PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With WR a need, who do you think the Pats target in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same way about Robiskie and I'll add Aaron Kelly from Clemson.

EDIT: Forgot my man Juaquin Iglesias.

I liked Kelly originally. However, he doesn't have very good lateral movement. As seen from his poor 3 cone drill.

Johnny Knox from Abiliene Chrstian would be good for a late rounder

Last edited:
IF Nicks falls to the second round, he may be "too good to pass up".

For 3rd rd or later Robiske or Mohammad Massaquoi from Gerogia.
Nicks and Robiske have the same 10 yd split (1.52), though Nicks either didn't run his ss/3-cone at the Combine or it hasn't been posted yet...Massaquoi ran a slow 10 yd split (1.59)...Mike Thomas on Day Two might be a better option.

In round two I'd opt for Robiskie and Nicks (although I prefer no WR on day one). On day two, I still like Dillard.

Will weed out the entire WR crop after Pro Days.

In round two I'd opt for Robiskie and Nicks (although I prefer no WR on day one). On day two, I still like Dillard.

Will weed out the entire WR crop after Pro Days.
I liked him, but he's really slipped on my board with a 1.60 10 yd split to go with his pedestrian 4.54/40. His change of direction numbers are slow too.

I liked him, but he's really slipped on my board with a 1.60 10 yd split to go with his pedestrian 4.54/40. His change of direction numbers are slow too.

The only impressive numbers he has are his vertical (tops among the WR group at 42 1/2), and his college production (receptions and TDs). But in terms of his skills, he does have solid hands, and is without a doubt one of the best route runners in the draft. I'm hoping it's his skills which allow him to get open, knowing his lack of quicks and speed leave us in doubt. No matter what, he's only a day two gamble, as I'd be much more scrutinous with any first or second rounder.

We need a #3 and a #5 WR (#1 Moss, #2 Welker, #4 Aiken). If we were to draft a WR I would think it would be for the #5 slot. Someone who can return kicks or at least have speed on ST, and hopefully grow into the #3 slot. I don't expect to see a rookie in the #3 spot week 1. That said, here are my candidates... Day 1: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Kenny Britt, Louis Murphy Day 2: Demetrius Byrd, Brooks Foster, Kenny McKinley, I could go on forever...

We are likely to get a #4 in free agency, somone like Furrey. So, we now seem likely to need a first day wide receiver. Hopefully, he will produce some in his first year.
================================
We will get a couple of defensive backs in free agency, perhaps Bodden and Lew Sanders, taking a bit of the pressure off the draft. We may need to find out what we have in Wheatley and Wilhite before expending another high pick at corner. I'm not excited about the corners, but I do like the safeties.

2009 DEFENSIVE BACKS
Hobbs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite
Meriweather, Sanders, Sanders, rookie

ugh, with the patriots history of drafting WR's i really hope we dont blow another pick on a receiver.

ugh, with the patriots history of drafting WR's i really hope we dont blow another pick on a receiver.
C'mon neighbor, do you expect to pick up a disgruntled Larry Fitzgerald for a 4th rounder in two years? Moss was a lucky break, Welker was a Dolphin brain...well, nerve cluster flatulence at least...if NE wants a top WR, they are going to need to keep working at it through the draft. Ain't every year some Al Davis luck drops in your lap.

I agree, I thought Robiske really, really stood out in that WR group during the combine. His Dad is a coach as we know and he's schooled his son well.

The kid is a pure Patriot type, a film rat, a technique rat, a route rat and he's the type of kid that you know will always work to be a better player. Brian has a great background and upbringing, the only thing he truly lacks is high-end speed. Yet in this offense, that's irrelevant, as long as he runs those precise routes and catches everything thrown in his area-code which are his two great traits. I would love BB to grab this kid with one or our 2-lower 2's.

I would be happy with K. Britt @ 47. Obviously a ton of factors come into play here but I am not sure he will be around then or that we will not still have more pressing needs defensively.

I'd take Deon Butler on day 2. He's a playmaker and he's fast. 4.38 40. 37" vertical.

Any guy that is compared to Troy Brown is a guy I want on the Pats roster (how long, is a whole different question).

1. Deon Butler: huge value if could be picked in the fourth or fifth round.

2. Johnny Knox: I couldn't help but love his speed, but 4.34 makes him a Raider prospect. For that reason, I would assume they would snag him before anyone else. Runs with great form too.

3. Marko Mitchell: Big target at 6'4" that got down the line in 4.47. I don't see much use for him on the Pats since he isn't the next Randy Moss, but if he was able to learn two things from Moss, he could be an average reciever in a couple years. Sorry, don't want to project too high for him yet.

4. Aaron Kelly: The story is the same as Mitchell's. Good size for speed ratio, not great. Had a horrible season along with the rest of his Clemson teammates which allows him to drop in the draft. I think a lot of those players mentally gave up when they couldn't live up to expectations and a rift developed in the locker room. Needs to go to a winner and have few expectations out of the blocks.

5. Ramses Barden: Mainly because plays near my area. He does have good size, but isn't very fast. It is impressive to watch him go up for the ball and snag it at the high point. Wish him the best even though it won't be in NE and as long as it isn't with any AFC East opponents.

- Not a huge fan of Robiske because he can't live up to what Anthony Gonzalez was, in my mind going into the draft. It doesn't make sense. I know.

- Louis Murphy is the Gator the Pats will look hard and long at. I can see Bill making people think he is scouting Harvin and snagging Murphy instead.

- Doesn't Britt seem too expensive at the 23rd or 34th pick? Maybe I'm just afraid of Chad Jackson, the sequel.

I second the mike thomas selection someone made.......love this guy......been productive his entire career, runs sharp routes and is a nightmare as a return guy.......perfect slot backup to welker who could potentially have an immediate impact

Brian Robiskie is one of my draft binkies. Hopefully he'll be there for the taking at 47. However, I have a feeling that many teams will covet him due to his productivity, bloodlines, and intangibles. Thus, I'm not sure he makes it to 47...

I think we could go for two even. Robiskie, Nicks, Britt, Wallace, Butler. Give me two of those guys, I'll take it.

Bingo!-Mike Wallace, Miss. 6' 1" 199lbs. 4.28 speed. Returns kicks Third round guy. Think Holt.
I like Austin Collie. A big WR with 100 catches. 4.52 at the combine but ran a 4.45 at BYU. Best game yards in the nation last year. A big 6" 2" 206 lbs, possession receiver with speed. Also returns kicks. Late 3rd. Think Brian Finneran.
DW Toys

Hakeem Nicks, guy is a freak of nature and he reminds me of Calvin Johnson

Anyone think they should give up one of the 2nds to sign Lance Moore? He reminds me a lot of Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes