PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Sony make this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imahobgoblin

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I was listening to Florio and Simms this morning and they have a feeling Sony will be cut. Our current RB roster is Sony, Harris, White, Taylor, Stevenson, and Bolden with Johnson and Vitale at FB. We obviously cannot carry everyone here. Who will be cut?

My instinct is that Vitale and Bolden get cut. I don't think more than 3 backs (plus Johnson) may be active on gameday every week, but they'll want depth there on a run-first team. I think Sony isn't a lock for the 53, but I also think they would trade him for a late rounder before they cut him. Someone would give up something to secure him on a cheap deal. But I would keep him personally and let him run for his next contract (whether it's here or somewhere else).

If Sony gets beat out by the likes of JJ Taylor and Bolden then he deserves to be cut from the team

Realistically the depth chart looks to me like:
HB1 Harris
HB2 Michel
HB3 Stevenson
3rd Down HB White

If Stevenson has a great camp he has a chance to pass Michel, but Harris is the incumbent HB1 for now.

Sony is still on his rookie contract. He had a couple of big games last year when Harris was hurt. Plus the Patriots had Burkhead last year too. I think Bolden is gone and you keep Sony one more year.

Harris is clearly the number one back but he has been hurt at some point in every season he has played. I think Sony will be able to spell Harris and keep him healthier through the season.

I was listening to Florio and Simms this morning and they have a feeling Sony will be cut. Our current RB roster is Sony, Harris, White, Taylor, Stevenson, and Bolden with Johnson and Vitale at FB. We obviously cannot carry everyone here. Who will be cut?
I think Vitale is cut. Bolden isn't a lock.

I expect injuries to play a factor in the RB battle. I would be shocked if all of the 6 HB you listed stay healthy between today and and the 53 man cut down.

Stevenson is going to have to be on the accelerated RB schedule to knock Michel off the roster. White, Vereen, and Harris all basically redshirted for their rookie seasons, while Ridley only had a notable role in one of his first 13 games. At this point, I'd expect Michel on the roster and Stevenson under 30 carries.

I think he'll either be traded or make the 53.

The way I see it:

Harris - Lock
White - Lock
Stevenson - Lock cuz' of draft status and ST's.
Bolden - Lock cuz' of ST's...and he can start a game in a pinch...he has run well in limited opportunities including a good game against us while with the Fish.
Taylor - On the bubble....

We will carry 5 backs...but Johnson/Vitale/Keene's FB battle will factor into that as well...along with Keene's TE positional battle.

I'd prefer to keep Michel....Harris hasn't shown that he is durable as well....but if the Falcons call us for something like Michel/Harry/$$$/Picks for Julio Jones....I'd be tempted.

The Patriots don't really have a Nr. 1 back. Harris and Sony will split carries until one of them gets hurt. Then Stevenson will get some, otherwise he'll have a red shirt year like Harris, White ...

Johnson won't count on the PS and the rules for bouncing players back and forth essentially make a 55-man roster, from what I can see.

So, Keane or Stevenson becomes the 53 fullback and Johnson is there to come up when needed, maybe?

Sony should easily make the team (5.7 ypc last year). I hope they THROW to him a lot. They finally did it a couple of times later last year and he handled it well. He's great "in space."

if not traded hes staying. no way he's cut.

Florio and Simms producers: "What's on our list of things to say to get fans upset and posting about us on the internets?"

Sony is the only proven depth the team has behind Harris, who has missed time every year due to injuries. Sony will be back this year as a rb2 to give Harris a rest and fill in if he Harris gets hurt.

When healthy Sony has been pretty good. But he gets hurt a lot. And he's played hurt a lot, which led to some uninspiring performances.

I definitely think he's worth a place on the 53.

BB declined the 5th year option... no rumors popped up about moving him out, so that makes me think we will run his wheels off this season, then cut him loose next year...

Cut? He was running well late last year. I don't think he liked watching Harris, and his running style showed it. He's playing for a contract now on top of that, with a draftee to light another fire under his ass. No way in hell do you cut him.

Simms is a clown, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes