PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

As long as Jakobi Meyers is not 1 or 2 on the depth chart we'll be fine. I'm good with Parker - Bourne - Agholor and Thornton or Parker - Agholor -Bourne and Thornton.:cool: See in both cases Thornton is very good #4 and Meyers is an excellent #5. :)
Parker - Bourne - Agholor - Meyers is a good core receiving corps. They’ll be our top four, barring injury or some major training camp changes. Thornton is a rookie, has yet to take his first snap in an NFL game. Way to early to say he’s good, very good, a bust or a star. He’s also got Nixon, Wilkerson, Montgomery, and Slater competing with him for WR snaps.

Parker is already off to the start I wanted so it will push Meyers down the totem poll.

Parker's injury concerns may limit him from being a high volume receiver. It would be wise to keep several WRs on stand by or to limit his snaps (3rd down, red-zone, goal-line, 2 minute offense). Rotating Agholor, Parker & Thornton (when ready) may be required. Meyers and Bourne are steady and productive despite not being #1s.

So, the season is a failure if Agholor is one of our top 3 WR's?
I've already written him off. I doubt we're going to see Vegas numbers from Agholor. But at least his money should be off the books by next year so we can spend money on an actual GOOD free agent.

BB's 2021 spending spree had consequences. Yes he hit on Hunter Henry and Matt Judon. But Agholor, Jonnu Smith, Jalen Mills, look like shaky signings at the moment. The money all those new free agents took up on the cap essentially forced BB's hand to trade away a pretty good OL in Shaq Mason, and then 'forced' his hand to use a 1st round pick on an OG prospect, Cole Strange, to replace him in this year's draft. The Patriots' cap issues? Those are of BB's own making.

I've already written him off. I doubt we're going to see Vegas numbers from Agholor. But at least his money should be off the books by next year so we can spend money on an actual GOOD free agent.

BB's 2021 spending spree had consequences. Yes he hit on Hunter Henry and Matt Judon. But Agholor, Jonnu Smith, Jalen Mills, look like shaky signings at the moment. The money all those new free agents took up on the cap essentially forced BB's hand to trade away a pretty good OL in Shaq Mason, and then 'forced' his hand to use a 1st round pick on an OG prospect, Cole Strange, to replace him in this year's draft. The Patriots' cap issues? Those are of BB's own making.

Jalen Mills was a good value signing.

Yes BB is responsible for the cap.

I would like to see them trade Meyers, or let him walk. He’s a great story and a likable player but I would rather keep Nixon for his upside. I want them to keep getting younger and faster, and while Meyers isn’t old by any stretch I think Nixon has the higher ceiling.

It‘s not that I don’t love Meyers, I just love Bourne more. I should’ve had him at the top of the list. I put Parker there based on the unofficial depth chart on patriots.com. They actually have two parallel WR positions, I assume one for each side of the O. Take a look for yourself, link below.

Parker was top on the first one, Bourne was top of the other one. I also gave Parker the benefit of the doubt not having seen how he will do in the Pats’ system. Bourne certainly did better in his first year here than he had previously. If Parker does the same that will be pretty good. Of course Bourne is likely to continue to improve as well.

Agholor was next on one, Meyers next on the other and I like Meyers a bit more than Agholor. I just think he already is what he is, in other words I see less upside for him than I do for Bourne, and perhaps Parker. Honestly I think all of the top three have potential to better than we’ve yet seen. Only reason I’m not saying that about Agholor is lingering disappointment from last year.

After those four Ty and Tre are a tossup. I’d like to see Wilkerson show something too, but there’s a crowd of talent ahead of him.

I’m very optimistic about the weapons Mac will have at his disposal this season. Throw in Jonnu improving, Asiasi or Keene perhaps finally showing up, even Harry maybe converting to TE, and the deep list of RBs. Can’t wait to see them all in camp!

New England Patriots Unofficial Depth Chart

Yep. First of all Bourne is a much better player than Meyers is, and I would rather see them keep Nixon than Meyers. I hope Meyers finds a good home somewhere else, but I would go for the upside.

3 days into camp and the media is already talking about Meyers being the “odd man out”. He may get the Reche Caldwell treatment.

Only one of these statements is true.
The 2021 Patriot’s defense gave up the 2nd fewest passing yards, 4th fewest passing TD’s, the 2nd lowest completion percentage, the 2nd lowest opposing QB Rating and had the 2nd most INT’s in the entire NFL.

You obviously don’t know what’s true and what’s not.

3 days into camp and the media is already talking about Meyers being the “odd man out”. He may get the Reche Caldwell treatment.
Turning an UDFA into a draft pick is free money. They could also get a late pick for Agholor from another WR needy team.

Pray for Thornton and Nixon’s success and health everywhere else in the WR room.

Agholor’s problems last year were: a) he was our #1 but he’s really a #2; b) Mac didn’t see him multiple times when he was open deep. The safest bet in Vegas is that he’s gonna have a good season this year.

Mills is more than adequate, and Jonnu was very bad last year but there’s every reason to think he’ll be much better this year. Each of these 3 guys will be worth their salary this year, and BB seems very confident in Strange as well.

It’s a a new year and time to let last year’s feelings about free agent signings go. They’ll all pan out well.

I thought it interesting that it was reported that the pats were working with Parker on soft tissue injury avoidance. Dare I say the term 'pliability' was used.

Botton line: no one will disagree that when healthy Parker has excellent production. Maybe the pats will unlock the way to keep him on the field.

I thought it interesting that it was reported that the pats were working with Parker on soft tissue injury avoidance. Dare I say the term 'pliability' was used.

Botton line: no one will disagree that when healthy Parker has excellent production. Maybe the pats will unlock the way to keep him on the field.

Were the proliferation of soft tissue injuries, the result of bad luck or less than an ideal training routine?

I'm all for keeping Parker on the field. He has looked very good early on in training camp. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Parker is going to have a massive year if he can stay healthy and become Mac Jones #1 target.

Were the proliferation of soft tissue injuries, the result of bad luck or less than an ideal training routine?
Lots of inference in this reply....but my guess is that when you have a history of soft tissue injuries like Hamstrings, calf pulls, etc a player and their team SHOULD look closely at their preparation, like how they stretch, warm up, etc. So it was reported that Parker has changed how he is preparing for this season. It was mentioned that there was more running involved, more stretching and "pliability" work as well. Will it help, we can only hope so. It makes sense and Parker seems like he has bought in.

Lots of inference in this reply....but my guess is that when you have a history of soft tissue injuries like Hamstrings, calf pulls, etc a player and their team SHOULD look closely at their preparation, like how they stretch, warm up, etc. So it was reported that Parker has changed how he is preparing for this season. It was mentioned that there was more running involved, more stretching and "pliability" work as well. Will it help, we can only hope so. It makes sense and Parker seems like he has bought in.

It would be great it the change works out.

Let’s hope the routine change does not lead to ligament or tendon injuries.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back