PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wonder how far Jax would trade down

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding right? Most teams would think it wouldn't be a problem to line up with Edelman Stanback and Aiken as their starters if one of their WRs was a game day scratch? Talk about 8 in the box--it would be a laugher.
He said the Pats offense would be in trouble if their best WR went down and their next best WR isn't available either. Any position on any team would be in shambles if they lost their 2 best probowl players at that position.
Of course it is. But the distribution of talent in this draft is very different for OLB and WR. At WR, you have bubkes at the very top but a lot of good midround prospects.

Wouldn't you be more confident with, say, Derrick Morgan, Emmanuel Sanders and Marcus Easley vs. Dez Bryant, Lindsey Witten and Hall Davis?
Best post in this thread.

Last edited:
I like Morgan too. But I've been seeing more and more reports lately from guys like McShay and Bunting that he's much better off as a 43 DE. Not having seen him play in space, I can only go by what these guys are saying, although who knows where they're getting their information.

Bottom line - if teams feel Morgan can play OLB, he won't get past Miami at 12. If not, we obviously don't want him either. I've got a lot of mixed feelings about giving up 22 and 44 for Morgan.
He played a little in space in the Orange Bowl against Iowa, he looked stiff, but no worse then Willie ever did. As for Bunting... :ugh: I don't read enough of McShay to know how consistent he is, but he seems fairly outrageous about some of the more well known prospects.

We're talking an edge rusher, the kind of guys who are expected to go off the board early. While mock drafters have him sliding to 16, there is also a report out that has NYG eying him for #15. It's been reported Miami considers him athletic enough for OLB in a 3-4, that's #12. If he lasts to #10 and Jax is serious about moving down, I have to ask - why wait?

The next prospect with Morgan's size and somewhat similar production isn't projected before the late second at best - that's Cory Wootton. I like him, but he's not as sure a thing as Morgan. If NE is serious about the physical attributes they are using for the prototype OLB, and they are looking for the right mix of intangibles and college production, Morgan makes the most sense - with 12 picks, there's no reason not to pay the premium for a premium player.

I like Wootton - but you said it best, he's no Morgan. Morgan is a potentially elite player with elite intangibles. I saw a writeup where Morgan was asked his best trait and he said his work ethic. I love that answer. From what I've seen, I don't see him as 3-4 OLB, but I agree thats not the biggest problem in the world. I don't see a player in the first round (outside Suh, McCoy and other guys well out of reach...) who could have as great an impact on this team as him. He seems like a guy who could be a cornerstone of a defense - to the point where I think BB would have to seriosuly consider moving to a base 4-3 if they drafted him. We already have a defense in which its best players in the front 7 (Wilfork & Mayo) may be even better in a 4-3.

Still, I am always nervous about trading up...

Last edited:
And I agree with patchick yet again: Morgan would be worth or 22 and 47.

However, I don't think that JAX will or should trade out of the top 16.

Coveting more draft picks, Jaguars are already talking trade | jacksonville.com

They want their #2 back (well, actually just more picks but it's extra cute as we have their #2).

I don't buy the draft value charts but as a guide :

#22 + 2a = #11
#22 + 2b = #12
#22 + 2c = #13

Jacksonville has #10 so we are right in the ballpark. No clue if Bill would trade up for once but you can't help but wonder who he would consider it for.

Spiller ?
Haden ?
E. Thomas ?
Morgan ?
McClain ?
Pierre-Paul ?

Interesting stuff though I don't see us making a move like this.

First off, I'm not a fan of Morgan. The three games I've seen him play, could have been off days for him -- but that's all I have to evaluate from, as I prefer not to base my opinions strictly on profiles. If he slid to #22 (unlikely), I'd trust in mass opinion and have no problems in him being the pick. But to trade up for him -- I can't. JMHO.

"If NE is serious about the physical attributes they are using for the prototype OLB" is exactly why this draft is so difficult to choose the ONE prospect who clearly fits. Those who have the size may be lacking important criteria elsewhere, while those who fit the skill/intangibles lack the size. There are many prospects...but which direction BB will go remains a mystery.:confused2:
Such is life, I've only seen him the once and read the draftnik write-ups, based on that I can see the value. As you say, there isn't one prospect who ideally fits every aspect of NE's stated OLB preferences. I think Morgan comes closest, my other targets are all compromises based on the "what can he do well for us" methodology. Those kids are why I want to collect a couple picks in the third and have some preferred projects later in the draft.

...my other targets are all compromises based on the "what can he do well for us" methodology. Those kids are why I want to collect a couple picks in the third and have some preferred projects later in the draft.

NE has shown interest in 26 DE/OLBs, all projected from round one through UDFA. They'll clearly have all of their options covered. And I agree wholeheartedly about the methodology...as some of these kids bring lots of strengths to the table. So we might as well employ their skills now, while hoping their areas of weakness improve during the developmental process.

NE has shown interest in 26 DE/OLBs, all projected from round one through UDFA. They'll clearly have all of their options covered. And I agree wholeheartedly about the methodology...as some of these kids bring lots of strengths to the table. So we might as well employ their skills now, while hoping their areas of weakness improve during the developmental process.
I just hope they bring a couple three onboard this year. :bricks:

However, I don't think that JAX will or should trade out of the top 16.

This is what I have to ask myself, why would Jacksonville slide all the way down to #22 just for a second rounder?

For a team that can not sell out their own stadium and went 10 and 22 the last two seasons, they need more than Tebow and his huge rock star following. They need a lot of picks, so I think they would want three picks from BB for #10.

Only Suh, in this draft is worth that much (if not more).

Perhaps just to get out of that spot Jax would do something like our first and what used to be their second for their first and third. Maybe we also throw a 6th or 7th their way. I know it sounds insane but the Baltimore and Jax trade a few years ago was pretty bad as well so you never know.

This is true. They've notoriously taken less than they should have in trades. I'd rather be moving up for McClain than Morgan, but if the price isn't too steep than why not.

Perhaps just to get out of that spot Jax would do something like our first and what used to be their second for their first and third. Maybe we also throw a 6th or 7th their way. I know it sounds insane but the Baltimore and Jax trade a few years ago was pretty bad as well so you never know.

Based on the traditional trade-value chart, getting Jax's #10 would cost the Pats their #22, #44 and #119.

And they have hardly shown any interest in Derrick Morgan. No more than rumoured interest from Wes Bunting on Twitter.

I think the pick is Graham, Kindle or Hughes. And I have no idea which one they'll select.

I can't see Berry falling to 10. The only players worth taking that would actually be there are Bryant, McClain or Baluga. And I don't see BB spending two high picks on any of these guys.

I'll say this: We all know it's highly unlikely that we select at our current spots. #22,44,47,53.....
BB is gonna work a deal one way or another. The only move I don't see as likely is a major jump up into 10 or less.... just too expensive UNLESS you are 100% sure your getting a franchise player. A few spots down into the teens seems, if not likely, possible. I can't wait to see what goes down Thurs and Fri!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye