PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will there be a football season in 2020?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will there be a football season in 2020?

• Hell ya

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • No

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Yes but with weird 1/2 full stadiums

Votes: 17 19.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2021 draft will be interesting with the possibility of no football in 2020. Wonder what the procedure for draft order???

Could always play at empty stadiums I guess. Unless players say no thanks to playing at all.
Some teams are used to playing in empty stadiums :D

The 2021 draft will be interesting with the possibility of no football in 2020. Wonder what the procedure for draft order???
The NCAA extended eligibility for an extra year for spring sports (and maybe winter) that got cancelled so I imagine this would also apply to fall sports, should those be cancelled. The interesting question, should that happen is, how many athletes would opt for that extra year and stay in school, especially if they weren't projected to be drafted as high as they would like.

This is difficult to predict how It will end but it looks to me quite impossible that a normal schedule will happen...

If the things will be better ( and we hope for it but the signals are not at all going in the good direction... ) we could see a delay and a short season probably with empty stadiums too...

Probably no pre season at all ...

But it really really looks all in jeopardy

A real possibility that no season at all...

But priority nr one NOW is our health everywhere in the world

It ain't going away in the fall football season. It's flu season.

My first bet: no season
2nd guess: delayed season but with no fans in attendance and with mandatory pre-game testing
3rd wildcard: this turns out to be "only" ~2-3x as bad as a bad seasonal flu and society adjusts to live with it so we have a delayed, shortened football season

Reactions: Ian
OK. Let us say that we very reliable tests available by the end of May (extremely likely IMO). Presume that these tests can give results within an hour (it was 4 in China in December). If every player and staff member is tested every time they enter the facility, why should cancel anything?

I do accept that all pre-camp activity will likely be cancelled.

OK. Let us say that we very reliable tests available by the end of May (extremely likely IMO). Presume that these tests can give results within an hour (it was 4 in China in December). If every player and staff member is tested every time they enter the facility, why should cancel anything?

I do accept that all pre-camp activity will likely be cancelled.

That means a lot of tests need to be administered before every practice, game, and meeting. Those tests are needed for ordinary people. And how are you going to play football 6 feet away from the other players? I mean if you're Jordan Richards playing CB it's no problem...

Most likely a draft lottery based on the 2019 final standings...NE would get the 23rd best chance of getting the 1st overall pick (Trevor Lawrence).

I’m not sure even empty stadiums will work because there are a **** Ton of people needed to put on an NFL game.

players, refs, coaches, medical staffs, broadcasting crews

lots of people. Lots.

I’m not sure even empty stadiums will work because there are a **** Ton of people needed to put on an NFL game.

players, refs, coaches, medical staffs, broadcasting crews

lots of people. Lots.
so?
All would tested in the same way as players.

That means a lot of tests need to be administered before every practice, game, and meeting. Those tests are needed for ordinary people. And how are you going to play football 6 feet away from the other players? I mean if you're Jordan Richards playing CB it's no problem...

You are correct if we are in July and we still don't have enough testing kits. We should have more than enough for every individual in the country to be tested as often as they are will to pay for a kit, like pregnancy testing kits today.

You are correct if we are in July and we still don't have enough testing kits. We should have more than enough for every individual in the country to be tested as often as they are will to pay for a kit, like pregnancy testing kits today.

That sounds very optimistic. I don't know if the US can reach that kind of production by that point

The season will be played.

Nostroverdamus has spoken. :)

so?
All would tested in the same way as players.

unless it’s an all encompassing test, which by that point we may have, then I wouldn’t trust just taking everyone’s temperature and declaring it good to play. Thinking of people with the virus who are asymptomatic. Plus thinking of social distancing measures and (as it stands now), we shouldn’t be in groups >10

Again, if we have an all encompassing test, different story. Things may be completely different comes September. Sure hope so

unless it’s an all encompassing test, which by that point we may have, then I wouldn’t trust just taking everyone’s temperature and declaring it good to play. Thinking of people with the virus who are asymptomatic. Plus thinking of social distancing measures and (as it stands now), we shouldn’t be in groups >10

Again, if we have an all encompassing test, different story. Things may be completely different comes September. Sure hope so

I 100% agree. I expect tests for the virus that can be evaluated in an hour to be available by the end of June at the latest.

Could always play at empty stadiums I guess. Unless players say no thanks to playing at all.

Would be like having 16 "Home" games for the Bengals and Jete.

I’m starting to have my doubts.

Would that mean Brady plays in Tampa Bay for only one year?

Would that mean Brady plays in Tampa Bay for only one year?
probably none if there is no 2020 season
But he may need to show up in 2021 to get his first year guaranteed money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe