PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Recently took a look at the OL/TE from the first quarter of the season after seeing @JayNM thread. Wasn't sure if this pertains exactly so I don't want to detour or hijack any threads.

Communication or lack thereof and confusion about protection has been something very noticeable in all games so far. Guys simply haven't been staying home, following rushers or penetration instead of staying in their gap - at times it's been embarrassing how far guys will follow rushers. Delayed blitzes have killed them so far. Every game, volume varies but whether the other side is throwing everything at us or picking their spots I've noticed our line will overcommit or slide to one side way too often. Multiple or one guy will follow obvious penetration from a stunt. Teams are teeing off bc protection simply isn't correctly set. I'm not going to blame it on Mac bc some of this is clown show play but ultimately it falls on him. On & off the field, he has to be let everyone know that sh it simply won't fly going forward and if it does guys meed to pack their bags. Even if it isn't well received at first he's the 15th overall pick. His voice matters.

Still though communication has been embarrassing and players should be held accountable. None of these guys are brand new. We're leaving gaps wide open instead of passing rushers off, at times completely turning their heads and shoulders. Sloppy sloppy play.

This stuff is handled at the line (ex: ID Mike - letting everyone know who's responsible for who, BOB), in practice - its a preparation issue. Some coaches define a blitz with 5 rushers others 6. Again this is basic stuff you've been going over for months so it's disappointing seeing a projected top 5-10 OL look this messy. And it's not bc they were missing Brown. That's a bogus excuse. That loaf played about 5 mins this year and all of these players are familiar with each other, backups included. This is a preparation, discipline issue. (BOB = Big on Big - Back on Back / Big guys Block Big guys, Backs Block Backers)

This is so bad. 3 blocking 2 while 3 attack two on the other side lol. RT side is lost.

Another issue that's been consistent is guys not getting to their landing spots in time. First steps, steps in general are huge for OL. One misstep can ruin a play. Your teammates are depending on you to be in a certain spot after a few seconds so hitting your spots is crucial. Pullers, screens, anything in space, misdirection, OZ requires precision timing. We've been consistently late this year.

Just sloppy play all-around. You don't see the technique on combo blocks. We used to see beautiful blocks. Hip to hip, one guy focuses on that block while another is locking on his next target before peeling off. Blocks are loose, not sustained as long and again the overall technique isn't there.

Wynn has struggle all-around with speed and power. He hasn't been as bad as people want him to be but he's been bad. Still though up until this point he's been very good on the field. He's cheap and talented. And we actually need him. We already lost one tackle. Onwenu has had real trouble with speed. I have no problem trying him at RT but that's not ideal for the player after concentrating at G for all this time. Plus as I've mentioned he's had trouble with speed at tackle and guard. His feet and steps aren't the quickest rn. It's a tough ask to move him to tackle imo but you absolutely have to get this figured out. Like this priority 1 & 2 until further notice - literally nothing else matters. This year and in the off-season.

2022 Draft - Names to know ...
Darian Kinnard, he's been very good and could be a plug and play RT. Has been on my PTP list for months. He won't last long. Love his ability to move big boys off the line that are lined up at 4/5T. Plays with hips first in the run game. Need more work in pass pro but displays a good base and hands. Lucas & Kirkland from Washington. Cross from Miss St, Rhyan from UCLA.

The OL play today was a lot better all-around. Yes playing Houston had a lot to do with it. That can't and shouldn't be overlooked. Houston has arguably the worst roster in the league. That said we looked a whole lot better.
Gap integrity on stunts were a better. I don't know exactly how many we saw but we better for sure. Are sides (G/T) passes off stunts. Only watched twice on broadcast but both guards looked pretty good. Not good enough to warrant a change but they held their own and played well. 67 showed good hands on occasion, good fight. That's one thing that stood out today. We were more physical and won that battle overall imo.

I would like to see Wynn - Onwenu - Andrews - Shaq - Cajuste going forward but the more time guys miss the more open I am.

The line has been such a gut punch so far. "Experts" and "amateurs" both agreed that this could be a great line but they've been one of the bigger disappointments in the league from a expectations and talent standpoint. The rest of the year is about righting the ship but we'll probably have a few questions that need answered this off-season about the OL.

Smith has been put in bad spots - blocking big boys on the DL but he's held up better before this year. We need to get him on smaller DB's, stalk blocking in space again. That said his hand placement and footwork have been messy this year. No leverage, no strength, playing without his legs, too tall at times. Again this has some to do with who we're asking him to block but he's got to play better.

Another thing I'm a little concerned about is him without A Smith. Smith might be the best in the league over the last few years getting creative with TE usage. Smith owes a lot of his new money to Smith for how he's used him. Now to be fair and objective Josh has put him in some really good spots every single game and Smith has failed to make the most of of but it's something worth watching going on.

Neither have been "great" blockers but certainly good enough. It's still early and as mentioned we probably could help out Smith more. Henry hasn't been that bad. About average nothing special which is fine. We need his, both really, impact to felt in the rec game. I honestly think Josh has done a good job with Smith but Henry needs to be involved more. Today was a nice start.

Herbert has been unbelievable. His coach started TT bc he felt Taylor got a raw deal in past situations, friendly off the field. His type guy. Shows where some coaches heads are at. Herbert came from a system that didn't showcase any of this arm talent. Lots of projection with him. Super nice kid. He's been a top 5-7 QB for a minute now. Unbelievable tear.

I don't know what team this is but certainly not the chargers right?! what the hell is going on there they look really good
Right ?? Easily one of the more F'd up teams in league history. Good for them. Herbert has been incredible. Next level stuff from him.

Right ?? Easily one of the more F'd up teams in league history. Good for them. Herbert has been incredible. Next level stuff from him.
Yeah. They Probably got like 1k new fans. It is fun to watch their Games because they finally got an o-line and their run defense has bus lanes. I did Not expect herbert to play that good he is in the mvp race, insane.

I was really pumped when they picked Barmore. He dominated a really talented and experienced ND offensive line in the playoff. ND was playing a smaller center because Patterson was out and he had no chance. Even with 330 lb guys on either side, Barmore had little trouble beating them.

I'm not certain what this tells me.
I think it compares the sack number for the linemen to the "what actually sack number accounts due to the play by the linemen" so you can see if you actually have a productive pass rusher or if those sacks were based on other reasons
For example it looks like Judon's sack number was not based only due his pass rush wins, there were other factors...so if the sack number only consists those sacks caused by the individual pass rush win he would have 3

This is only guessing i admit

I'm not certain what this tells me.
I think it compares the sack number for the linemen to the "what actually sack number accounts due to the play by the linemen" so you can see if you actually have a productive pass rusher or if those sacks were based on other reasons
For example it looks like Judon's sack number was not based only due his pass rush wins, there were other factors...so if the sack number only consists those sacks caused by the individual pass rush win he would have 3

This is only guessing i admit
Yea basically not all sacks are equal. You'll have players unblocked, coverage sacks, clean up sacks where a QB might be funneled into a opportunity for another player.

Few things sticking out.
NFL knows how to draft pass rushers. Perhaps more than any other position.

Sacks kill drives. Pressure is great but no substitute for finish.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back