Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Win or lose the last 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going to use some hyperbole to make a point here but how are you going to know you hit on these draft picks if you tank again next year at the first sign of trouble in favor of next year's draft position.

There's 2 games left which leaves opportunity for any number of players to prove themselves as something useful to this team next year.

Once again people are confusing tanking, which only a team can do, with rooting for a higher pick, which is what fans do. The players are always going to play their hardest because they get paid for performance. So you will know how they turned out by their performance, which is always the case. No player is going to put out bad tape and lose money in future contracts so that the team will have a higher pick, which could actually replace them.

Lol, aside from white (rookie), all those dudes are jags.
There was a time that Nink was a JAG. He improved. The guys we’ve got now could improve too if given the chance.

I don't see how you can deduce anything. He's on to the next play, albeit with only 2 seconds left. He's looking at who's on the field and how many seconds are left.

Yup, the game wasn't over. But imagine if their reactions were switched. :)

Winning the next two games won't make the remaining players feel less like losers, it won't change the complexion of this season, it won't even be remembered this time next year.

Hitting on a high draft pick QB will be remembered and more impactful
This is a fan’s way of thinking and not based on the reality of those whose livelihood depends on their personal / team performance.

Players are never gonna say, “Well we might as well lose the last two games of the season because it won’t make me feel better if we win and we need the highest draft pick possible.”

Coaches and players ALWAYS try to win and feel better when it happens. Look at Zappe’s reaction when Ryland make the FG to win the game in Denver.

Do you think the players and coaches give a sh!t about what position the Pats draft in the 1st rd and who they select? They don’t, at least not until the season is over.

They want to win and perform well to keep their job.

If the Pats personnel decisión makers decide they need to select a 1st rd QB in the draft, they’ll do it.

Yup, the game wasn't over. But imagine if their reactions were switched. :)

This is the one that always got me. HaHa. Yay. We're Champs! Very subdued. I get the guy has been there, done that, but it feels forced to me.

There was a time that Nink was a JAG. He improved. The guys we’ve got now could improve too if given the chance.
Absolutely, ninko ended up being one of the best patriots players in the 2010s.. coming from a long snapper to a starting defender. I love the mix of guys we have on defense.. Mack Wilson sr. For example..Has Absolutely earned playing time.. I've been really critical of myles Bryant he has better last month or so.

I even like some of the offense. Onwenu, Strange, Sow, Andrews, Stevenson, Douglass, Bourne, Henry. Guess I'm not in the "tear it down to the studs" camp.
Nor should you be. If the QB didn’t suck we would be headed to the playoffs and talking about which upgrades can get us over the top.

This is a fan’s way of thinking and not based on the reality of those whose livelihood depends on their personal / team performance.

Players are never gonna say, “Well we might as well lose the last two games of the season because it won’t make me feel better if we win and we need the highest draft pick possible.”

Coaches and players ALWAYS try to win and feel better when it happens. Look at Zappe’s reaction when Ryland make the FG to win the game in Denver.

Do you think the players and coaches give a sh!t about what position the Pats draft in the 1st rd and who they select? They don’t, at least not until the season is over.

They want to win and perform well to keep their job.

If the Pats personnel decisión makers decide they need to select a 1st rd QB in the draft, they’ll do it.
I think this overstates what players want going into the last few games of a season where the team is well out of the playoff hunt. I think a lot of players prioritize their own careers and many time their number 1 priority is to not get hurt.

Can we win and still get a good pick?

I'd like to see them win out. As other posters have noted, teams like the Jets and Browns have been getting high picks for like 20 years and never found their guy. I'd rather enjoy the games now before I get old and die.

(Please note: my opinion has no effect on whether the Pats win or lose IRL)

Can we win and still get a good pick?

Of course. Or the Pats could lose both games and still get a bad pick. It all depends on WHO they pick and how the player performs, which probably won't be determined anytime soon regardless.

Not caring about the draft is literally WHY they haven’t been winning.

There isn't an argument you could make stating that the Patriots didn't care about drafting good players where I wouldn't laugh in your face.

You can say that they haven't drafted well. You can say they reached when they didn't have to. You can say they missed so many good players that were right there for the picking. I will agree with every single one of those points.

But to say they didn't care? That's complete bunk.

If we lose out just to secure a better draft pick, this team, coaches and front office staff have become a bunch of losers instead of just being a team with a losing record. There is a difference between the two.

Last edited:
I think this overstates what players want going into the last few games of a season where the team is well out of the playoff hunt. I think a lot of players prioritize their own careers and many time their number 1 priority is to not get hurt.
Of course they don’t want to get hurt; but players are competitors by nature and want to win. That’s how they’re wired.

The Pats are going to play their asses off these last two games. That I’m sure of.

They’re not going to mail it in because their season is already over. These guys play for pride.

They’re not going to take it easy for fear of injury or worrying about the Pats position in the upcoming draft.

No on Tavai? Lol he's been one of the best players on the defense, consumute pro, former and rounder found his niche in the NFL. Always around the ball.
I know right. By some who post here, you’d think Tavai and Bentley were two of the worst lbs in the league.

In fact they form an excellent ILB duo who are always around the ball. They’re definitely not a weak link on this team and I’m glad we have them.

I know right. By some who post here, you’d think Tavai and Bentley were two of the worst lbs in the league.

In fact they form an excellent ILB duo who are always around the ball. They’re definitely not a weak link on this team and I’m glad we have them.
Agreed. Bentley is an old school down hill thumper he runs the defense and puts everything in position . Tavai is actually one of best coverage LBs in the league. Mayo puts them in position to utilize thier strengths.

There isn't an argument you could make stating that the Patriots didn't care about drafting good players where I wouldn't laugh in your face.

You can say that they haven't drafted well. You can say they reached when they didn't have to. You can say they missed so many good players that were right there for the picking. I will agree with every single one of those points.

But to say they didn't care? That's complete bunk.

If we lose out just to secure a better draft pick, this team, coaches and front office staff have become a bunch of losers instead of just being a team with a losing record. There is a difference between the two.
BB didn't care about filling the needs on offense in the draft. Opting instead to use the three highest draft picks on defensive players.

BB didn't care about filling the needs on offense in the draft. Opting instead to use the three highest draft picks on defensive players.

Or perhaps those three highest picks were the best players available overall that also happened to fill needs on defense. Apparently it escaped your attention that five of the draft's 10 picks were offensive players (alongside two special teamers) putting defensive players in the minority. All 10 made the team, which is pretty remarkable.

Or perhaps those three highest picks were the best players available overall that also happened to fill needs on defense. Apparently it escaped your attention that five of the draft's 10 picks were offensive players (alongside two special teamers) putting defensive players in the minority. All 10 made the team, which is pretty remarkable.
Draft picks in the first three rounds are more important than in later rounds. The talent pool in the first three rounds is better than in later rounds, agree?

Best available is good when your roster is more or less set and you're competing for a title. That's not the case with the Pats. It's not about quantity. It's about filling the holes on your roster with quality.

Draft picks in the first three rounds are more important than in later rounds. The talent pool in the first three rounds is better than in later rounds, agree?

Best available is good when your roster is more or less set and you're competing for a title. That's not the case with the Pats. It's not about quantity. It's about filling the holes on your roster with quality.

You're trying to retrofit a biased argument. First of all, Gonzalez and White filled immediate needs and are potential future stars. Perhaps the team had them rated ahead of available offensive players in the slots they were taken. Mapu is a project showing potential. The fact these players made the team and have contributed justifies their selection. ALL FIVE of the offensive players also made the team and have contributed, as have the two kickers.

That said, it remains a bit early to fully assess this draft class. It's easy in retrospect to suggest the early picks shoulda-woulda-coulda been better applied to the offense, where injuries this season have taken a disproportionally bigger toll and Mac crapped the bed. But where BB more obviously botched things was in free agent signings.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back