PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wickersham book discussion

I have no problem with that at the beginning of the game but what do you have to lose playing unprepared Butler when the players that are prepared to play are getting demolished? IMO, nothing. At least, you can say you have tried everything to win the game.

If Butler was that unprepared during the week leading up to the SB why was he active?You are gonna tell me Bill decided less than 90 minutes before the game that he was unprepared?

Yep. He still wasn't 100%. They gave him the last possible opportunity to get dialed in and it just didn't happen. It was too late to bring someone from the PS. As I said earlier the coaching staff didn't think he was ready to play.

I know fans hate that answer but it's what happened.

They want to believe that BB, the coach who will do anything to win, who puts winning above all else would bench a player out of spite or whatever and lose a game he could have won, doesn't pass the smell test with me. Something more is there we probably won't ever know.
Not out of spite but out of discipline. I am one of the biggest team BB out there but I was infuriated with him for the Welker benching for part of a playoff game for making a foot joke. Discipline is his culture.

While this is creating a whole lot of sensationalism, sportstalk airtime and articles for the NY Post.. when is the last time a book was written about the Washington Football Team or Jacksonville Jaguars??..

When you are at the top for a long period, anyone and everyone wants to take "pot shots".... I have an issue with anonymous sources who provide anecdotal information.

P
Yep. He still wasn't 100%. They gave him the last possible opportunity to get dialed in and it just didn't happen. It was too late to bring someone from the PS. As I said earlier the coaching staff didn't think he was ready to play.

I know fans hate that answer but it's what happened.
But he was good enough to play a few special teams snaps?

P

But he was good enough to play a few special teams snaps?
You're not going to convince the Dude. He's convinced that what Bill said is what happened despite all evidence to the contrary. That's fine.

Somehow the rest of us are supposed to believe that Rowe who took 261 snaps during the season & was rated #188 out of 209 corners was a better option than the guy that took 1,038 snaps and was rated #48! This was the result of this decision by the Greatest Defensive mind in football:

SmartSelect_20210930-074608_Firefox.jpg

Dude also ignores Malcolm telling Reiss (Patriots waterboy) "I don't know what it was...But I could've changed that game." Doesn't sound like a guy admitting he wasn't prepared despite what he said later, taken out of context, and after he was obviously coached.

Worse part is we now have "new" information that Malcolm was demoted because of an altercation with Patricia, what I've been saying all along, albeit Lil Steve.

I'm still pissed about that game. Losing to fv&king Nick Foles is worse than to Eli. It's like losing to Joe Flacco. Pathetic.

What I don’t know is any of the context behind any of these things, and I don’t trust a sensationalizing writer to fill in the gaps. Example, is Kraft just pissed about something and joking around when he light heartedly calls Belichick an *******. Is he busting balls? Is he saying it as though he’s confessing his deepest secret, dead serious?
I read somewhere, maybe in one of Michael Holley's books, that one of Bill's "terms of endearment" was eff'n a-hole. He used the term to describe someone doing well in film review: "Look at this f*ckin azzhole" when a player was excelling on film. This quote could be taken our of context to be sure.

The Butler revelation is disappointing. They decided it was a good idea to bring back the coach that played zone against noodle arm Manning & spot them a quick 7 points in a low scoring game.

Patricia failed as a HC & underperformed as a DC. He lacks accountability (saying he was responsible for the Butler INT as the Lions HC is hilarious) & can’t coach a defense. But since he kisses BB’s ass he’s hired right back.

These are the things that will turn the fanbase against Bill. Also, you can’t be in a rebuild yet play Brandon Bolden over JJ Taylor (you know, the successor to James White), Bower over Uche, etc.

I’m tired like many over this game already but it is a turning point for this post Brady era. Does the team nut up & show any improvements on offense in a close game or roll over on their way to 1-3?

Reminder.

Hightower came back voluntarily.

DMC has been here since dirt was invented.

It's been 3 games.

Fans sure are quick to call the dog dead around here ..
Hightower came back for $12 million. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we see of him and while he has been a great player here I think it is time. Bill needs to transition the linebacking core to smaller faster guys and not these big lumbering guys. We have added some speed on the edges with Judon and Uche but the middle is still slow as molasses.

I’m tired like many over this game already but it is a turning point for this post Brady era. Does the team nut up & show any improvements on offense in a close game or roll over on their way to 1-3?
That's really the story line as far as I am concerned. All the Bill vs Tom horsechit is just that. Bill doesn't make plays. I do want to see what Bill dials up to try and mess with Brady, but in the end, does the team have the ability to hang or not.

Mangini was just asked to comment about incident in Wickersham's book and he wouldn't comment. More telling is he didn't deny it. I don't think it's a big deal either way but it goes to veracity of these accounts.

So the meaty reveals in this book are that Bill is an ill tempered curmudgeon, Tom is a little defensive, and Bob likes to occasionally thump his chest? I think I'll pass and wait for Carrot Top, The Later Years to drop.

You’re a 100% right. On this board there were many, many posters saying the Bucs O-Line was trash and Brady would get killed. They said the secondary sucked, the coaching sucked.....It’s complete revisionist history to say the Bucs were some loaded juggernaut that everyone thought would win the Super Bowl. In the NFC they were well behind the Saints, Packers, Seahawks, 49ers....

The Bucs' whole roster changed when they drafted a top10 RT in Wirfs and a top15 free safety in Winfield. And that kid Sean Murphy Bunting morphed into Richard Sherman in the playoffs.

The Bucs were 5-5 at one point then went on a run. Took time to get it together.

Yea all the drama about Bob-Bill-Tom is a nothing burger for me. It's simply amazing these three men, or any 3 men for that matter, lasted 20 years together in a competitive, pressure filled environment. Just the fact Tom never tried free agency, as he watched other QBs signing ridiculous deals, is mind blowing.

The only thing that bothers me is the Butler tidbit, because to me, that cost us #7!

P.S. Also, whoever buys the book, let me know if it was in fact Bill who drove Bob to the Jupiter whore house.

Hightower came back for $12 million. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we see of him and while he has been a great player here I think it is time. Bill needs to transition the linebacking core to smaller faster guys and not these big lumbering guys. We have added some speed on the edges with Judon and Uche but the middle is still slow as molasses.
Bentley has improved but I agree. We need more speed.

High could have asked for his release or retired. It's not like hes chasing his 1st big deal. If he wanted to shoot his way out of town he would have pulled a Gronk.

Bentley has improved but I agree. We need more speed.

High could have asked for his release or retired. It's not like hes chasing his 1st big deal. If he wanted to shoot his way out of town he would have pulled a Gronk.
I think this role is good for Bentley's skillset. Last year when he was pretty much the only LB we had he looked terrible but he has looked good this year. I am hoping he plays Sunday as he didn't play the second half against the Saints and was limited in practice with a shoulder injury.

Bill Walsh only Head Coached for 10 years and won 3 Superbowls. That's 30% of the time he coached he won a Superbowl.

Bill Walsh also set that 49ers team up for 2 more Superbowls, since he got them Steve Young.

So if Walsh didn't retire he absolutely would have won 5 in 14 years.

Bill in 27 years as a HC won 6. That's a 22% rate.
Before Salary Cap
BB as GM had to field a team where best players left after winning rings to "get paid"
Walsh also had Montanna

Malcolm Butler was benched because of fat Patricia. Ugh it disgusts me that that clown is a part of the organization again.

if that part is true that just makes all the more frustrating. i always assumed it was bb’s error which is somewhat forgivable for all hes done. Patricia? f*** man

It’s fine to give Bill a few years, but there’s no way the Bucs were stacked. The Patriots were favored to win more games on the day Brady went to Tampa.

Morons favored that. I spend winters in Tamper and thought the team pre-Brady was loaded with early draft picks talent but suffered a poor QB with a mediocre at best coaching staff. This Brady fan thought they'd be a playoff team with Brady and was depressed with the Bucs slow start in 2020.
Never thought the Pats would make the playoffs in 2020 even before Cam showed his true inabilities.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back