PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

with #210 NE selects Braxton Berrios!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess hangnail then IR
Julian plays til Brady doesnt.
This doesnt bode well for Britt

I would be surprised if he didn't make the team. He can contribute immediately as a returner. The team could part ways with Britt, as you mention.

The Patriots might have a gem on their hands. If this Berrios kid is the next Wes Welker, he's going to be carving up NFL defenses for years to come. Also if he can take over punt return duties, that will spare some wear and tear on Edelman who is now the Pats #1 receiver with the departure of Cooks.

Also a 4.44 40 is plenty fast for the slot position. I'm liking the pick so far and hope he makes the roster in camp.

Apparently a smart kid. 9 receiving TDs suggest to me he can be useful in the red zone on occasion as well. Punt return ability is one reason I feel he can stick. He averaged 15.9 yards per PR in college.
5 things to know about Braxton Berrios, the Patriots' newest slot receiver

I feel comfortable saying that Patriots fans would be thrilled if the team brought in a player who reminded them of Deion Branch or Randy Moss.
To Quote BB, "Guys like Branch don't grow on trees" (of course he was referring to Alan Branch).

And guys like Randy Moss come, well, there aren't many, if any, quite like him.

Speaking of Welker, look at Berrios's first Miami uniform.

cropped_USPW_473723.jpg

Lots of talented punt returners on the team now, so unless Cyrus Jones gets his act together as a CB then its adios amigo

Lots of talented punt returners on the team now, so unless Cyrus Jones gets his act together as a CB then its adios amigo

Actually, Cy Jones has kinda sucked at punt returns - 4.2 yard average versus a decent 22.5 yards on kick returns.

Besides Edelman, the Pats only have McCarron and, now, Berrios who've had relatively extensive (college) experience and success returning punts, rather than kickoffs. Patterson has made 153 kick returns in his NFL career, but only ONE punt return.

As BB has said, punt returns are a whole different ballgame, requiring a different skill set.

Cyrus Jones has as good of a chance of making the team as Berrios. They're the only two realistic non-Edelman punt return options at this point

Not sure where "lots of talented punt returners" is coming from

Last edited:
I considered Patterson a punt returner, but apparently that is not the case.. and as they continue down the path to eliminating the kickoff entirely, that lowers Patterson's value quite a bit

I'd like to see him make the team if he shows promise as a WR and punt returner, although I like a lot of WRs on this roster: Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Matthews, Dorsett, Patterson, Slater* and Berrios. Britt, Hollister and McCarron can get the axe; barring a major showing in training camp & pre-season.

I listed 8 WRs though, which I doubt they carry. I think Dorsett has a lot of upside and looked great in limited opportunities last year. Way more shifty than Cooks. And while not a proven deep threat like Cooks, his presence & speed on the outside can still keep defenses honest, similar to what Cooks provided.

Last edited:
Britt and (I hate to say it) Dorsett didn't show all that much last year. So since they've already been in the league and they should be closer to their peak. Even if it was their 1st year in the system. Berrios, McCarron and any of the rookies and 1st year players don't have to necessarily out play Britt and Dorsett as long as BB thinks the new guys might have a higher ceiling down the road.

Another thing I hate to say: Mitchell's knock in college was he couldn't stay healthy. And so far in the pros that pattern hasn't changed. So I'll bet he's on a little shorter leash. Unless he stays totally healthy and out plays some guys be a clear margin, BB may prefer to give a newer guy without the injury history a chance instead.

Do you even know his injury history? He had a minor hamstring injury as a Freshman where he missed two games. Then he tore his ACL that required two surgeries to fix. That cost him all of the 2013 season and part of the 2014 season. But it was still ONE injury.

This claim that he "couldn't stay healthy" is as fictitious as a $3 bill being legal tender.

What I find interesting is that Reggie Wayne actually said that Berrios would be a perfect fit for the Patriots.. Considering how Wayne left, I am surprised that he said that..

Britt and (I hate to say it) Dorsett didn't show all that much last year. So since they've already been in the league and they should be closer to their peak. Even if it was their 1st year in the system. Berrios, McCarron and any of the rookies and 1st year players don't have to necessarily out play Britt and Dorsett as long as BB thinks the new guys might have a higher ceiling down the road.

Another thing I hate to say: Mitchell's knock in college was he couldn't stay healthy. And so far in the pros that pattern hasn't changed. So I'll bet he's on a little shorter leash. Unless he stays totally healthy and out plays some guys be a clear margin, BB may prefer to give a newer guy without the injury history a chance instead.
Dorsett looked great in very limited opportunities. I'd like to see what he can do after a full year in the offense.

52 second mark:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back