Will Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Do you want him? How much?
Would you trade up for him? How much would you give.
Would you pick him at 24?

Moore seems to have the body, weight, speed and agility that the Pats love in a safety. He also seems to have the attitude to come up and support the run well and to take on players over the middle. If he's got the leadership ability, I think he'd be a great pick at 24.. I wouldn't trade up for him. There is just too much talent in this draft.

The only safety that the team could consider trading up for would be Taylor Mays, and I would highly doubt that scenario.

I would indeed (be satisfied) if the Patriots decide to take Moore at the 24 slot if he were still available.

I wanted Kenny Phillips in last years draft, but when we lost our pick we lost that chance.

Last edited:
No need to trade up, there's safety prospects behind him that would fit the bill as well. If he's there at 24, he's certainly a good option, and I do consider safety a big need.

Do you want him?

Absolutely.

How much?

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much!

Not in a tradeup from #24 (shouldn't have to). Would move up in the 2nd round if he slid to late 1st or early 2nd. Would give up a #3 and potentially other later picks to do it.

Yep. Not saying that he would be my ideal situation at #24, but wouldn't be upset if that is that way it turned out.

With more than THREE months to go, we're in agreement on a reasonable first round choice. I think that's pretty amazing. A lot will change, and some have other players they might prefer, but it seems we do have one player that should be on all our first round boards.

Just don't get too attached to the pick. He's a possibility, but one out of many. There will be 23 players taken ahead that will alter the equation, Will Moore might be one of those 23, or the Pats may have someone they LIKE BETTER who's available at 24 and pass on Moore, much to the disappoint of those who had him targeted. It seems to happen pretty much every year like this. I think probably the only guys who were identified and picked as 1st round guys by a large number of people here were Wilfork and Warren. Ok and Mayo, but the news on him was leaked late. I don't think many had him pegged early. I definitely wanted Wilfork but I thought he was a pipe dream and would be long gone. So you never know who drops either.

It's been noted that he's one of my #24 prospects, while knowing there are other Safety prospects later on. Which btw, is exactly what BB will consider when making the selection. Are there other options at a particular position later on, or do we fill the need now?

Wouldn't trade up for anyone in round one.

Bad karma, didn't the Pats already had a player named Will Moore....I believed they brought him in to replace Michael Timpson.

Bad karma, didn't the Pats already had a player named Will Moore....I believed they brought him in to replace Michael Timpson.

Will Moore III was a WR who was a UDFA as far as I can find. He joined the Pats in 1995 and played for them for 2 years before going on to Jacksonville.

Moore seems to have the body, weight, speed and agility that the Pats love in a safety. He also seems to have the attitude to come up and support the run well and to take on players over the middle. If he's got the leadership ability, I think he'd be a great pick at 24.. I wouldn't trade up for him. There is just too much talent in this draft.

Exactly what I think as well. I'd be thrilled with Moore at 24, and think that a good FS/SS complement to Meriweather would help out the defense tremendously. However, there's too much talent in this draft to trade up for almost anyone. A lot of first round talent will be available in the second round, and if we trade up at all I'd rather see us trade to get into the top half of the second round. Mays (if he declares) will certainly go higher, and I wouldn't trade up. There are certainly other players whom I would like as much as Moore, such as Brandon Spikes, so it all depends who is available when we pick.

In addition to Moore, I think that Sean Smith from Utah could be an amazing safety if he declares. He's 6'3" 215# with 4.4 speed and has mostly played CB, but would probably convert to safety in the NFL. IF he comes out (which he probably won't), I could see him being available in the second round as well. I think he could end up being in the Mays/Moore class when all is done, though he would probably have a longer development period given the position change. With his size/speed and range, he and Meriweather could be a tremendous duo as well. If we signed any of these players and resigned Sanders (or signed an equivalent type player for reasonable $$ such as Sean Jones from Cleveland) then we would be in good shape at safety for a while.

Watching Baltimore today reinforces more than ever my feeling that we need to develop a more aggressive and disruptive mindset on defense. I don't know if it is Peas, our personnel, or both, but we seem to have played way too soft on defense the past few years compared with 2003-2004 or with the current top defenses like Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Giants. I'd ideally like to see us address CB in FA given the youth we currently have at the position, draft a safety with one of our first day choices to round out the secondary, and then use the other 2 first day picks on aggressive defenders who can put pressure on the passer and cause disruption. Spikes, Connor Barwin, and Greg Hardy are some of my favorites. Aaron Maybin might be an interesting developmental pick given his high upside, but he would probably take 2-3 years to develop.

Exactly what I think as well. I'd be thrilled with Moore at 24, and think that a good FS/SS complement to Meriweather would help out the defense tremendously. However, there's too much talent in this draft to trade up for almost anyone. A lot of first round talent will be available in the second round, and if we trade up at all I'd rather see us trade to get into the top half of the second round. Mays (if he declares) will certainly go higher, and I wouldn't trade up. There are certainly other players whom I would like as much as Moore, such as Brandon Spikes, so it all depends who is available when we pick.

In addition to Moore, I think that Sean Smith from Utah could be an amazing safety if he declares. He's 6'3" 215# with 4.4 speed and has mostly played CB, but would probably convert to safety in the NFL. IF he comes out (which he probably won't), I could see him being available in the second round as well. I think he could end up being in the Mays/Moore class when all is done, though he would probably have a longer development period given the position change. With his size/speed and range, he and Meriweather could be a tremendous duo as well. If we signed any of these players and resigned Sanders (or signed an equivalent type player for reasonable $$ such as Sean Jones from Cleveland) then we would be in good shape at safety for a while.

Watching Baltimore today reinforces more than ever my feeling that we need to develop a more aggressive and disruptive mindset on defense. I don't know if it is Peas, our personnel, or both, but we seem to have played way too soft on defense the past few years compared with 2003-2004 or with the current top defenses like Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Giants. I'd ideally like to see us address CB in FA given the youth we currently have at the position, draft a safety with one of our first day choices to round out the secondary, and then use the other 2 first day picks on aggressive defenders who can put pressure on the passer and cause disruption. Spikes, Connor Barwin, and Greg Hardy are some of my favorites. Aaron Maybin might be an interesting developmental pick given his high upside, but he would probably take 2-3 years to develop.

After watching Mizzu's last 4 games of the season, I do not think we need to trade up for Moore. He should be there at #24. He really struggled in coverage against Oklahoma and Kansas and those teams did a good job of attacking him and exploiting those coverage issues.

After watching Oklahoma run over Spikes like a dead possum in the road, I have more doubts then ever about projecting him in our defense.

Maybin was eaten alive by the USC Oline and I'm not sure where he would project in our defense.

Barwin is interesting and a bit intriguing.

I am not sure Hardy can make the transition to playing with his hand off the ground and his technique is reallyweak.

After watching Mizzu's last 4 games of the season, I do not think we need to trade up for Moore. He should be there at #24. He really struggled in coverage against Oklahoma and Kansas and those teams did a good job of attacking him and exploiting those coverage issues.

After watching Oklahoma run over Spikes like a dead possum in the road, I have more doubts then ever about projecting him in our defense.

Maybin was eaten alive by the USC Oline and I'm not sure where he would project in our defense.

Barwin is interesting and a bit intriguing.

I am not sure Hardy can make the transition to playing with his hand off the ground and his technique is reallyweak.

All valid points - no one's a sure thing. For my money, the surest bet in the draft is Aaron Curry, who will go 10-15+ picks ahead of us, and even then it's not clear how well he would project in the Pats scheme. All of the players I listed have downsides and risks, as do everyone else I can think of. If you have any sure bets, I'd be interested to hear them.

From what I've seen, Spikes shows a willingness to take on blockers, sometimes playing as a DL, and drop into coverage, which makes him attractive as an SILB candidate for the Pats. I didn't see much of the Oklahoma game so I can't speak to how he did against the run, but certainly Oklahoma's high powered offense didn't exactly go wild. Spikes did quite well against Andre Smith in the SEC championship game. He's been a pretty consistent performer over 3 years in the SEC, and has steadilty improved. If I had to bet, I think he will turn out to be at least a solid pro.

Hardy is raw and has injury (foot) and motivational issues. Otherwise he wouldn't conceivably fall to the second round. I believe he got a 3rd round grade from the Draft Board, though most consider him a top-15 talent. He was an unstoppable force in Mississippi's 2 biggest games of the season, against Florida and Alabama. I'm not entirely sure that he can convert to a 3-4 OLB, but I'd give him better odds than I would have given Vernon Gholston a year ago. Best case scenario he could be another Jared Allen or Terrell Suggs type player. Worst scenario he'll be a bust. Again, if he fell to the second round, I think he'd be well worth the gamble.

Maybin is young and undeveloped. The general concensus seems to be that he projects best as a 3-4 OLB. He has the frame to put on weight and has impressive speed off the edge. Could have been a potential top 10 pick if he had stayed but is coming out early. Worst case scenario he'll ruin himself by coming out too soon. Best case scenario he could become a DeMarcus Ware type player with 15-20 lbs. of weight and a few years of patient seasoning. The Pats could use a speed rush situationally without needing them to be a full-time player for a couple of years, which could give him time to develop. Again, by no means risk free, but if he falls to the mid-to-late second round he could be worth the risk. I'm happy taking such a project in the latter half of the second round than taking a conversion project such as Orapko or Brown in the first, who are by no means sure bets in the Pats system either.

Barwin is still learning defense after being a tight end. He has great intelligence and versatility, a very high motor, and good athletic ability. He seems like a perfect Pats-type player, but again, is by no means risk-free.

Moore (to get back to the point of the thread) was considered a potential top 10 pick going into this year, and has struggled with injuries. He is probably playing too heavy at 230#, and would be better off at 215-220#. He seemed to have much better range last year. We certainly should NOT trade up for him. We only have a chance at him at 24 because of his off year. He might even fall to the early second round, in which case I think he WOULD be worth trading up for.

Moore (to get back to the point of the thread) was considered a potential top 10 pick going into this year, and has struggled with injuries. He is probably playing too heavy at 230#, and would be better off at 215-220#. He seemed to have much better range last year. We certainly should NOT trade up for him. We only have a chance at him at 24 because of his off year. He might even fall to the early second round, in which case I think he WOULD be worth trading up for.

If he runs well at 230, then I see no reason for him to drop the weight, however with all the juniors coming out, he may be available when we pick in the second. If he has a great games in an all star game, then maybe he can earn his way back into the first.

Its funny that you mention Sean Smith as I mentioned him earlier as someone who I think the pats could draft to play CB since, from what I've seen, he has the agility to cut with the smaller WRs. He also doesn't seem to be a long strider, so he gets up to speed pretty quickly...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...l-football-post-positional-reviews-page3.html

Last edited:
Its funny that you mention Sean Smith as I mentioned him earlier as someone who I think the pats could draft to play CB since, from what I've seen, he has the agility to cut with the smaller WRs. He also doesn't seem to be a long strider, so he gets up to speed pretty quickly...

Do you think he could play CB at 6'3" 215#? That's even bigger than Scrabble (6'2" 210#) and Antonio Cromartie (6'2" 203#). I had envisioned him more as a FS with exceptional man coverage abilities, but I haven't seen enough of him to tell.

If he does declare, where do you see him going in the draft?

Do you think he could play CB at 6'3" 215#? That's even bigger than Scrabble (6'2" 210#) and Antonio Cromartie (6'2" 203#). I had envisioned him more as a FS with exceptional man coverage abilities, but I haven't seen enough of him to tell.

If he does declare, where do you see him going in the draft?

If Smith declares, he'll be in the 1st 2 rounds more than likely, though I would say he'd be there at the end of the 2nd. As for playing CB, Smith is actually only 5/8 inch taller than Antonie Cromartie. He seems to have very good agility and he doesn't seem to be a long strider, which means he can get to full speed quickly..

Yes, he still has to declare, but he's a red-shirt Junior this year so the likelihood is good that he will.

If Smith declares, he'll be in the 1st 2 rounds more than likely, though I would say he'd be there at the end of the 2nd. As for playing CB, Smith is actually only 5/8 inch taller than Antonie Cromartie. He seems to have very good agility and he doesn't seem to be a long strider, which means he can get to full speed quickly..

Yes, he still has to declare, but he's a red-shirt Junior this year so the likelihood is good that he will.

Sounds good. According to Nfldraftscout he played WR as a freshman for 11 games, which would support your claim regarding his agility and mobility. He sounds like he might be a great early to mid second round pick at either FS or CB. Nfldraftscout lists him as #3 out of 220+ CB candidates (behind Malcolm Jenkins and DJ Moore and ahead of Vontae Davis) but only lists his estimated 40 time at 4.54.

Moore will be gone by the 24th pick. He's a smart ball hawking safety who's got the size and speed to come up and support the run. Mays may be faster, bigger, and stronger and will be picked ahead of Moore, but Moore is a smarter and better football player.

Moore highlights: YouTube - William Moore 2008 Preview

Moore would be outstanding value at #23 (we pick at #23 now after the Eagles win).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes