PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we still be in a 4-3 next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ Blitz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I know it's only a title, and I now we flip flop between 4-3 and 3-4 depending on which sucks less at the given time, but will they just scrap the 4-3 next year? I think we yielded better results with a 3-4, and most of our offseason acquisitions have stunk.

I predict we will see a hybrid mix of both the 43 and the 34.

This brilliant prognosis is based on the fact we use a mix of 43 and 34 ever season.

Apparently, the 4-3 base was deemed more simple and easier to teach, hence its predominance in the earlier parts of the season. I have no idea if this is true; it's was one of those "I read it somewhere" things.

43 is usually known for a better pass defense, but it kind of requires the ability to get pressure consistently with just 4, allowing the smaller and more athletic LB's to assist in coverage.

43 is also generally considered easier to find talent for, pass rushing DE's are more common than 34 OLBs.

I think it would be smart for us to grab a 43 DE and a safety in the first round if anyone worth drafting is left on the board.

Edit: Also remember, we spend 60-70% of our time in sub packages, not a base 43/34.

Last edited:
probably 4-3

the kinds of OLB's needed for BB's 3-4 scheme no longer exist on this planet, so they are going tampa-2

Considering that they have been playing more and more 3-4 as the year goes on, my guess is that it will be back to normal next season, 3-4 base with 4-man line subpackages.

Our defense defies explanation as we use so many different combinations in the course of the year..

Adaptable defense may be more appropo...

Considering that they have been playing more and more 3-4 as the year goes on, my guess is that it will be back to normal next season, 3-4 base with 4-man line subpackages.

IMO Belichick pretty much stated as much when he explained that he went to a 4-3 base because his usual D is too complicated to implement in a shortened offseason.

Personally, I think that our personnel are by and large much better suited for a 3-4 (especially if Carter doesn't come back). I also conceptually prefer the 3-4, assuming that you can find talented players who are capable of executing it.

Last edited:
I'm only concerned with the Dolphins this week.

We'll evaluate our talent after the year is over and go on from there. :bricks:

I'm only concerned with the Dolphins this week.

We'll evaluate our talent after the year is over and go on from there. :bricks:

I think you've mistaken yourself for Bill Belichick.

We are not coaches for the Patriots; we're a bunch of fans speculating on a message board.

What would be really interesting is to see what BB's actual thoughts are on the defense.

Dion Sanders called the defense hot garbage. The mediot howling is unbelieveable.

However, he seemed to be very pleased with the Denver adjustments.

I bet he has a different evaluation criteria.

Having seen Mayo in the 4-3 as both the Mike and Will this year, he's definately better as a 3-4 ILB. I think Wilfork is better suited to it as well. I hope we go back to it.

I think they will be predominantly 3-4 next season, most of their defensive front 7 is built with players better suited for a 3-4 and it would make sense, although I would still like Carter and Anderson back regardless.

Wilfork, Love, Deadrick, Pryor, and Brace if he returns are all primarily 3-4 guys, and i don't see Ellis, Warren, and Wright back next season. carter can be used situationally to switch up and get after the passer.

The linebacking corps is much better suited for 3-4 with Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Ninkovich, and Anderson. Guyton and Cunningham are going to really have too step it up to return imo.

They have a great deal of work to do in the offseason to become a much better defense but there are fewer problems to address if they are a 3-4 base than if they try to overhaul it completely.

I agree with your analysis.

Personally, I see Cunningham, Warren and Markel Carter coming back and competing in camp. I don't see Ellis or Guyton coming back.

Carter should be able to get another team to pay him well for a season or two in the 4-3.

This is the front seven that Belichick developed last year, and played well in the 2nd half, with Anderson as an upgrade for Banta-Cain.

For 2012 We will need the normal 2-4 rent-a-players. Hopefully, we will also bring in a couple of youngsters for the future.

TEN TO BUILD ON
DL: Deaderick, Wilfork, Love, Brace, Pryor
SUB and LB: Ninkovich, Anderson, Mayo, Fletcher, Spikes

BOTTOM LINE
This team is in the middle of the pack in points scored against. We "need" to get better. If we don't, we are still one of the top 5 teams in the nfl as long as Brady and Belichick are here. If we do, we will be preseason Super Bowl favorites every year.

I think they will be predominantly 3-4 next season, most of their defensive front 7 is built with players better suited for a 3-4 and it would make sense, although I would still like Carter and Anderson back regardless.

Wilfork, Love, Deadrick, Pryor, and Brace if he returns are all primarily 3-4 guys, and i don't see Ellis, Warren, and Wright back next season. carter can be used situationally to switch up and get after the passer.

The linebacking corps is much better suited for 3-4 with Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Ninkovich, and Anderson. Guyton and Cunningham are going to really have too step it up to return imo.

They have a great deal of work to do in the offseason to become a much better defense but there are fewer problems to address if they are a 3-4 base than if they try to overhaul it completely.

this Defense is not 1 or 2 players away from being top 5 so BB will have to adjust from game to game and snap to snap

It depends on how many pass rushing DEs/LBs that BB decides we dont' need. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

What would be really interesting is to see what BB's actual thoughts are on the defense.

Dion Sanders called the defense hot garbage. The mediot howling is unbelieveable.

However, he seemed to be very pleased with the Denver adjustments.

I bet he has a different evaluation criteria.

He also called the Pats defense, THE worst defense in the NFL. In fact, I've never heard so many people call us that, to be honest. On the one hand it sucks. On the other, this worst defense in the NFL may very well be on the team that is the #1 seed in the AFC. Figure that one out. Teams that can run the ball and play great defense win, my butt. :)

P.S. - No matter what defense we play, we darned sure will have to draft/acquire multiple safties and CBs. Have we ever had less talent there? If we have, it's only my poor memory that makes me forget when.
P.P.S. - Which #32 will we get at CB next year? Rookie #32, or this year's?
P.P.P.S. - Can Ras I-Dowling play and if so, can he stay healthy?

P.S. - No matter what defense we play, we darned sure will have to draft/acquire multiple safties and CBs. Have we ever had less talent there? If we have, it's only my poor memory that makes me forget when.
P.P.S. - Which #32 will we get at CB next year? Rookie #32, or this year's?
P.P.P.S. - Can Ras I-Dowling play and if so, can he stay healthy?

I hope I-Dowling makes the switch to S next year, that should give them that would give them the 4 starters in the defensive backfield and they can focus on upgrading the rest with free agency and the draft. There is no Ed Reed in this draft so I don't think they will be taking a safety in the first round and maybe not even on day 2, but I do think they will add at least 1 if not 2 CB's in the first 3 rounds depending on how free agency plays out. The Patriots did make a mistake in letting Goldson leave town and go back to the Niners so they are going to have to really upgrade depth at Safety through this years free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back