Wonder how far Jax would trade down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Coveting more draft picks, Jaguars are already talking trade | jacksonville.com

They want their #2 back (well, actually just more picks but it's extra cute as we have their #2).

I don't buy the draft value charts but as a guide :

#22 + 2a = #11
#22 + 2b = #12
#22 + 2c = #13

Jacksonville has #10 so we are right in the ballpark. No clue if Bill would trade up for once but you can't help but wonder who he would consider it for.

Spiller ?
Haden ?
E. Thomas ?
Morgan ?
McClain ?
Pierre-Paul ?

Interesting stuff though I don't see us making a move like this.

Interesting stuff though I don't see us making a move like this.
Me neither. Trading a 2nd in a deep draft to move up 10 or so spots is terrible value.

The only guy who could realistically fall to #10 that it would be worth moving up for is Berry.

I know safety is our deepest position but having an Ed Reed clone in our back field would be too good to pass up.

I wouldn't mind a slight trade up to 17ish for our 1st & later 2 plus that teams 3rd if someone we really like falls.

I'd be happy to trade 47 or 53 for their 2011 1st rounder.

I refuse to move up in the draft though, not to #10. It's just not worth it.

I'm probably alone in this, but I don't see many of the guys who are widely-projected as likely to go in the top 20 as helping the Pats significantly more than some guys who would be (hypothetically) available later.

I think BB waits to see who falls, knowing that other teams are doing the same. The odds are that, sometime around pick #17, some team picking in the 24-40 range makes an offer to move up to #22 that BB accepts. I also think it's likely that BB leverages our early 2nds into later 2nds (or 2011 1sts) PLUS 3rds, 4ths, 5ths this year (and/or players). We have a lot of ammo and there are several coaches and GMs who are desperate for an immediate impact.

I totally understand wanting to use every pick in a deep draft. BUT -- the Pats have a huge, immediateneed at DE/OLB, and in a field full of question marks Morgan is the guy I'm most confident can fill the bill. I'd give up a 2nd to get him.

I totally understand wanting to use every pick in a deep draft. BUT -- the Pats have a huge, immediateneed at DE/OLB, and in a field full of question marks Morgan is the guy I'm most confident can fill the bill. I'd give up a 2nd to get him.

I'd give up a 2nd and/or 3rd next year over any second this year but I don't think Jax is that dumb.

I'm on this wagon too, ever since BOR pulled me aboard. Derrick Morgan, in most mocks, goes to Jax and now with them wanting to pull out, who knows where he goes. Tennessee most likely at 16.

Other teams are reportedly wanting to trade down. Cleveland, Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, Jacksonville, and Miami, according to Box.

"
in a class of gargantuan defensive ends best fit for the 3-4 and undersized 'tweeners that lack the strength to consistently hold up at the edge in the 4-3, Morgan's prototypical NFL frame, steady improvement, and relative youth (turned 21 in January) is certain to intrigue scouts. A very good player now, he'll be selected in the top 10 in the 2010 draft because he's just scratching the surface of his potential as a game-changing right defensive end."

Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Last edited:
The only guy who could realistically fall to #10 that it would be worth moving up for is Berry.

I know safety is our deepest position but having an Ed Reed clone in our back field would be too good to pass up.

Not at the salary he'd get, and not when you can add A-/B+ players at two positions where it would actually do more good.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps talking about the HUGE NEED for a OLB/DE. Has anyone thought about how the Patriots offense would look if Randy Moss pulled a hammy and couldn't play in week 1? Seriously, who else is there to step in? HUGE HUGE problem at WR for this team.

Has anyone thought about how the Patriots offense would look if Randy Moss pulled a hammy and couldn't play in week 1? Seriously, who else is there to step in? HUGE HUGE problem at WR for this team.
You could say the same thing about most positions on any team.

No I don't agree..........After Randy Moss you have Aiken and Edleman and who else? Tate is hurt and stays hurt and has never started a game in the NFL. Am I missing anyone?

ALSO i'm not impressed by Morgan at all. I've never seen a defensive player on the ground as much as this guy. He looks to have serious issues with agility or something. Every single play he ends up on the ground with someone running past him.

YouTube - DE Derrick Morgan Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Georgia Tech

You could say the same thing about most positions on any team.

You're kidding right? Most teams would think it wouldn't be a problem to line up with Edelman Stanback and Aiken as their starters if one of their WRs was a game day scratch? Talk about 8 in the box--it would be a laugher.

Only if BB is confident that Tate's going to be able to step in right away and Welker is ahead of schedule. Otherwise our depth at the position isn't acceptable.

At this point I don't see BB waiting and hoping to pick up a vet before now and TC like he did with Lewis and Galloway last year, so I can't see him not drafting a quality WR this year.

Last edited:

I'd love to get Morgan, he seems like the safest pick we can make...but we could get greedy and see if he drops farther. Moving up 5 spots or so is a lot less costly than moving up to #10 - in more ways than one (as in, also money).

And the thing is, as the draft approaches, it looks like that could happen. The higher ceiling guys like JPP with better pass rush potential are getting more hype. Morgan seems like an all around beast with great intangibles, but for some reason, his stock is slowly dropping a little thanks to the guys like JPP.

Everyone keeps talking about the HUGE NEED for a OLB/DE. Has anyone thought about how the Patriots offense would look if Randy Moss pulled a hammy and couldn't play in week 1? Seriously, who else is there to step in? HUGE HUGE problem at WR for this team.

Of course it is. But the distribution of talent in this draft is very different for OLB and WR. At WR, you have bubkes at the very top but a lot of good midround prospects.

Wouldn't you be more confident with, say, Derrick Morgan, Emmanuel Sanders and Marcus Easley vs. Dez Bryant, Lindsey Witten and Hall Davis?

Perhaps just to get out of that spot Jax would do something like our first and what used to be their second for their first and third. Maybe we also throw a 6th or 7th their way. I know it sounds insane but the Baltimore and Jax trade a few years ago was pretty bad as well so you never know.

I'd love to get Morgan, he seems like the safest pick we can make...but we could get greedy and see if he drops farther. Moving up 5 spots or so is a lot less costly than moving up to #10 - in more ways than one (as in, also money).

And the thing is, as the draft approaches, it looks like that could happen. The higher ceiling guys like JPP with better pass rush potential are getting more hype. Morgan seems like an all around beast with great intangibles, but for some reason, his stock is slowly dropping a little thanks to the guys like JPP.
We're talking an edge rusher, the kind of guys who are expected to go off the board early. While mock drafters have him sliding to 16, there is also a report out that has NYG eying him for #15. It's been reported Miami considers him athletic enough for OLB in a 3-4, that's #12. If he lasts to #10 and Jax is serious about moving down, I have to ask - why wait?

The next prospect with Morgan's size and somewhat similar production isn't projected before the late second at best - that's Cory Wootton. I like him, but he's not as sure a thing as Morgan. If NE is serious about the physical attributes they are using for the prototype OLB, and they are looking for the right mix of intangibles and college production, Morgan makes the most sense - with 12 picks, there's no reason not to pay the premium for a premium player.

If NE is serious about the physical attributes they are using for the prototype OLB, and they are looking for the right mix of intangibles and college production, Morgan makes the most sense - with 12 picks, there's no reason not to pay the premium for a premium player.

:yeahthat:

In general, I like quantity in draft picks, especially in deep parts of a draft. But the time to trade up is when you see a significant gap in talent/fit between one player and the remaining pack at a position of high need. That's what I see with Morgan this year.

I like Morgan too. But I've been seeing more and more reports lately from guys like McShay and Bunting that he's much better off as a 43 DE. Not having seen him play in space, I can only go by what these guys are saying, although who knows where they're getting their information.

Bottom line - if teams feel Morgan can play OLB, he won't get past Miami at 12. If not, we obviously don't want him either. I've got a lot of mixed feelings about giving up 22 and 44 for Morgan.

If NE is serious about the physical attributes they are using for the prototype OLB, and they are looking for the right mix of intangibles and college production, Morgan makes the most sense - with 12 picks, there's no reason not to pay the premium for a premium player.

First off, I'm not a fan of Morgan. The three games I've seen him play, could have been off days for him -- but that's all I have to evaluate from, as I prefer not to base my opinions strictly on profiles. If he slid to #22 (unlikely), I'd trust in mass opinion and have no problems in him being the pick. But to trade up for him -- I can't. JMHO.

"If NE is serious about the physical attributes they are using for the prototype OLB" is exactly why this draft is so difficult to choose the ONE prospect who clearly fits. Those who have the size may be lacking important criteria elsewhere, while those who fit the skill/intangibles lack the size. There are many prospects...but which direction BB will go remains a mystery.:confused2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back