PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning Deflategate

Bobsyouruncle

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I posted this in a comment in the other forum but since it's mostly Deflategate related and I think a bit of good news and kudos to the fans is in order thought I'd put it here.

What fans have mostly done

In the last few weeks we have gone from the Patriots definitely deflated footballs and should be banned/or suspended being the news, to- Kravitz apologizing (sort of), the NY times running an article saying science shows nothing happenned, and Rice being outed as a cheater nationally.

All wins, and all stuff I heard from the fans before the local media, and then national media picked it up. We are driving some of the narrative.

But those are true, some of the biggest wins may or may not be true:

Esiason on national TV and radio saying Pagano and Harbaugh started this from jealousy. Not a lick of proof, but now it's heard repeatedly and it's a rumor I heard days before it ever hit the air. I doubt Esiason is the inventor, he heard it from someone who heard it and it sounded plausible.

Last night on a national broadcast on letterman the theory was put forth by letterman that the Colts deflated a ball. That whole narrative has been driven by fans right up until it was uttered on national television. Now it's part of the national narrative. People legitimately believe it's possible the Colts set the Patriots up, and Harbaugh was in on it, instead of only believing the Patriots did it. There's no proof either the Colts or Patriots did anything but we have shifted the narrative with nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Some people hate Wikipedia, doesn't matter. People read Wikipedia. If someone wants to know what Spygate or Deflategate is they start on Wikipedia. They may not believe it all, but that's where the narrative starts.

Considering where we were three weeks ago, I would say we are winning. Much of the country now thinks the Colts might have set the Patriots up out of jealousy, and that the whole thing is a joke. It's difficult to change an established story but we have mostly done it, and most of it has been driven from the fans up. Good job.

This is from Patstopis in another thread: "The thing for me that really ticks me off is the sequence of events how all this played out in the game. The ball gets intercepted with 9 minutes left in the 2nd and given to the equipment manager. He in turn squeezes the ball and feels something funny and brings it to who? Does he bring it to the umpire? Coach? GM? And then they report it to the refs who grab all the balls and take PSI readings. All this before the half ends and have the balls almost ready for 2nd half.
They do this without informing the Pats, but they do inform someone they are investigating and they in turn have enough time to tell Kravitz who then has enough time to check (not really) the story and post it online. All this before the Pats front office have a clue anything is going on. And then walk smack into a blossoming story with no warning whatsoever. Goodell meanwhile is dining at the Kraft's and even though someone tells Kravitz about the story. Goodell can't even mention it to Mr. Kraft. Is this a trap or didn't he know either? All too crazy for my blood. Considering it takes them a few months to investigate this BS."

There are some interesting points here, especially the part about the referee not even informing BB that the balls were being inspected and changed in some manner. This seems like a real fact that can't be disputed, both BB and Brady were unaware of the situation even the next day. How in the world can a referee change the psi of the balls at halftime, something that has never been done before (from what I have heard), and not tell the coach during the AFCCG? Mind boggling.

Goodell was at Kraft's house the night before the game, not the night of. The rest of what you said makes sense though. I mean, sense about this senseless stupid mess.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back