PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we likely have the divisions #4 QB in 2020?

Trey Lance QB is the move if we don’t trade the farm for Zach Wilson if not for him we trade up or let Trey Lance fall to us.
Trey lance will fall to us.. highly doubt jets will take justin fields .. too much risk for saleh.. so he will try to get more draft picks and go Flores way...

Whether we take lance with our 15 is another question. For a qb who just played 1 season and in a relatively less competitive division , too much of a risk ...

he needs surgery because he can’t read defenses pre snap and is slow to read defenses post snap.

if you hold the ball in the nfl, they will get you.
Dak Prescott's rookie year he walked into the best offensive line situation in the NFL, he could have set a table service and had brunch back there. Blocking matters, it matters more than weapons... which frankly the Bengals aren't lacking at all, football is won at the line of scrimmage.

OK, and who can we get out there for 25m? Marcus Mariotta? Is he a guy who can drive this team to a division title or multiple playoff wins?

You will most likely get Mariota for a 3rd (i.e. value of Raiders comp pick in 2023) which we don't have and 10.7M in cap hit for 2021.

The question is what new information would make BB & co interested in a player they seemingly had no interest in last offseason when he was a FA and signed a backup deal. That one game he got to play can't really tip the scales that much.

fair enough.

I hereby apologize to Ring 6

The problem was that I was very sure that the poster well understood what I meant. We have read each other's posts for many years.

But, I was wrong. Again, I apologize.

Great post. I nominate this as a post of the year nominee.

Pivot : in light of last night’s results, where does BAL rank at QB in their division ? Former MVP : maybe 4th.

Pivot : in light of last night’s results, where does BAL rank at QB in their division ? Former MVP : maybe 4th.
If you possess a QB who is great in the regular season against dogs and on Madden Football, but who will never bring you to a Super Bowl because he can't pass... is he actually good?

fair enough.

I hereby apologize to Ring 6

The problem was that I was very sure that the poster well understood what I meant. We have read each other's posts for many years.

But, I was wrong. Again, I apologize.
I read your words which were WE WILL HAVE THE WORST QB IN THR NFL. If you mean something different than you write that’s not a reading comprehension problem it’s a writing problem.

OK, and who can we get out there for 25m? Marcus Mariotta? Is he a guy who can drive this team to a division title or multiple playoff wins?

I'm not worried about Tua or Darnold yet, but Josh Allen looks like the real deal. Interesting that Buffalo spent a high pick on a QB, #7 and he panned out. Could the Patriots follow suit in 2021? This year's QB class seems really strong, and stronger than 2022 at the moment. One of the top 5 QBs will slide to us OR the Pats could trade up into the top 10 to get the guy they really want.

Speaking of cap management, there's no better financial bargain than a franchise QB on his rookie contract IF your scouting and draft decision pans out.
If Bill sees the players, I would BOTH use $20M-$25 of cap room for a veteran AND get one of the top 5 (some would say 7, since whoever it is would likely be one of the top 5 chosen).
====================
Let's be clear, we would still have a large amount of money left for free agency. It is reasonable for a team to be using $25M of cap room for the QB position.

You don’t need a “generational” QB to win in the playoffs. 13 playoffs games will be won this year. There might be 2 generational QBs.
I agree.
However, the final 8 teams all had QB's as good Goff.

I read your words which were WE WILL HAVE THE WORST QB IN THR NFL. If you mean something different than you write that’s not a reading comprehension problem it’s a writing problem.
OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL
Without serious action, I do believe that we will have the worst QB in the AFCE. Many of the approaches by posters here would lead to that result. Many are proposing not drafting a QB until the 2nd round (IMO it is unlikely that such a QB would start and be better than Tua/Fitz). Others seem to be discussing low level QB's to be signed as a backup (again quite possibly not as good as Tua/Fitz).

THAT BEING SAID
I do NOT expect Belichick to abdicate his responsibilities as GM and to again fail to bring in a QB capable of bring us to the playoffs. I expect a QB that Belichick believes is better than Tua/Fitz. I would NOTE that such efforts as Mariotta/2nd round pick may result in us having the 4th best QB in the league.
============
AFTER ALL THE DISCUSSION
Do you agree?

Very graceful acceptance of an apology. :rolleyes:

Since it was a passive aggressive, tongue in cheek “apology” what would you expect

There is no perfect apology. @mgteich's effort greatly outweighed yours. At the very least you could match the effort, be polite, and meet him halfway, even if you are doubtful of the apology's genuineness. That is called being "graceful" - acting in a non-confrontational, polite manner even in a tense situation.

There is no perfect apology. @mgteich's effort greatly outweighed yours. At the very least you could match the effort, be polite, and meet him halfway, even if you are doubtful of the apology's genuineness. That is called being "graceful" - acting in a non-confrontational, polite manner even in a tense situation.
You seem to not understand the sarcasm of his “apology”
Apologizing for saying a person lacks reading comprehension by saying I’m sorry I thought he could comprehend is just another shot. It is not graceful or polite by any means.

Looks like watson could come to afc east... wow ..

Looks like watson could come to afc east... wow ..
It would fall right in line with Little Nicky's & the Easterbunny's personalities if they were to trade him to the Jesters...

Miami is a decent bet as watson might not want to go to jets. Miami has two firsts which they can spare for watson with tua packaged in...

Or it could be indy where he would automatically catapult them to contender status.

Miami is a decent bet as watson might not want to go to jets. Miami has two firsts which they can spare for watson with tua packaged in...

Or it could be indy where he would automatically catapult them to contender status.

If anybody in Miami has half a brain, they should be blowing up caserio’s phone.

I’m an experienced Madden GM, here are the moves I make that BB won’t:

Trade for Matt Stafford.
Draft Mac Jones & Jaylen Waddle.

Then sign TY Hilton & Hunter Henry.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes