PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Dolphins play their starters on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta figure they'll (LOLphins) go for it, at least at the start. Moore needs the reps.

Also, MIA will be playing for a shot at the #5 seed, which would at least give them a chance (small as it is) of a home game and would give them an easier first-round matchup.

Also, MIA will be playing for a shot at the #5 seed, which would at least give them a chance (small as it is) of a home game and would give them an easier first-round matchup.

If that happens it's more likely we play miami in the divisional.

To me, it's a no brainer.

If I'm Gase, I've already way-exceeded expectation. so why would I take my foot off the gas now?

What better way to go into a Playoff game that nobody ever expected you to play other than by beating the Patriots and finishing with 11 wins? Especially if there's even a remote chance that I could avoid a trip to Pittsburgh and get to play the team that is on everybody's "most likely one and done list" this year?

Because you are down one QB and if your super sub gets injured then you have no chance to go anywhere in the playoffs against a bunch of teams which, aside from the Pats, are relatively weak. This is a good opportunity for MIA to win a game or two in the playoffs, why risk that to beat the Pats in a fairly meaningless game. From our side, I think we start cooking up the brisket and run run run the ball.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is both teams are in the playoffs which means they could see each other again with a lot more on the line in potentially 2 weeks. If the pats win and then miami beats Pittsburgh we play them in back to back games. How much of our A game should we show them to secure the #1 seed? On their end how much do you show knowing you are gonna need 4-5 surprises to upset the pats in NE?

What I expect to see is the same for both teams, anyone who is truly hurting and could use a week off (Bennet, Hightower, Amendola for instance) will get it. Star players you don't want to get injured (Brady, Edelman, Butler) should play the first half or so while playing a pretty vanilla scheme. The more talented team with greater depth should win that game and I believe that to be the pats.

Agreed.
2 things factor more than any kind of seeding implications: 1. its a divisional game (you don't throw those away especially at home). 2. the two teams can meet in the playoffs.

For Miami 5th or 6th doesn't mean much difference in the big scheme of things .. very likely their road to SB goes through Foxboro.
For New England 1st or 2nd seed is probably not so crucial anymore with Carr out.

While I believe both teams will go full in (with some regard to some banged up players) it will be interesting to see how they go about saving stuff for possible later meeting. I guess they'll both play hard for victory without extra stuff to risk or reveal.
_

Here's a view from the other side with some possible personnel implications:

Miami's already suffered through major injuries this season. The team has lost center Mike Pouncey (hip) and safety Reshad Jones (shoulder) for the season, and quarterback Ryan Tannehill (knee) likely isn't coming back anytime soon. It may be in the Dolphins' best interest to protect their players and enter the postseason in two weeks as healthy as possible.

They have several key members playing hurt, such as left tackle Branden Albert (wrist), linebacker Kiko Alonso (hamstring, thumb) and rookie guard Laremy Tunsil (shoulder). No. 1 corner Byron Maxwell also missed last weekend's win in Buffalo with an ankle injury. An extra week of rest could help these players.

Gase already stated today that they plan to play to win... Game on and I want to see the Pats win this...

“We need to do everything to make sure we are 1-0 at the end of this week,” Gase said, via the Miami Herald. “I talked to [owner Stephen] Ross last night and Mike and Chris. We were talking about our plan going forward this week. We have an opportunity to play after Week 17 but our main focus is this week. We are going to stick to plan and not look ahead. This is a team if you look past them, they will embarrass you.”

Broncos/Raiders does not matter. Dolphins win/Chiefs lose means the wild card game is Chiefs vs. Steelers.
I'd much prefer having KC play Pittsburgh to get one of those 2 teams out. That could happen via KC winning the division, or KC falling to the 6 seed.

Otherwise, PIT takes advantage of a backup QB situation (at home) vs MIA in the wildcard round, then goes on to play at OAK in yet another backup QB situation. They probably win both by double digits, while we draw the dangerous Chiefs in our first game in the divisional round. Under that scenario, we'd have to play the only 2 teams that pose any real threat (KC and then PIT).

If they beat pitt...
Yes, "if" they sweep both games vs PIT this season, with the second coming on the road in a Heinz field postseason environment, with the Dolphins having to rely on a backup QB.

Lol. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back