm hoping our OL is ready and fired up bc they should have plenty of opportunities against this team. He really got the best out playing the run in both C1/C2 but the Chargers are clearly struggling defending the run rn. They just don't have the horses up front to clog up those interior lanes.

Staley has no problem building his D outside/in whereas others might go inside/out. Or at least he has no problem utilizing the secondary to help out all over. He puts a ton of responsibility of his DB's. A ton, John Johnson wore the green dot with Rams I believe. And was Mr. everything for that defense. Staley really does a great job of cutting off crossers and in-breaking routes. He'll have his LB's make route runners round off a lot of crosses or in-breaking stuff to make it easier on his guys coming down from a shell or w/e. Like at times you can look at his front and see some tells from the front as well. If you're light in the box and a weakside 4i lined up you can probably expect a S crashing down to protect that C gap or edge depending on the call. Most people start off looking the S's, that's how I was taught when looking at film but again the front can give some stuff away as well bc teams are constantly disguising but you know gaps have to filled from somewhere.

Staley really did a great job of utilizing and maximizing Donald and Ramsey in 3rd downs, especially AD. Teams spent so much time and energy on stopping him, so Staley would constantly mess with protections moving AD around and overloading a side with him on it. You'd get open lanes to the other bc AD is always doubled, always has focus on him. He always would have him crash down the line to penetrate for a stunt. Completely killing that double but opening up gaps to the overloaded side.

He's all about creating good opportunities for his guys by trying to get as many as 2 on 1's as possible in the 2nd and 3rd levels. He has no problem giving up some yards to protect or have multiple defenders on the most targeted parts of field to achieve getting 2 on 1 in the space.

He plays a lot of C6/C8 (Quarter, Quarter, Half) - basically mix of C4 & C2. Depending on the situation you'll mostly see C2 (boundary side) to one side, C4 the other. Some teams are worried or focusing on that backside WR so I could see taken advantage of the quarters side with our TE's lined up on the same side to work the curl/flat that could a liability. Keep getting creative and moving Smith around. Push Henry up the seam. Keep working off both in different areas.

Again he depends a lot on his DB's. Disguise, coming up and acting as a LB. This seems natural and like a no-brainer but most teams are not doing it believe it or not.

View attachment 37038

I'm expecting a good game. We've gotten past the jitters and anxiety with Tom and Tampa. Been through a bunch of close games with good teams in TB & Dallas. We should be fired up on all side knowing what it takes to beat good teams. Really looking forward to this one. So many great players on the field at all times. Road game across the country. They will be amped up after last year. This will be a great litmus test imo.

Go Pats!!!

Didn't catch the game live but watched the full replay. Was a bit miffed when I saw Agholor's TD come early on the Bourne pass, because when I glanced at the box score (before watching the game) I had assumed Mac and Agholor finally hit a deep one, but apparently not. Nonetheless, he got the deep-shot I wanted to see on the throw to Bourne (over 50 yards in the air, I read; that was an NFL caliber throw and he didn't have a ton of room to step into it).
Really nice pass but KB made this play imo. Clean release but his hand fighting was key. Subtle, didn't extend his arms or make anything noticeable. Started right away and gave his man a little arm bar at the end. Great stuff from KB there. When the hands stop, the feet usually stop as well.
If Mac can make that throw as a rookie, his arm strength is more than fine. Arm velocity is a bit different of a trait than pure airborne time, and I still think Mac could benefit from more zip on some of his throws, which I believe he'll develop as he physically matures and gets more time in an NFL strength/conditioning program.

Some of the arm velocity, too, is footwork and mechanical, and Mac has some sloppy habits on shorter throws with his feet which sometimes might affect the ball velocity. That said, I'm sure the team is toeing a fine line between trying to coach that out and just letting the guy play in a way that's most comfortable/intuitive. Sometimes guys are more accurate/comfortable with their own habits and trying to break those through methodical technique reworks can do more harm than good. It's something I think they'll try to work with him on this offseason (strength/arm velocity in general, part of which will be resetting his feet and making sure his leverage/technique is sound).
I've wrote about this a lot, before and after the draft. This is from draft day but echoed my thoughts before the draft as well. I think we see a new Mac next year in terms of physique and conditioning. I think between training hard and tweaking his mechanics a little you could see some real unlocked potential.

Draft day ...
Mechanics, Jones doesn't have the greatest arm but if you watch him close, his launch point/the follow through of his delivery tends to lose steam at times, a little loose. A tweak in his delivery might do wonders. Anyone who really watched him saw the balls die in the air at times. Esp outside the #'s - corner-deep out. Stuff that requires quick gas. I think his base and feet are fine when he's clean but his delivery could be a little tighter, more compact overall imo. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear something like this in the future. There are plenty of stories about him being a film nut. Nagy and Saban have told several stories about catching him watching film after hours while the janitors are sweeping and the place is empty. So it's obviously there. Rewatching him again, his anticipation always stands out. I have to say that's easily his best trait. He really does have + anticipation and good accuracy. Feet could be quicker, they get sloppy under pressure but he moves very well in the pocket. Another thing that really stood out was his ability to adjust to the game plan and subtle changes. Bama gets credited with running a "pro scheme" for some reason but that's just stuff people hear and repeat. Maybe a simplified one but that's another subject. Anyway the real good stuff is what he's able to do after halftime, when Sark gets a look at the defense & decides to attack. When there's a weakness to be exploited he's on it and able. So while Bama is essentially a simplified RPO offense, Jones was a hitman at times when ask to do something different, adjust on the fly and play with some refinement. He handled everything Sark threw at him. Shined on the big stage. No doubt Bill will build that chip on his shoulder up even more. I'm optimistic and excited to see what Mac can do with Bill and Josh. Hoping we keep the RPO, it's a nice safety blanket for him. This a is great place for him. If you're a Pats fan you should be very happy. It doesn't matter who you liked or you're binky was. Mac is a Pat, cheap and more than capable. Most of his upside is in the mental part of the game but I believe his arm/arm talent could absolutely improve with a tweak to mechanics.

Mac aside, Harris is as good of a player/human-being combination as you'll find. Quietly becoming one of my favorite Patriots (ever). Glad to see them get Jonnu touches early and specifically target him. More of that, please. Hopefully the shoulder is relatively minor.
He's such a good dude. We're lucky to have him. Harris is a great locker room guy but also has some plus traits that stand out each week. The vision between him and Sony is undeniable. Like Harris has much better overall vision but definitely has superior peripheral vision. Plus contact balance. Work to do in pass pro but he was great in college. We're lucky to have him and Rham for that matter. I'm really excited to see what they can do together when finally unleashed.
Beyond that, the offensive line looked rock solid. I was fully in the camp that Onwenu would be equally good at G, and maybe he could be under the right circumstances, but he looks out of this world at RT. I'm not sure what it is, but my sense is that he's stronger than most LEs, and equally as quick. Watching him work at RT is a thing of beauty. That got me thinking where Brown will play if/when he returns. Wynn was better this week but still not great. Do you do a 1:1 swap, Brown for Wynn? Does either Onwenu or Wynn kick inside, and Karras sits? Will be interesting to see.

They need a true boundary WR. Even after they signed Bourne & Agholor I remember it being reported that they were still pursuing another WR (at the time it was said to be AJ Green). I think this team, regardless of the QB, needs a true boundary WR ... but especially so with Mac Jones and his throwing style/comfort zone; he throws with such touch & seems to like those go/fade routes outside the numbers, so I think those type of receivers specifically (Devonta Smith is a perfect example) will be sought going forward.
We definitely need another boundary WR and a real slot/yac guy. As of now I'm going DL/OL first but LB/DB/WR is right there imo. Like we're not hurting, hurting but we need a big-time playmaker for sure. There's no one keeping DC's up at night.
They made some defensive adjustments this week. A big one was the 4-man rush, and specifically getting a guy with his hand in the dirt opposite Barmore. Remember all those stats about Barmore drawing the most double teams? Watching the first 5-6 weeks of the season, on obvious passing situations Barmore was almost always the only guy on the inside of a 3-man line, so naturally he got doubled a lot and his production (while impressive) was limited. They specifically put Ekuale next to Barmore to eat some blocks and create more space for Barmore, and ************ did he feast. That is the type of forward-thinking, subtle but significant coaching adjustments that we've come to appreciate from Belichick/Patriots.
He came from a slant system and we're using him in a lot of the same ways. Again this is why I want to go DL early again. Get Barmore a running mate or two and don't hold back. Let's bring back Warren, Sey & Wilfork. It's clear Bill doesn't view Uche & Wino as full-time players either. We need another IDL and edge rusher imo.
The early blitz by Myles Bryant was a good tendency breaker. Judon is still a beast. Carl Davis/Godchaux/Guy are good, not great on the interior. They're fine, but they need a young running mate next to Barmore to develop. Ideally that running mate would be more in the mold of a run-defender, but with 3-down capability. If they could manage to get their hands on Jordan Davis (the UGA DT) I would completely sh*t my pants.
Yup. Davis has been on fire this year after an inconsistent season last year (Covid) It's another weak(er) IDL classes so we might want to go early? Anyway Barmore needs another partner.
Losing DMac for at least part of the game (hopefully not too long-term) may have been a bit of a blessing in disguise. I can't remember the last time they secondary didn't have him on the field, and with his career clearly coming to an end soon they need to get used to life without him and I thought they managed well in his absence, no busted coverages or blown plays. I'd still like to see Dugger in more of a deep, MoF, zone role (I think his closing speed and instincts are special and having him chasing bodies near LOS and not playing with his eyes might not be his best role).
He played a ton of high looks in college so it's not like he wasn't done it. He's improved some of his weaknesses but still has a long ways to go. Really need him to be a top tier player.
Bentley, as much as I still don't like seeing him in space, has been consistent this season. If they could trim him down 5-10 lbs, he might actually be a 3-down NFL LB. I don't watch him and think he'd lose much of his run stuffing ability and physicality if he dropped 5-7 lbs. 10 might be too much to lose, but getting him from his listed weight of 255 to 248 may not be a bad idea. If this isn't a possibility, or if it was to happen but wouldn't make Bentley any more nimble in space, then they need to another MLB (or two) soon. McGrone is a good step in the right direction.
McGrone was specifically brought in to be that do-it-all LB but yea we absolutely need an overhaul with the LB position.
Uche's playing time is dwindling. I hope they try him inside before giving up on the guy. He's not a 3-down player at this point, not nearly good enough against the run, and doesn't seem particularly instinctive. He's really stinking athletic, and that's about it. I'm not sure that he'll have a role inside, but beyond being a situational rusher/spy, he doesn't currently have any other place on the team, so it's worth a shot. He's fine in his current role but I haven't seen anything particularly encouraging from him, or anything that indicates progress/growth.

I mentioned a week or two ago that (based on reading another forum which has some plugged-in folks) Caserio had legitimate autonomy here. Obviously Belichick signed-off on players/picks, but Caserio implemented a scouting/evaluation/personnel prioritization system and Belichick let him drive the ship in that regard. Winovich and Uche were Caserio picks. Niche, athletic guys with seeming value in the modern game, but they had their red flags. The first draft in Caserio's absence saw different types of picks, IMO, particularly defensively. Barmore is a 3-down player. Perkins is a 3-down player. Also, as I mentioned above, I'm encouraged by their drafting of McGrone, because he's a legitimate, modern ILB should he get healthy and pick-up the system. I thought he was Michigan's best defensive player at times - quietly optimistic about him (and what him being drafted means about our philosophy drafting ILBs going forward).
Yea we definitely needed to make a change and this last draft sticks out in a few ways. Biggest one is attitude imo. We drafted guys that have big-time attitudes in Perk, Barmore, Rham, Mac, McGrone. Lots of energy, leadership and attitude in this class.

I'm always here if Bill needs another set of eyes and opinions but seriously hoping for a little shake up there. It's been a clear issue for years and I always give prospects/teams time to make it work.
In that vein, I also think they need another EDGE opposite Judon, because it's not Uche or Wino. Perkins is a good start, we'll see if he gets any traction in the next season or two. Van Noy isn't a bad prototype for what that player should look like, but he's clearly too old at this point.

The secondary is solid. Mills has his limitations but I like him more than most, especially his instincts and physicality. I've cooled on Dugger a bit (was hoping to see a bigger jump) but he's solid, no major complaints; maybe he'll make more a jump later this season or in his third year. J.C. continues to perform. They need to flesh-out the DBs this offseason but I think they're in a decent place.
We're on the same page lol

it's been embarrassing at times but better today. Talk about NOT helping your rookie QB out. OL has missed and just flat out failed with protections. Multiple snap issues. Nagy probably should be gone and owes a lot to Fangio. I hate seeing young players ruined by mediocre-bad coaches.

I didn't write any players off; I offered my evaluation of their play to this point.

I am predicting Perkins is a 3-down player based upon his role in college and the fact that he's working at OLB is more of an indication of that, not less of one, IMO. You say the Pats have "no intention to play him on the line", which surprises me since 3-4 OLBs in this defense play on the line often.
It's not what "I say". It's what he said when he was interviewed about the position change.

it's been embarrassing at times but better today. Talk about NOT helping your rookie QB out. OL has missed and just flat out failed with protections. Multiple snap issues. Nagy probably should be gone and owes a lot to Fangio. I hate seeing young players ruined by mediocre-bad coaches.
Yeah i Need to watch their game today tomorrow but just looking at stats it seems like they agreed to use some qb runs. I think this makes it a lot easier for him since a defense need to account not only for rb or pass.

A part of me always looks at these things as a draftnik but if I try to take that hat I try to look at every pick like this ...

If there's a plan of attack with the pick I'm ok with it unless it's an egregious over-selection. If you have a good plan on how you're going to use him and make an concerted effort I'm good with the pick.

You know going in Uche, Wino might be somewhat limited. I understand the low usage but again you have to know when you take there guys. Very good speed rushers, perfect for your manufacturing pressure but not the every down / base players.

Like @dreighver a part of me was hoping he'd be that guy inside but the physicality of that role might be too much for him. You have think Bill at least thought about if not played it out in practice but its obviously been a no go there.

We have killed Herbert so far. Mostly through disguise today but overall we have really tormented one of the more talented QB's in the league. Herbert hasn't just been good. He's been a top 10 QB over the last year and a half. He's displayed some amazing talent. Both mentally and physically, his arm talent is crazy but Bill has killed him in 2 games. Not just mess with him but confuse and almost shut down the QB in the MVP race halfway through the season for the second year in a row.

Our defense was really in sync today, big-time chemistry and energy on that side of the ball today. All three levels were married together and it paid off in another multiple INT game. Herbert could have thrown 4-5 today.

We've become excellent in disguising and rotating into C3 from C2. Really not that easy but it's the little stuff that matters. The nail down/overlap technique displayed by the CB & S that shut down coverage beaters. Lots of recognition, non-verbal communication and simply just making plays. We threw a lot at Herbert today - lots of post snap rotation, pre snap was useless on a lot of occasions. Lots shell looks, zone match, man match, man blitz, split coverage and it had Herbert frustrated at times. That hesitation from the secondary and pressure from the DL really messed with Herbert. I haven't had time to read or look around but I'd say we were in C3 a good 30+% and almost same with 2 hi. Somewhere around 25-30%.

I did a little breakdown on Judon in the opening pages and he's been unbelievable. It's not just the production, some of his #'s come from being unblocked. It's the instincts on misdirection/screens, constant pressure - off the edge, stunts, inside/outside and motor he brings every single game. He could have had 3-4 sacks today. He held contain on at least one would-be sack and did a great job containing Herbert all day when he had to. He didn't sellout when he could have. He stuck to the game plan all day, as he has all year. Another thing that should be noted and probably is by some. Judon has gotten better and found a way to make it happen every game. Within the scheme, off the edge, hustle, against the run. He's been arguably our best player on the entire team by a large margin.

Get another every down rusher / IDL in here with the catlike quickness @SammyBlueCat bc Judon is in his prime and Barmore might really breakout out next year. Build the DL back up!!

Barmore ... man Barmore might just the real deal Holyfield. Like not just a "good" player but a premier IDL'm in the league in 2 years. Few things that really impressed me about him coming out was his ability to rush 1/2 man (rush half a man, slice him in half as opposed to rushing straight into a big powerful dude that outweighs you) as a interior lineman. It's not easy in a confined space as opposed to the edge. It takes a lot to get that go ahead from coaches but he's earned it. He was raw but the stuff he did was borderline special at one point and it's continuing so far. He made multiple plays today, himself and for others. Power, finesse, motor. He was really good. Very good range for a big boy and love his lateral movement skills.

This wasn't a true double team imo. The tackle isn't concerned with him until he sees Judon hesitate but nonetheless he splits it. He's focused on 72 though. Double swipe after some hesi. Knocks 72 hand away in misplaced strike. Clear the hands and you're most likely winning that rep and clear the man bc it's natural to reset after your hands are touched or knocked around like they are here. Doesn't matter the position you play (CB, OL, WR) and you see it here. Immediately out of position and the tackle doesn't even matter. Nice jump, nice hands, executes his plan. Most importantly, finish! This was great to see.

Josh called about 4-5 bad plays today if we're keeping it 100% and none would be brought up if it weren't for overthrows, incomplete passes, drop passes. The face was bad no doubt. He had a bad 2nd quarter but was pretty good overall and again there were a bunch of plays left out there that had nothing to do with him. I brought up the Chargers weak running game before the game like every one else but we still ran for 130 I believe and had a few questionable calls take away at least 25-30 more.
Also and this is a tell on who's really paying attention and knows what they're talking about. Mac can check out of plays at the line. There are multiple options on most plays. Mac is a rookie but let's not pretend he can't kill/change a play. This isn't a shot at him but rather the incessant McDaniels maniacs. There aren't many but it's a constant theme with some special people.
Extra also - Bill is always listening over the calls and obviously can override anything if he wants.

Onwenu was really good yesterday and absolutely should remain at RT as long as he's displaying the patience, decisiveness and mobility that he is. Foot quicks still aren't top notch and a bit worrisome but he's getting by. He plays with really good balance for his size. Strong powerful strikes and does a nice job utilizing his length.

Andrews deserves some love too. He's been a great leader and bodyguard to Mac on the field. He was the first one in there on the Tillery hit and has been vocal at the line all year. He's had his troubles but has been better than not. Again he's been great support for Mac and really taken over that role. Next time that happens to your rookie or 15 year QB the entire line needs to show a little heart. If I'm a coach I don't want anything consistent, nothing too stupid, don't get tossed out the game but I'm cool with a flag or penalty if my guys are protecting my QB or Goalie. Hockey players have lost teeth just tapping a goalies glove after the whistle. Again nothing too stupid but a little more fight would hardly hurt this OL. Still they've been great the last few weeks and better in all phases. I don't care what happens if Brown comes back. Start or sit him or Wynn. Just get it right. I'm only playing Brown if his head is on straight too. I've been over this before but every team has "special cases" like Gronk, Robert Quinn and others that need days off. Need things afforded to them during the year like special rehab, multiple days off etc It's cool if Brown needs that type of help and it's clear he does but he's obviously not putting in the work missing as many games as he has when two different teams have really needed him the past two years and he's disappointed each time. Great player when on but he hasn't been durable or reliable and those are no bueno in this locker room.

I given #1 Stunna Gunna a hard time before but he's become a great return man. Averaged 20 per clip on punts today I believe? Really helped in the field position game and if you were paying attention that's something that's been plaguing the Chargers for about 25 years or so. Another big game against the Chargers and definitely made a difference again. He was a game changer in a tight game.

So generally all rookie QB's are bad. Even when they're good for a rookie they're a bad NFL QB. You really can't judge on wins or yards or most stats although there are a few metrics that are helpful. Mac had a bad game in the box score / stats, below average in general if we're being honest. A few passes just got away from him. I reposted an old post about his mechanics / footwork and how it effects his velocity and accuracy and we saw a little of that yesterday.
The thing that I want to focus on is his poise and focus. Probably his worst game of the year but he was there when it counted and didn't make any "Wtf" plays. He as like 2-20 at one point but also 5/5 when it mattered. I saw him on the sidelines bouncing up n down, kinda shaking it off with a smile on his face. That stuff, barking at the OL when they continue to perform poor, that emotion tells me he's getting comfortable here as a leader, teammate and person. I believe Mac / we're 3-3 on the road this year. Went toe to toe with Brady & Dak, two MVP canadates. Some growing pains but Mac has been very good by rookie QB standards imo, even today. Love seeing him take command of the offense and team. It's a weird, fine line-type of process and he's walking it well. It's helps that some older players are about to retire or head somewhere else so he can naturally fill that role / void but he's making his way on his own for sure.

You might be able to argue Phillips has been our best defensive players over the last 1.5 years excluding Gilly. He's made some huge plays for us when we need it most and impacts so much of the game on a weekly basis. What an addition he's been.

Coaching challenge was way off. That's a "where's Ernie" when you need him moment. There have been a few of this year but the Pats screwed up the #'s on the OL I believe. Being out of timeouts in a one score game at the end of the game. Burning another TO bc we're hardly ready. That's all coaching, it starts with the coaches and goes down through the players. So while it tells me the coaching has been a bit off at times but it also speaks to the leadership on the team. We need more accountability everywhere.

Ok, now I'm worried at HT. At times its taken him a few weeks to get his legs under him but we're halfway through the year and he looks rough. Lower half doesn't have the same twitch or strength. We could be seriously hurting at the LB position after this year.

@dreighver brought up Nick & Bill and the control over draft picks last week. So far and yeah it's EXTREMELY early but it's looks like we had an excellent draft last year. Mac looks like he could be a legit tip 15 QB. Barmore is a problem and Rham is a 240 RB with light feet, can catch and push a pile. I'm really excited about McGrone too. He's a modern day backer that fits the bill. You get 2-3 real NFL starters out of any draft and it's a hit. Add in a potential franchise QB at 15 and you're looking at a home run. Rn you could argue Mac for rookie of the year although I believe Chase has a slight edge. Still it's very close and if we make the playoffs or a serious run the case will only grow stronger. A few more 1 on 1 wins and sacks from Barmore and he'll be mentioned as well on his side. Still though it looks like we have 2 top 10 rookies. We need Rham to really pick up pass pro. The nuances of it and really work at it. Obviously hold on to the ball but that's a given for RB. Perk's basically learning a new position and every one should be happy about McGrone. He's a modern day LB that fits our mold. As of now it looks promising.

Really nice play here and I want more of it. I want to see Agholor go deep out the slot / condensed looks more.

Love the pocket movement from Mac. He sees everything in front of him, doesn't panic. Slight little step up / aside in the pocket but keeps that base square, balanced. Flips the hips. Steps up. It's a QB job to lead and a WR to track. This was on full display here. Mac does a great job leading his target in stride. And Agholor does an amazing job tracking down this ball. Really nice route. Corner is playing inside leverage so Agholor gives a little juke inside before taken an outside stem on his route which helps James bite along Mac's eyes. As soon as James has his flips turned its over. Nice job by Big Mike staying balanced and square against Bosa. Very nice protection overall.

Last edited:
I loved yesterday: the way that the team fought past its mistakes and came together to close the game out.

I do have a thought, though. Barmore (Barmore and Judon's) sack at 1:30 or so in the 4th brought a holding penalty, quite rightly. Which Bill turned down. But the clock stopped when the flag was thrown, so the Chargers, in effect, got an extra time out for committing a penalty on a play which, without the hold, would probably have finished them off. That can't be right.

Comp% goes down the farther the ball goes but this ain't bad at all.

Comp% goes down the farther the ball goes but this ain't bad at all.

Jones depth of target has been going up as the weeks have progressed.. It was down at 5.3 or something early on..

Jones depth of target has been going up as the weeks have progressed.. It was down at 5.3 or something early on..
I like the way we've handled him since the summer. This has been a grind for Jones but it's paying off in small ways. Keeping things in perspective this has been a really good rookie year.

Both him and Barmore have shown a lot in a small sample size imo.

One is trying to be an NFL franchise QB and looking the part early on. The other is raw as hell and standing out every game with his burst, hands and ability to penetrate.

Have to like the trajectory so far.

Mentioned this a few times but I think this year is all about assessment. Jones is #1. How far this team and go this year with a rookie QB. Guys on the end of rookie deals. Guys falling off.

I think we tinker a bit and possibly make a big move next year. Stock up for 2023 and that's the year we hopefully become a top tier team, SB aspirations.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back