PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the 28th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Patriots select...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFlo

On the Roster
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back with the Interactive Mock Draft. It's time for the Pats' second selection in the first round.

With your first pick you guys voted for JJ Watt, here's how the draft has played out since:

Carolina - Fairley
Denver - Dareus
Buffalo - Newton
Cincinnati - Green
Arizona - Bowers
Cleveland - Peterson
San Francisco - Von Miller
Tennessee - Blaine Gabbert
Cowboys - Prince Amukamara
Redskins - Julio Jones
Texans - Robert Quinn
Vikings - Ryan Mallett
Lions - Tyron Smith
Rams - Aldon Smith
Dolphins - Mark Ingram
Jaguars - Christian Ponder
Patriots - JJ Watt
Chargers - Cameron Jordan
Giants - Anthony Castonzo
Bucs - Ryan Kerrigan
Chiefs - Phil Taylor
Colts - Derek Sherrod
Eagles - Gabe Carimi
Saints - Cameron Heyward
Seahawks - Mike Pouncey
Ravens - Jimmy Smith
Falcons -Brandon Harris
Patriots - ???

You can cast your vote here:

Football Draft Notebook.

And as always, leave a short description of the pick and it could be posted in the results along with your name!

***Also for mods, I hope you don't see this as spam. I am just trying to get the right fans to vote for their team, so we get the right mock draft. If you have any problems, please let me know.

I voted for Danny Watkins, although in real life, it would be hard to pass on 2 players not listed: OLB Reed and DT Wilkerson.

I voted for Danny Watkins, although in real life, it would be hard to pass on 2 players not listed: OLB Reed and DT Wilkerson.

I'm fine with Watkins too, but Wilkerson & Watt have complementary strengths and would make for a pretty great long-term DL.

You could make a real argument for Watkins. But I don't see why we'd need Wilkerson if we've already drafted Watt in this scenario.

I voted for Soldier. Light's going to be a free agent, and even if we resign him, I think his days at left tackle are numbered. He's already having problems with speed rushers, and I can't see him getting any quicker at this point in his career. Soldier's one of the few tackles in the draft that I could see being effective on the left side.

You could make a real argument for Watkins. But I don't see why we'd need Wilkerson if we've already drafted Watt in this scenario.

I voted for Soldier. Light's going to be a free agent, and even if we resign him, I think his days at left tackle are numbered. He's already having problems with speed rushers, and I can't see him getting any quicker at this point in his career. Soldier's one of the few tackles in the draft that I could see being effective on the left side.

We already have a guy who can play Left Tackle in Vollmer, why not use that pick on someone that can help us more, and if we need to we can draft a Right tackle later.

Muhammad Wilkerson - Wilkerson and Watt provide the NE defensive front some intriguing flexibility, and as rookies some counterbalancing rotational talent. Wilkerson is better for running downs, yet cam still clog passing lanes and collapse the pocket if need; Watt is better on passing down, he can effectively drop into coverage for a zone blitz, and he clogs passing lanes and collapses the pocket quite well. NE's great downfall last season was injuries and experience on the defensive front, Wilkerson and Watt will be in their primes when Warren and Wilfork hit the wall - continuity is a Belichick watchword.

Muhammad Wilkerson - Wilkerson and Watt provide the NE defensive front some intriguing flexibility, and as rookies some counterbalancing rotational talent. Wilkerson is better for running downs, yet cam still clog passing lanes and collapse the pocket if need; Watt is better on passing down, he can effectively drop into coverage for a zone blitz, and he clogs passing lanes and collapses the pocket quite well. NE's great downfall last season was injuries and experience on the defensive front, Wilkerson and Watt will be in their primes when Warren and Wilfork hit the wall - continuity is a Belichick watchword.

Absolutely agree, with the pick and the analysis.

Hey guys, I've added Wilkerson and Reed as options in the poll.

You can now vote for them here:

Vote Here!

Also, Solder is the lead so far

Last edited:
I chose Solder...Not a guy I really wanted, but this type of mock doesn't involve trade ups, so he's the guy.

The reasoning for Solder is fairly obvious with Light gaining in years, and sure to not be able to keep at left tackle much longer. An OLB to get at the QB is the top need at this point, and moving up to get one is the likely scenario if the draft were playing out as is, but maybe a 2nd rounder could fill that need. Right guard is also a necessity. Boling in the 2nd?

Well said.

I'm not a fan of Solder here. Don't forget Vollmer can switch to the left side if we need to.

Two DEs complementing (not duplicating) each other's strengths. With Watt at 1a and Wilkerson still available at 1b, two potential starters in one round makes the selection easy.

#33 can certainly address the OL or OLB positions with the highest valued player.

So far Solder leads with 6 votes, followed by Wilkerson with 5, then Justin Houston with 4

Keep voting guys!

Last edited:
I'll vote for Solder. He's an unbelievable value at #28. The guy should have gone top 15. Great pick with Watt BTW.
Solder should never have dropped this far.
But considering how the other GMs have picked, either him or Wilkerson could easily slide to #33. Hmmm. Tough choice. But we already got a DE so I'd say go with the Matt Light insurance.

Last edited:
I'll vote for Solder. He's an unbelievable value at #28. The guy should have gone top 15. Great pick with Watt BTW.
Solder should never have dropped this far.
But considering how the other GMs have picked, either him or Wilkerson could easily slide to #33. Hmmm. Tough choice. But we already got a DE so I'd say go with the Matt Light insurance.

Solder for me too

Thank you for the description Box_o_Rocks.

The results are updated! You can see who your team selected here:

Football Draft Notebook.

You can see the voting breakdown in the Voting History tab!

And feel free to bookmark that page and continue voting guys - we do one team every day! The Chicago Bears are now OTC.

If Mankins is traded, then Solder.

If not, Wilkerson/Reed.

Umm..... I'll go Wilkerson

Thank you for the description Box_o_Rocks.

The results are updated! You can see who your team selected here:

Football Draft Notebook.

You can see the voting breakdown in the Voting History tab!

And feel free to bookmark that page and continue voting guys - we do one team every day! The Chicago Bears are now OTC.
Thankee kindly. Just so you know, Wilkerson wore number 9 at Temple, number 96 in your photo was So. Jeff Whittingham. ;)

Whoops, changed the pick, thanks for the heads up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back