PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or as a hybrid S/LB like Rodney and Tank Williams. People forget that Moore had 8 picks his junior season as a coverage Safety. As a Senior, he played mostly nickel back as a quasi-linebacker vs the run. If he hasn't proven at the Senior Bowl that he can show flashes of his junior year (in coverage), of course his stock will drop. I'm still keeping him on my Pats board, regardless of the poor reports, and hope he slides to round two.

Here is a sobering statistic James Lauranitis had more interceptions as a ILB than Moore has as a S. He also has a lot more sacks Too, his Pass Defense stats ranks with some of the DB backs too.

If you can't get the Safety to shut down the middle this year from the third line, at S; then stop them from the second line by a complete ILB that can cover as well as stuff the run... :cool::p

Last edited:
Here is a sobering statistic James Lauranitis had more interceptions as a ILB than Moore has as a S. He also has a lot more sacks Too, his Pass Defense stats ranks with some of the DB backs too.

If you can't get the Safety to shut down the middle this year from the third line, at S; then stop them from the second line by a complete ILB that can cover as well as stuff the run... :cool::p

I still think Merriweather is a better in the box S than Moore projects to be.

A Smith has looked very good at CB thus far in practice. His ball skills are exceptional. I think BB can make him a much better CB against taller receivers.

I still think Merriweather is a better in the box S than Moore projects to be.

A Smith has looked very good at CB thus far in practice. His ball skills are exceptional. I think BB can make him a much better CB against taller receivers.
Here, here!

If Meriweather is our in the box safety, who would be a better centerfielder?

R. Johnson - Bama

Or a couple of converted cb's?

S. Smith - Utah

D.J. Moore - Vandy

Mayock said that he is not coming out of his breaks quickly and the buzz around is he might be projected as a LB.

If Meriweather is our in the box safety, who would be a better centerfielder?

R. Johnson - Bama

Or a couple of converted cb's?

S. Smith - Utah

D.J. Moore - Vandy
James Sanders. Though I would be very happy with Johnson to develop behind him.

James Sanders. Though I would be very happy with Johnson to develop behind him.

We need a S to compete with Sanders and play next to BW .. how deeps is this years class? Any value in round 2 for the sort of SS/LB hybrid sort BB covets?

We need a S to compete with Sanders and play next to BW .. how deeps is this years class? Any value in round 2 for the sort of SS/LB hybrid sort BB covets?
I would caution you and any others looking for a SS/LB hybrid against getting their hearts too firmly set on the concept. I believe BB had a role in mind that may have grown out of what Rodney could do as an in the box Safety, but bodies and minds like Rodney's are few and far between and are "opportunities to excell" rather than foundational pieces.

Speaking for foundational pieces, as you pointed out, the true need at S this offseason isn't a hybrid body, it's your plain, old, garden variety S - NFL issue, one each. With Meriweather flashing some serious playmaker potential at SS this season, and James Sanders entering Free Agency, the most critical need is at FS. Louis Delmas of Western Michigan is pulling ahead of the pack and would seem to have earned a solid second round grade while in Mobile. Rashad Johnson (AL) and Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest) are next. Eugene Chung (OR) hasn't pushed his stock up, but he's held his draftnik "value" in the second round - I don't see any S carrying a first round grade at the moment.

Eugene Chung (OR) hasn't pushed his stock up, but he's held his draftnik "value" in the second round - I don't see any S carrying a first round grade at the moment.

Ouch. Painful memories of Eugene Chung.

On the other hand, I heard that Patrick Chung (OR) looked good yesterday. He and Delmas sound like solid round 2 options.

Ouch. Painful memories of Eugene Chung.

On the other hand, I heard that Patrick Chung (OR) looked good yesterday. He and Delmas sound like solid round 2 options.
Lack of sleep is going to hurt me one of these days...I really miss the naps I got driving to work, retirement has taken that rest away. **sigh**

This is what Rob Rang (who seems to be to usually be pretty on the ball) had to say about the safeties at the Senior Bowl:

"While this year's group of senior linebackers ranks among the stronger crops in recent memory, the best position from top to bottom this week just might be at safety. The race to be the first safety selected in 2009 could come down to workouts, and depending on which scout you talk to, the headliner at the is either Western Michigan's Louis Delmas or Oregon's Patrick Chung -- both of whom were on display in Wednesday morning's North practice.
Delmas has good instincts for the position, is a natural playmaker and flies around the field with reckless abandon. Scouts have some concerns about his ability to flip his hips in coverage, however. Chung's speed, size and instincts make him the most versatile safety in the draft, which has him flying up draft boards.

With the Senior Bowl coaches mandating that only hitting, not tackling, is allowed in practice, neither has been able to show off what they do best -- tackle in space. Despite this restriction, their athleticism shows up, as opposed to that of two other highly-touted safeties.

Missouri's William Moore wasn't the impact player as a senior that he was in 2007, and needed a strong week in Mobile to rescue his falling stock. Unfortunately, quite the opposite has occurred as Moore's limitations continue to be exposed. He was high and stiff in his backpedal Wednesday, inconsistent in his angles to the ball and hasn't caught the ball well all week, which scouts had previously viewed as a strength. Thought of as one of the draft's top defensive prospects entering the year, Moore is in danger of falling out of the draft's first day -- and potentially further -- with his performance so far this week.

Rashad Johnson turned in an All-American season and was as instrumental in Alabama's success as any Tide player. However, his stellar instincts for the position and penchant for the big play belie his marginal speed and explosiveness. I'll never doubt a player with his track record of making plays, but he's smaller and slower than the other safeties here and is viewed by scouts as a bit of a product of Nick Saban's system."

The link is: Maualuga continues to turn heads in loaded senior LB class - CBS News

wasnt he a bust for us at WR in 1995?

If you believe the scouts at the Senior Bowl... it sounds like Chung would be the best prospect just because he has fewer negatives listed, LOL.

The Pats should be able to get their pick of the litter in round 2 though. So 1st rounder is almost a BPA situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye