Replies:
Asking for your support

Will there be a new OC in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 57 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 18.6%

• Total voters
I think the only way is if the Kraft's force the change and if that happens who knows how Bill reacts.

No matter how it shakes out, it'll be talked about a lot by everyone from staffers to players to media to fans.
Easy enough to spin:

"What's best for the team. Having Patricia guide the D coaches and handle more of the advanced scouting efforts gives us more value for effort. With the quality players we have on special teams we feel that Judge can elevate them to elite status - which can be a game-changer considering the hidden yardage and field position gains. Again, a big plus for the team."

Easy enough to spin:

"What's best for the team. Having Patricia guide the D coaches and handle more of the advanced scouting efforts gives us more value for effort. With the quality players we have on special teams we feel that Judge can elevate them to elite status - which can be a game-changer considering the hidden yardage and field position gains. Again, a big plus for the team."
Could be. I was just pointing out that whatever happens, it ain't going over "quietly" in any shape, way, or form.

We all know BB is incredibly stubborn. However, he also continually preaches doing what's best for the team. Clearly with a team bordering on dysfunctionality, the "Hail Moron", the worst RZ offence in the league do you think he will swallow his pride and change OC? I've no problem with Patricia being moved somewhere else, but I almost can't comprehend the possibility that next season see's him still calling offensive plays.
Do what's best for the team?

Then why didn't he step in and reverse the changes that weren't working in camp, the pre-season, or the beginning of the season?

Top coaches, and successful executives everywhere, step in and help when a part of the company is in trouble, as the Offense clearly was from the day Josh left. How could not hiring an OL coach be best for the team. At very least, Belichick should have removed Patricia from the role of OL coach as early as the pre-season, and certainly after a few games.

If Belichick has absolute faith in Patricia and Judge and was going to allow them full rein with no interference, the least he could have done was allow Patricia to concentrate on the Offense, without also having to coach the OL.

BOTTOM LINE
The OL plan has to be considered an enormous failure of Patricia.
Allowing the plan to continue, without interference, is an enormous failure of Belichick.

It is not obvious to me, having watched all the decisions Kraft has made since acquiring the team.

It'd have been unthinkable just a few years ago but it's certainly a strong possibility now. I understand we have Groh in his current position (and whatever it is Wolf does) because Kraft interceded. Not a stretch to think he can extend that to coaching.

I think they’ll bring in a “new” OC/QB coach (who has a good chance of being an old OC/QB coach), keeping Patricia and Judge on offense but with a different lead voice.

To be even more specific (and therefore likely more wrong), my guess is Judge is with the TEs next year after Caley leaves to be a WR coach elsewhere. Even more so than what happened with the Patriots, I think it was probably hard for five-year TE coach Caley to be passed over by McDaniels in favor of two-year WR coach Mick Lombardi. If he sees a WR coach as the next step, I’m not sure that will happen in NE with Troy Brown currently there.

If there is an OC search, the new expanded Rooney Rule will make things interesting in that they have to interview multiple external candidates (minorities specifically, but even just “multiple” and “external” are big changes). They can’t just interview one person and then hire him anymore. We’ve never really gotten any info from the Patriots about who is considered for these jobs but then not selected.

Bill no longer gets to call his shot.
Unless Kraft is removing Belichick as head coach (and GM), Belichick will hire coordinators and other coaches.

Patricia will quietly be moved to a new role either in the front office or defense. And judge hopefully back to special teams.

Kraft said before season he didn't agree with how bill handled the coaching season but he "afforded the opportunity" to prove him wrong.

Well the results show Bill was wrong and not hiring a real OC was a huge disaster. I see no way he can go to Kraft and say "I'm running this back."
I strongly disagree with Patricia having any role on the team in 2023. He failed, costing us a season. He should be fired.

And no, he shouldn't be given the Defense as a reward for failure. Besides, Belichick has all that he wants as far as leadership on the Defense: his sons and Vrabel. If anything, Belichick will promote one of them to Defensive Coordinator.

Unless Kraft is removing Belichick as head coach (and GM), Belichick will hire coordinators and other coaches.

Does Bill really sound particularly enthused to be introspective regarding his failings and the failings of his friends/family?

Does Bill really sound particularly enthused to be introspective regarding his failings and the failings of his friends/family?
I need to be clear.

As long as Kraft is head coach, he will make the decisions with regard to hiring coordinators and other coaches.

I didn't mean to suggest that Belichick WILL make significant changes. I don't think that he will.

It is clear that what is needed is to turn over the Offense to an OC who would be able to hire his own staff, and be free from interference, as Patricia was. IMO, that should be done the day after we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

The problem lies in who Bill could bring in? O’Brien would be considered friends and family. But what if O’Brien stays at Alabama? Bill’s well has run dry. There’s a reason the coaching staff has gotten smaller over the years. Bill’s only option is to hire outside and gawd forbid someone brings new ideas to the offense.

If I were Kraft, I’d tell not ask Bill to get rid of the bad seeds in Patricia and Judge for starters.

The most importang thing for the coaching staff in 2023 is to get a qb o-line and OC from outside the organization with no fecking history in our offense the last 5 years
Its time to bring in new ideas ,way of coaching, play designs, game plans etc
Patricia should not receive any role besides some strategic advise but I wold not give him any role at all
Judge can coach special teams or he needs to be released asap, just not good enough to coach any offense or defense position
I am not the biggest fan of the idea bringing back BOB, I don’t have any othe names in mind but maybe kraft can convince someone like an other OC with the Long term plan of giving him the reigns after BB retires like kellen moore , the chiefs OC, frank Reich ..

yes, if Kliff Kingsbury gets axed in Arizona, Belichick will bring him on staff because Arizona will still be paying Kingsbury....it's a large reason why Patricia and Judge are on Coach Bill's staff....if the price is right, or your a relative or friend of Bill, you're all set...

The only offensive assistant whose position has lived up to or exceeded expectations has been Sunseri.

The only offensive assistant whose position has lived up to or exceeded expectations has been Sunseri.
Yep I said that in another thread every other Offensive Assistant should be fired and replaced with real Coaches.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back