PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

Ty Montgomery sucks.
Been waiting for the Captain's scouting report on Montgomery
And Captain's report is solid. If he takes away touches from Harris, Rham or even Strong, it's really a shame. During his time in GB, they had a pathetic ground game and he couldn't play WR, so they forced him at RB. He had very little to no impact.

Last edited:
He’s been playing very well in camp and also has return experience. I don’t think he is going to suck but we will see.
In Bill (et al.) I'll trust, and I know how we like our Swiss Army Knives.... but I think we have depth past the number that fit on our roster at both WR and RB. I wouldn't state it as baldly as @TheRainMaker after just one game for the rooks (Strong included). I think it's key to wait until all the injuries of preseason have happened, as they will.

(From here on in, insane "what if" talk, to make a point)
Also trades can make room -- for all we know they go crazy and decapitate the roster, get trade value, and go one or two "known" vets deep at WR and RB, and open up max competition. But that would be stupid if you ax me, because our "known quantities" at WR are solid 2s, and our RBs, taken together, are always among the best in the league. Of course, they COULD decide that's a given, and make roster spots early.

All of that is extremely unlikely woolgathering I only throw out there because I never know wtf they'll actually DO. I do know I can read box scores and fantasy football webpages and draft guides and it's not helpful. I don't think Montgomery is affirmatively good anywhere.

I wouldn't state it as baldly as @TheRainMaker after just one game for the rooks (Strong included). I think it's key to wait until all the injuries of preseason have happened, as they will.
Harris, Rham, Strong, Harris should be the main backs. JJ Taylor and Montgomery should be the ones fighting for a spot.

And Captain's report is solid. If he takes away touches from Harris, Rham or even Strong, it's really a shame. During his time in GB, they had a pathetic ground game and he couldn't play WR, so they forced him at RB. He had very little to no impact.
Stop listening to your Mom

I have to admit I haven’t seen him play any games with the Patriots
And you want to? You want a journeyman RB who hasn't done jack in years to take touches away from Harris, Rham or even Strong?

Slow Motion Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Harris, Rham, Strong, Harris should be the main backs. JJ Taylor and Montgomery should be the ones fighting for a spot.
I hot-take agree with the hot take, just disagree with the level of certainty. You'll probably end up in synch w/what the Pats do (in other words, it sure does look like the right read of the situation). If you're not though, it's a matter of trying to be done with evaluation and any injuries and trades before game 1.

That includes the possibility that we're wrong on Montgomery. For all you know, we're the guys scratching their heads about giving Miami a 2 and a 7 for a decent receiver and good returner... named Wes Welker. I'm okay with the possibility he belongs if the Pats go that way. I don't see it either.

But would Montgomery only be there as RB4 (and special teams) after Rham , D,Harris and possibly Strong if he has a good couple of weeks

Ty Montgomery sucks.
Can we actually watch him play in a game before we make these comments? I know that's asking a lot , but let's see how he does in a game situation. From all reports, he has been very impressive during camp...but then again, what does Reiss, Lazar, Cox and Kyed know.

Last edited:
Montgomery hasn't done *that* much in his career. When we signed him, I was underwhelmed. When camp started, I left him off my initial 53 projection.

As soon as camp started, all of that went out the window. I fully expect him to at least do what Bolden did last year. I buy the talk that he's just fitting in really well here and wouldn't be surprised if he had a "career year" (in quotes because it probably won't be that impressive).

Of course, the ideal scenario is we find at least one back who can be a threat in any situation (Stevenson?) rather than telegraphing the play call with what RB is on the field. But that doesn't seem to be the reality yet.

Given Nixon's underwhelming size he needs to be extraordinary elsewhere (route running, hands, toughness)... I don't see it. I'll take Wilkerson over Nixon if I'm just choosing between the two. Lil'Jordan Humphrey is intriguing because of his size and he's got a little bit of NFL experience. With the additions of Parker and Thornton, there's probably going to be just one spot left on the WR depth chart.

Nixon will get the spot IMO because he plays all the ST's big deal for the #5,6 WR

Nixon will get the spot IMO because he plays all the ST's big deal for the #5,6 WR

Has there been a breakdown of STs snaps from Thursday night between Nixon & Wilkerson?

EDIT: Nevermind... Just read that each of them played 10 snaps on STs, 36%.

Last edited:
So many initially had Parker and Bourne as WR1 and WR2. Both seemed to have vanished of late - virtually no targets or catches in recent practices. Suppose it might just reflect their current installations.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back