PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we trade out of the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's either move up or move out. The 5th year option makes picks 30-32 more valuable than they used to be.

Belichick’s last few drafts haven’t been that good. He really needs to start hitting on some talent. Can’t afford to keep signing veterans because of his misses in the draft. The Jordan Richards picks still has me mad. What the hell was he thinking.

I am now thinking we might for the first time in a long time.....trade up into the 1st....

The last time we did this was for Jerod Mayo, right?

BB loves his TE's..........If one of his Iowa guys is available mid first....I think he jumps..........Then again, I've been wrong quite a few times on his choice of actions/picks......Don't know how many times I've yelled...WTF ... WHO?? :mad:

I am now thinking we might for the first time in a long time.....trade up into the 1st....

Believe 2012 draft they bumped around with Denver and Cincy to land Chandler Jones and Hightower

Believe 2012 draft they bumped around with Denver and Cincy to land Chandler Jones and Hightower
In 2011 they missed out on Mark Ingram and that disappointed me at the time but he didn’t end up being a superstar.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we did.

I think its much more likely that the Patriots trade UP than they trade out.
There are a few good D-Linemen who are worth trading up for.

I think I would be surprised if we did, depending on the return.

If trading our first sets up a good draft situation over the next 1-2 years I could see it, but most of our major roster issues right now are qualitative rather than quantitative. We need better players, not more players, in most positions of need, with the possible exception of WR. I don't see how trading down for additional picks helps us reach the level of qualitative improvement we need -- if anything I might be tempted to trade up -- but BB's surprised me before and will again.

They traded up twice in the 1st in one draft, Chandler Jones and Hightower.

Belichick’s last few drafts haven’t been that good. He really needs to start hitting on some talent. Can’t afford to keep signing veterans because of his misses in the draft. The Jordan Richards picks still has me mad. What the hell was he thinking.
I know if he keeps drafting like this we will keep only going to 4 SBs and winning 3 of them every 5 years.
What do you think the consequences should be if he doesn’t accomplish what he “really needs to do”?
How many more drafts that you don’t like can we put up with before we should fire his ass?

I think its much more likely that the Patriots trade UP than they trade out.
There are a few good D-Linemen who are worth trading up for.

TE and DL are the two positions I think they trade up for. If Hockenson, Ferrell and Christian Wilkins are on the board in the mid-late twenties, I can see them trading up. Maybe Fant too.

IF they stay at 32, then I think they will trade out. Hopefully they move up and grab a playmaker.

IF they stay at 32, then I think they will trade out. Hopefully they move up and grab a playmaker.

Obviously it depend who's there at 32. The advantage of drafting at 32 is that getting a 5 year option compared to a player drafted at 40.

As team's needs get filled in by FA signings and trades, the mock drafts should become closer to reality as far as team needs. It will be fun to see who the talking head experts think will be available and within reach of Pats if they want to trade up. I agree that quality will beat quantity for Pats in this draft.........having a bunch of 7th round picks doesn't really excite me......I hope BB concentrates on getting 2 or 3 really good players in the first 3 or 4 rounds........if he gets a diamond in the rough later, that's gravy.....just my HO..... :cool:

If some crap team offers next years first for the 32nd pick, you bet your ass they are trading it if BB think its will net him a top 10 pick in 2020.

If some crap team offers next years first for the 32nd pick, you bet your ass they are trading it if BB think its will net him a top 10 pick in 2020.

Sure, and also it is possible that they we trade gronk for 2 firsts. Each possibility us approximately equally likely of happening.

Last years Sony Michel experiment went pretty well. Do that again.

I will be OK with trading down if it's like 5 positions or so if they believe the player they want will be there at the begining of 2nd round and let's say there's a QB available at #32 that some teams want and will pay a premium for it. I don't believe in this falacy that you're gonna get a player at #50 that is in the same talent pool as the 1st rounders. Maybe in a poor draft which isn't the case.

I tend to disagree. There is no magic about the quality of last first rounders. Often, there is little difference in quality between 25-30 and 50-60.

Last years Sony Michel experiment went pretty well. Do that again.

I will be OK with trading down if it's like 5 positions or so if they believe the player they want will be there at the begining of 2nd round and let's say there's a QB available at #32 that some teams want and will pay a premium for it. I don't believe in this falacy that you're gonna get a player at #50 that is in the same talent pool as the 1st rounders. Maybe in a poor draft which isn't the case.

I know if he keeps drafting like this we will keep only going to 4 SBs and winning 3 of them every 5 years.
What do you think the consequences should be if he doesn’t accomplish what he “really needs to do”?
How many more drafts that you don’t like can we put up with before we should fire his ass?

I agree with your viewpoint far more than I disagree. I think there's still room for an interesting discussion. We've gotten great production from key contributors; we've also seen a lot of question marks. Thankfully, the contributions outweigh the missed time due to injuries. Last year's rookie class mostly ended up on IR, although Michel and Jackson (UDFA) really pulled through down the stretch. We may not win without those two. Two high end starters for cheap counts as a major hit in my book. Overall, that makes last year's draft a big success, even if most of the players ended up on IR.

The draft is overrated -- it's only a tiny part of team building, although its value is in inexpensive 4 or 5 year contracts. Would it be nice to have some cheap, young contributors? Yeah, of course no team will turn that down. But is it fair to judge Belichick's drafts purely on the basis of the non-contributors? I think that's a bit reductionist.

Belichick is the best in the business at identifying players who can help (at the right price point) and he uses trades, free agency, the draft, undrafted free agency, etc, to build the team. He's not married to one way of acquiring talent, and I think the results speak for themselves, as you've pointed out above. People get too worked up about draft grades, or wanting every single player in a 20 rookie class (I'm including UDFA) to pan out. The reality is that every team will swing and miss, but as long as we're hitting on a few players, that's enough.

I would suggest that the last few drafts are considered "poor" by outsiders or pessimistic fans, but they're ignoring that we've had really poor luck with injuries. There's no way to know ahead of time that Garcia would develop blood clots in his lungs, or that Wynn would tear his achilles in a freak accident, or that someone would dive into the back of Mitchell's knees and end his career after he'd overcome similar injuries. :(

Just look at the players who missed significant time over the last few years:

New England Patriots All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

On the flip side, when we've found good players, they've been essential to our success. Look at how strong our interior OL is right now -- one of the very best in the league -- and you'll see players that were all drafted or brought in as UDFA. I'd say that's key to the Super Bowl win. If we couldn't handle Suh and Donald, we don't win last year.

Oh, and one of the defensive players, Flowers, just signed a record contract in FA. Does that count as hitting on a talent? I forgot; he's just a system rusher and doesn't count. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case