PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winovich in the dog house?

I was wondering the same thing. Last week he didn't seem to play much then the same thing this week. I would guess it is because they thought that the 49ers were going to run so they used Copeland, Bentley, and Jennings but why not see if Wino could do something against the run? What did we have to lose? We were getting gashed against the 9ers 3rd string running back. Copeland is a special teamer and Jennings isn't ready yet. One would assume since Bentley is a complete liability in the passing game that he would be a better run LB but looked about as bad as he's been all year. I don't know why we need to overthink these things and why we can't put our 11 best players out there.

I think it is much more likely he got benched because of that unnecessary hit against JG after the DMac INT that initially cost them 15 yards of field position and the subsequent squabbling with BB on the sideline about it.

This might be one of those occasions where Reiss is digging in deeper than necessary.

I think it is much more likely he got benched because of that unnecessary hit against JG after the DMac INT that initially cost them 15 yards of field position and the subsequent squabbling with BB on the sideline about it.

This might be one of those occasions where Reiss is digging in deeper than necessary.
I heard on the radio it looked like he may have been arguing with Bill coming off the field but I didn't see it.

Not in the doghouse whatsoever. Just a personnel issue- he just struggles on the inside. He is a pure outside rusher which is what Shanny feeds off of with his stretch offense and the short game that is a staple of the West Coast offense.

Yes, it was a dumb error and BB ripped into him for that.

But then he went in for a few more snaps after that.

If it really was an issue of benching, he would have received zero snaps after that, or sat out the quarter.

Yes, it was a dumb error and BB ripped into him for that.

But then he went in for a few more snaps after that.

If it really was an issue of benching, he would have received zero snaps after that, or sat out the quarter.

He apparently only had four snaps after the illegal block and all those were on the final garbage time drive.

He apparently only had four snaps after the illegal block and all those were on the final garbage time drive.

I think you nailed it. I am sure the earlier mistake Reiss pointed out helped with the hook as well. BB looks long-term and foolish penalties or a distracted player is something he does not tolerate. Be ready on game day and play smart or sit the bench.

I think you nailed it. I am sure the earlier mistake Reiss pointed out helped with the hook as well. BB looks long-term and foolish penalties or a distracted player is something he does not tolerate. Be ready on game day and play smart or sit the bench.
Unless you’re Cyrus Jones or Jordan Richards, apparently lol

The roughing the passer penalty is why he's in the doghouse.

The roughing the passer penalty is why he's in the doghouse.
When the ball is being returned on an INT the QB like the 10 other guys who were just on offense become blockers. Wino barely touched James G. who flopped around like fish on the ground.

I think him not being a good fit against what Shanahan was doing as @PP2 pointed out is at least as likely. The 49ers started those horizontal passes to stretch the defense pretty much right after the drive that ended with the JG INT. So it could have been just weird timing.

When the ball is being returned on an INT the QB like the 10 other guys who were just on offense become blockers. Wino barely touched James G. who flopped around like fish on the ground.

I don't think he was blocking. I think it happened before he knew there was an int. I can see why BB would be mad and I could see why Wino would think it is a tricky-tacky call..

Like the guy. 2nd year. Needs to learn to read his opponent when physically engaged and stop pushing upfield BEYOND the QB, losing the sack opportunity.

I think him not being a good fit against what Shanahan was doing as @PP2 pointed out is at least as likely. The 49ers started those horizontal passes to stretch the defense pretty much right after the drive that ended with the JG INT. So it could have been just weird timing.

Could be but I understood he was replaced with Tashawn from the practice squad callup, so that makes me think it was a benching.

I don't think he was blocking. I think it happened before he knew there was an int. I can see why BB would be mad and I could see why Wino would think it is a tricky-tacky call..

He ran into JG's while he was turned to the other side of where the INT return was going and pushed him to the ground. It was totally unnecessary and correctly called as a blindside block. It doesn't matter how much force he used or how minuscule it looked, it is all about JGs body position relative to where the play is.

Jimmy G in the back was beyond stupid.

And I don't care that Jimmy G flopped. It was in the back and a QB.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back