PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will you follow Oakland and Carolina now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prediction: The Raiders will be a better team than the Panthers

I agree. Raiders may go 7-9 but Carolina without Peppers and a young QB will win 4/5 games at most.

Should we want the Raiders to win a few more games?

If we get a 6-10 pick, what will happen? BB trades back for more picks and we get more value and more picks. We need some IMPACT players.
Now,if we get a 12-17 pick, chances are BB takes a players here and doesn't trade back.

We all argue on here about us passing on top players for more Value.
What do you think?

Five to six possible losses? You think they'll be, without question, at least 10-6? Insane.

Not saying they can't get to that mark but to say they will and that there's only five to six possible losses on that schedule is barmy.
Unrelated to this thread, but good work on the United Reserves mate

Just to answer the question.

I always keep an eye on Oakland because I disdain the franchise and all it stands for (RIP, Darryl Stingley, we'll never forget you) and because they play the Bronco's and Chargers x2 and because I thought Jamarcus was waaay overrated from the getgo and enjoyed having that validated, but this year I'll follow their record, yeah. With a rookie cap, Belichick might actually use a top ten pick instead of trading it away, which is what I think he'd normally do. Carolina? Not as closely because I think they'll pick in the middle of the pack no matter what.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Oakland has improved dramatically. They might not be a .500 team yet, but my dreams of a top-3 pick next year are dead.

If that were the case, New England would trade down unless there's a rookie salary scale in place by then.

Ouch.

Thumbs Down:

To the Carolina Panthers, for not learning from past mistakes. I love the Jimmy Clausen pick, but the 3rd round was an unmitigated example of the definition of insanity. Badly in need of a wideout to take pressure off Steve Smith, the Panthers drafted Brandon LaFell, a carbon copy of the man he’s angling to replace, Dwayne Jarrett. If the last big, stiff-routed, iffy-handed wideout didn’t work, what makes GM Marty Hurney believe this one will? Hurney then compounded the mistake by trading a 2nd rounder next year to New England (who else?) to move up and select an undersized FCS quarterback, Armanti Edwards, that will transition to wide receiver. With the very next pick the Patriots took Ohio University wideout Taylor Price, who is bigger, stronger, faster, and has actually run a pass route and proven he’ll catch anything near him. The spin from Charlotte is that Edwards can be Josh Cribbs for them, but Cribbs is four inches taller and 35 pounds heavier, and even so he has struggled to find a role in Cleveland’s offense. Two years ago they grossly overpaid to move up and get Jeff Otah, who admittedly has been pretty good, and last year they dealt way too much to get Everette Brown. For a team completely devoid of depth across the board, the Panthers simply cannot afford to keep borrowing from the future to pay for the present--especially when the present doesn’t look too promising. They also can’t afford head-scratchers like taking a 3rd QB (Tony Pike) in the 6th round, not with so many depth issues all over the field.

RealGM Football: Wiretap Archives: Rules of Thumb, Post-Draft Edition

I always root against Oakland anyway (unless they're playing the Jets) so this will be easy. ;)

DirectV superfan ticket will be heating up next season. Oakland, Carolina, Cleveland, to route against ( as well as Denver and KC ) to watch old Patriots.

About that article, what's funny is, Carolina was reportedly interested in Taylor Price. But yet, they don't draft him... Okay?

The best thing about the draft isn't necessarily the live draft itself. What's fun is to follow a lot of these players in the first one or two seasons and see which teams made a bad choice in hindsight.

Yup, it's just a matter of when he'll be released at this point.

With the news that the Oakland Raiders are poised to release disappointing former top overall pick JaMarcus Russell, we're hearing some details about where Russell stands from a conditioning standpoint.

And it's not a positive development.

According to a league source with knowledge of the situation in Oakland, the hefty quarterback has beefed up to 300 pounds.

With Russell's big contract, lack of conditioning, the acquisition of Jason Campbell and the presence of Kyle Boller and Bruce Gradkowski, the handwriting is carved into the wall on this one.

Scout: JaMarcus Russell is tipping the scales at 300 pounds | National Football Post

An uneducated guess in April.....

We get the Raiders pick which falls at/approximately 18
We get the Panthers pick which falls at/approximately 37

Last edited:
No way is Oakland losing 12 or 13 games

You have to be kidding me

The Raiders have a really good underated defense and now at least have a QB that has started and won a little more than Russell did

The Raiders lost their second best player on defense last year in Morrison. They bring in a talented rookie in McClain who is a rookie only, and remember they are switching over to a 3-4 so that entire front 7 besides Seymour are learning a new system. Their defense was underrated last year, but they can struggle this year having to learn a new system.

An uneducated guess in April.....

We get the Raiders pick which falls at/approximately 18
18th means a team that's in the playoff hunt with about a week to go.

Not impossible but seriously unlikely.

The Raiders lost their second best player on defense last year in Morrison. They bring in a talented rookie in McClain who is a rookie only, and remember they are switching over to a 3-4 so that entire front 7 besides Seymour are learning a new system. Their defense was underrated last year, but they can struggle this year having to learn a new system.

The key is QB Campbell who I think didn't fit well in Washington and always looking behind his back as QB,I think he is a happier guy now and should show it.

The key is QB Campbell who I think didn't fit well in Washington and always looking behind his back as QB,I think he is a happier guy now and should show it.

I agree a change of scenery can be very beneficial at times, but his offensive options take a hit going from WSH to OAK. Campbell hasn't been a consistently good QB, Id be surprised to see that change in OAK imo.

The Raiders were third in the league in sacks allowed and Campbell is not a quick decision maker. We'll see.

As for the Raider defense it's easy to be an underrated when your offense scores 12.3 PPG and teams can shut it down in the 3rd quarter. If the Raider offense is improved the defense will face teams actually trying and needing to score all game and we'll see how good they are then. Even last year they were 23rd in pts allowed and, again, that's with offenses often just coasting.

18th means a team that's in the playoff hunt with about a week to go.

Not impossible but seriously unlikely.

Yeah,I am guessing 8-8 or 9-7 - I think the Raiders smell the playoffs but fall a bit short...second in that division is possible for them.

I do think that since there is no real standouts in the AFC on paper at this time that a 9-7 team can actually make the AFC playoffs this year again.

The Raiders were third in the league in sacks allowed and Campbell is not a quick decision maker. We'll see.

As for the Raider defense it's easy to be an underrated when your offense scores 12.3 PPG and teams can shut it down in the 3rd quarter. If the Raider offense is improved the defense will face teams actually trying and needing to score all game and we'll see how good they are then. Even last year they were 23rd in pts allowed and, again, that's with offenses often just coasting.

The key to the Raiders offense could be thier first rounder last season Heyward Bey who was considered a bust off where he was picked at #7 in 2009 but you have to give him a chance to redeem himself since the majority of throws came at the bust hands of Jamarcus Russell.

Maybe he wakes up,maybe he does not but this is the kid who could change the way the Raiders offense goes.

I read that Marshawn Lynch and Russell are cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back