PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB leave patriots at the end of this year?

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I say he will. There really is no point in his staying, because its likely going to be several years before they can compete for a SB again.
Parcells and Coughlin both stopped coaching and took front office roles with other teams.
Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch. I do not think he is going to break Shula's record coaching this team with no Brady.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave. Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.

Then why didn’t he leave prior to this season? He knew this roster was weak. I seriously doubt he’d want to go out this way and he has plenty of cap room to restock this offseason. I suspect he’s looking forward to the challenge.

No.... absolutely not . Why should he ? He knew there were going to be re building . He still has too much love for the game and that would be a ****ty thing to do .

Shula called him Belicheat. You think he's gonna let that go? Also, 5 more years and he'll be the oldest ever, assuming Pumped and Jacked (1 year older) retires or doesn't get rehired. It's probably why BB won't ever tank.

Shula called him Belicheat. You think he's gonna let that go? Also, 5 more years and he'll be the oldest ever, assuming Pumped and Jacked (1 year older) retires or doesn't get rehired. It's probably why BB won't ever tank.

How many wins to overtake Shula ?

I say he will. There really is no point in his staying, because its likely going to be several years before they can compete for a SB again.
Maybe, maybe not.
The Eagles had back-to-back losing seasons, and one playoff appearance in six years prior to defeating the Pats in the Super Bowl.
The Pats were coming off a 5-11 season with the 25th ranked offense and 22nd ranked defense. then won SB 36.
The team they beat, the Rams, went from 4-12 to winning SB 35 - after losing starting QB Trent Green in preseason game 4 brought **** Verneil to tears.
A few years later those same Rams, now in LA, went from 4-12 in '16, to 11-5 in '17 and 13-3 and the NFC champs in '18.

There are plenty of other examples, but ever since the NFL began a genuine salary cap and free agency, quick turnarounds are common.

Parcells and Coughlin both stopped coaching and took front office roles with other teams.
Those two once worked with BB, but Belichick has never made it a point to follow their path.

Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch.
The man doesn't just love to coach, he lives to coach. If anything this would be extraordinary motivation.

I do not think he is going to break Shula's record coaching this team with no Brady.
We all know that BB is deeply immersed in football history, but at the same time I am not convinced that is the reason he continues to be employed as a head coach. Besides, if he wins just half his games over the next six seasons he is there.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave.
Well yes, if BB wants to leave then a new GM and new HC would indeed be preferable to a vacancy.

The implication I am reading is the first part of the sentence, that
"a new GM and new coach could also benefit the Patriots at this point"

How can that assessment be made, without knowing who the next head coach is?
Are we saying now that anybody would be better than Belichick?
The only HC/team that could make that statement was the Browns after Hue Jackson went 1-31 in his first two seasons, and then decided that Tyrod Taylor should be the starting quarterback over Baker Mayfield.

Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.
Hey, we agree on something!

I think his ego is too big to leave now. A season after brady, missing the playoffs. He wants to prove he can win without him. Brady is currently proving he can win without bill.

Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch. I do not think he is going to break Shula's record coaching this team with no Brady.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave. Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.

Yes I feel like this is his last year here....he knows it’s going to take many years to revive this franchise (same thing happens to all dynasties...look at SF, Cowboys) and he’s not getting any younger ....time to retire and go fishing!

I don’t think he will. He’ll try to right the ship and get it back on course the next few years before moving to the front office.

I don't expect him to go anywhere.

For one, I don't think he hates this team as much as some people on this forum. They're not winning, but they're competitive and have heart. I'd wager he likes this team better than the 2009 team, and those were much darker days than even this. That team gave up. This team has a bit more in common with the 2000 team.

If he does decide to retire, it's going to be a long road for this organization. A lot of people here were ready to run TFB and Gostkowski out of town and that's turned out swimmingly (though Folk is starting to show some consistency). Getting rid of BB won't be any better.

Not sure why so many are anxious to turn into the Lions; seeking coaches, first draft day QBs, and direction for decades on end.

I cant imagine BB leaving until at least the team has been turned around and set up for the future , be it 1 year or 3

He will not walk away this year or in the near future.

He will right this ship and restore it to its winning ways.. SB maybe. It is not as much about his legacy, it is more about who he is.. with a lot of Cap $$$ next year he will make some significant additions..

From where I sit, some of the decisions by position coaches and the OC seem suspect.. how can this improved D backfield seem to have regressed so significantly??

He will not walk away this year or in the near future.

He will right this ship and restore it to its winning ways.. SB maybe. It is not as much about his legacy, it is more about who he is.. with a lot of Cap $$$ next year he will make some significant additions..

From where I sit, some of the decisions by position coaches and the OC seem suspect.. how can this improved D backfield seem to have regressed so significantly??

I agree. He's not walking away.

Two things about the defense:

1. They're young and are learning. Remember the communication issues they had when Gilmore first arrived? They'll get better imo.

2. They were incapable of generating enough pressure up front allowing Watson to buy time with his mobility and pick the secondary apart.

The Texan's Oline and Watson played a great game despite all of their injuries. Tough to stop a QB who is throwing dimes on the run.

Games are won or lost in the trenches and the Pats lost on both sides of the ball.

BB has often talked about how he enjoys all parts of coaching / of the season. I mean, if someone enjoys jet setting to all these campuses to see prospects, slog through the combine, fight the midsummer heat, coach preseason game 4... you know he loves it.

I would lose a lot of respect for Bill if he decide to leave after this year. He put us in this situation now he need to get us out of it or at least try. I wouldn’t like Bill bailing on us. It’s too easy.

I would lose a lot of respect for Bill if he decide to leave after this year. He put us in this situation now he need to get us out of it or at least try. I wouldn’t like Bill bailing on us. It’s too easy.
Don’t worry. He’s not going anywhere, unless the Giants offer him Gettelman’s job and even then . . .

He’s coaching here at least three more years, possibly five.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back