PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
Dislike seemed appropriate. Calling someone a girl as a pejorative is immature and frankly misogynst and has no place in a civil discussion.

"Crying like a child"
"Crying like a little boy"
"Crying like a little girl"

Misogynist is being strongly prejudiced against women it is not however misogynist when comparing the acts of a grown man to that of a little girl or boy or child. IMO

If I said to my son, "you throw like a girl", that would be somewhat misogynistic and might insult both my daughter and son but if I were to say to my son, "you throw like your sister". he would be pleased because my daughter has a rocket for an arm. :)

The Crying Game

Girls and boys cry about the same amount of times until they reach the age of twelve, by the time they are eighteen women cry on average four times more than men. That is about 5.3 cries a month compared to a man's 1.4 times per month according to research by Dr. William Frey who studies tears.
So what you should have said is cries like a woman, not a little girl. Then it is factually correct.

I think I've managed to alienate everyone now...

Noooo don't try to use common sense. You'll be labeled a misogynist and be told to get with the times. o_O

Could we please stop using the term girl as a degrading term on this forum? Stuff like that happens surprisingly often here, and feels like you've went back a bunch of years in time, while it doesn't add anything.

No

This is not PoliticallycorrectPatsfans.com

My Madden team on Easy Mode is at least 6 deep, and I don't settle for anything less than 3 Pro Bowls for my backup QB. Anyone can get 1 Pro Bowl vote, so you gotta make sure it's quality depth.

Reminded me of a classic thread from 2008

I'm basically the best madden player in franchise mode in the US

I'm pretty sure I know how to build a successful franchise

Cliff Notes version: gick was adamant that the Patriots should trade Brady prior to the 2008 season since he was over the age of 30, and therefore over the hill; he proceeded to pat himself on the back, citing the season opening knee injury as proof.

Do you play real football? Do you coach real football? Or do you watch it on tv?

At least I play madden

Cliff Notes version: gick was adamant that the Patriots should trade Brady prior to the 2008 season since he was over the age of 30, and therefore over the hill; he proceeded to pat himself on the back, citing the season opening knee injury as proof.

People had him in their sigs for years, as I recall.

So we are complaining about a situation that virtually all 32 teams face?

All 32 teams have no more than 2 quality linebackers?

And even if not, how does that mean we have quality depth?

Kinda OT, but I dig this observation from the "Gick" thread:

And Manning couldn't find a weight room with a map. He will start to break down years before Brady's physical skills start to diminish.

The Patriots have more than 2 quality linebackers, especially if they play a 34 front and you classify the DE's as OLBs. For the record, Jerod Mayo is a quality linebacker returning from a series of major injuries. There's 3 alone.

Last edited:
By December of an NFL season there may be some, but the list is very short.

The salary cap, free agency and injuries put all teams in that position.

This isn't a video game and it isn't fantasy football. Nor is it college football where a powerhouse can recruit all blue chippers and their opponents are left with the scraps.

Given the realities outlined above, it seems to me that your expectations may be unrealistic.

No disrespect but I think this is overly sensitive. Would you have had a problem if he said "crying like a little kid"?
I expect not. The reason ought to be obvious.

That is unbelievably funny.

Anyone else ready to admit our secondary blows yet?

Anyone else ready to admit we have no depth behind Hightower and Collins yet?

Getting carved by the ****ing Giants.

This reminds me of 2011. Good enough for the regular season, points allowed stats look great, but everyone knows this secondary can be picked on.

Sorry, man.

Nobody ~ and I mean nobody ~ has lambasted Mad Bill more over the last 8-10 Years, here and in previous Forums, about his lack of attention to our Depth at MidFielder ~ LineBacker, to you Earthlings ~ than I.

But this Year, he has not only managed to accumulate greater Depth of Talent at Dragon ~ the Defensive End/MidFielder Gig, to you Earthlings ~ than ever before with Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jabaal Sheard, Donta HighTower, and some intriguing Young Talent, and as far as Bandits ~ like the inestimable Jamie Collins ~ and pure MidFielders ~ like Jerod Mayo ~ he has gathered together not only those two but Brandon Spikes ~ a genuine SuperBeast against The Run ~ and Dane Fletcher ~ a potential All Pro if he can ever stay on the Field for five minutes ~ but Jon Bostic ~ a guy I denounced as Highly OverRated when he went in the 2nd Round ~ correctly, thank you very much!! :D ~ but who is very cerebral and a potentially huge Contributor to a Crew ~ and Jonathan Freeney, who I would've given a Scrapper 6th/7th Round Grade to, but who has obviously applied himself and has developed into a Contender 4th/5th Round Guy.

And that's not to mention Darius Fleming.

Obviously, Spikes didn't work out.

But you can't account for everything ~ not with a Salary Cap.

In other words: Mad Bill has managed to accumulate astonishing Depth of Talent.

Injuries happen. But nobody prepared better for'm than Mad Bill.

Let it go, Man. :cool:

Last edited:
I've read your posts for a couple of years. Wish someone would put you down, you're delusional and old.

jester.gif

You've actually got a pretty good point, there...But I for one love Brother Joker: He's got the best Get Off My Lawn Vibe going!! Reminds me of Gramp Martin from The Case of the Condemned Cat!!
jester.gif

He's always welcome to test his "delusional and old" theory in person, Grid. My theory is he's a gutless coward suffering from "internet righteous" disease.

In a 3-4 or 4-3, is the third linebacker a "backup"?
We play 4-2-5 because Collins and Hightower can make up for not having another linebacker, and the extra DB can make up for our lack of talent back there.

Behind our 2, we have no one we'd want starting in the playoffs.
No, in a 3-4 or a 43 the 3rd LB is a starter. But as you said, we play neither of those formations as base. We use the 42. And it's not only because we have Hightower and Collins. A lot of it is because the NFL is a passing league. So there will be many more times where the 3rd CB or safety is needed over a 3rd LB. That's just how the game mainly is now.

How many teams have a backup LB that fans would want starting in the playoffs? I'd say pretty few. And of those that have, I'd say that a bunch of that is because the starters aren't that good, so the drop off isn't huge.

Last edited:
Remember when he said nink was our best d linemen and jones was just "above average" sheard might as well didn't exist and our interior guys were either unknown or jags? Funny time that was.

This much is certain: the defense which will take the field tomorrow afternoon is in better position
to succeed than the offense which will take the field tomorrow afternoon.

Just as long as he doesn't dislike or disagree with one of your posts, all should be swell. :p
Does anyone know if it's ok to dislike or disagree with a post as long as you just think it and don't click anything?

This much is certain: the defense which will take the field tomorrow afternoon is in better position
to succeed than the offense which will take the field tomorrow afternoon.
Yeah but at least we re playing philly. I think some of the high school teams playing today could give them a game.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back