PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wickersham and others drop numerous bombshells on Belichick/Brady relationship

Two things which blow Wickersham out of the water on his previous scoop.

1. He said Belichick was trying to have Garoppolo succeed Brady.

Yet the 49ers GM Lynch is 2x on the record as saying he pushed for a trade of Brady and/or Garoppolo in the Spring of 2017 prior to Brady's last season, and again in October, AFTER the whole negotiation with Kraft/Brady/Belichick became a problem. Wickersham said it all went down in October of 2017. Lynch is on record as talking to Belichick in the spring of 2017. Even more interesting, Belichick never called Lynch to peddle Garoppolo to him. Instead, Lynch called Belichick in late October. The phone call ended with no offer of Garoppolo. Instead, Belichick called Lynch back later and only THEN offered Garoppolo. It was an afterthought.

2. Wickersham doesn't bother to ask Brady Sr. why Tom Brady was on Steven Ross's boat while he was still under contract with the Patriots. Clearly, Brady wanted to leave the Patriots for the Dolphins. How else can the person who started the thread interpret that? He won't even address it. Brady is lucky that Flores saved him from ruining his legacy in New England like Clemens did.
My recollection of the Brady enquiries was that Belichick laughed at the idea.

What the ... Isn't this Bradyvs.Belichick.com?

Let It Go Relax GIF by Peloton

Wickersham strikes me as such a ****ing wet blanket weasel.

“In two decades, a franchise was at or near the top more often than not…the three primary men (4 of you give JK a seat) didn’t always like each other, jockeyed for power, and took turns acting childishly while seeking their share of credit, and desiring to deflect blame”.

That could have been the article.

Truly earth-shattering news!!!

It was time all around.

NOW the real story is did the Krafts screw up by tabbing Mayo without a real search, and what will the final years of BB’s career bring?

Omce we have those answers, the final chapter will be clear to read.

I love the winning. Honestly doesn’t matter much if all 53 hate each other, the coaches hate each other, and the owner hates everyone in the country.

Winning is awesome, losing isn’t. So glad I got to see decades of winning.

Umm that baseball bat anecdote is alarming

Over the years, those in Kraft's orbit have heard the owner "put down Belichick at every opportunity," a source close to Kraft said. This game was no different. Kraft's open mocking of Belichick -- a common line was "the great, intelligent man" -- was the worst-kept secret in New England. Although he denied saying it through a team spokesperson, Kraft used that line too many times to too many people for it to remain a secret.

Not going to get into the meta drama and gossip, other than to say that it does seem to me that the pressure of the way Brady left and performed thereafter probably put a ton of stress on everything in that organization, particularly with the Boston media feeding it nonstop and the fanbase turning into dueling political parties.
It was a mistake to let Brady retire ANYWHERRE but here - one that ultimately falls on Kraft, in my opinion. He could have said no to any "year too early instead of a year too late" situation, if that's even what happened. He could have told Bill that Tom stayed until he proved he couldn't play anymore, even if it cost them a season, and however much money it cost Kraft, Brady had more than earned it.

Or all of this is rank speculation and Brady just decided he wasn't going to win here, but could elsewhere.

I don't know, and neither does anyone outside a very select group of people, and WickerSHAM ain't one of them. Anything he's getting now, if anything at all, is flavored in VYA sauce.

Can we make this the last thread on this forevah and evah?
I mean, Brady showed up on Ross's boat right after he Super Bowl. The guy was gone. He signed his deal which removed the franchise tag. He was out the door--there was nothing stopping him

The documentary coming out will shed a lot of light. Apparently it's going to recall what happened in the end from the top 3 Owner/Coach/QB
It wont add the last 2 yrs though. its based on the book

“In two decades, a franchise was at or near the top more often than not…the three primary men (4 of you give JK a seat) didn’t always like each other, jockeyed for power, and took turns acting childishly while seeking their share of credit, and desiring to deflect blame”.

This sums it up nicely.

Is Kraft a dimwit?

Does he not know how this is going to backfire in the Patriots' face?

No matter if it's true, Belichick is going to spend money like a drunken sailor wherever he goes, and he's going to let it be know far and wide that this is what he was prevented from doing in New England. Players will know Foxboro is the place to go if you DON'T want to get paid.

I see this coming from a mile away. And with this hit piece, Kraft will absolutely deserve it.

Is Kraft a dimwit?

No matter if it's true, Belichick is going to spend money like a drunken sailor wherever he goes, and he's going to let it be know far and wide that this is what he was prevented from doing in New England. Players will know Foxboro is the place to go if you DON'T want to get paid.

I see this coming from a mile away. And with this hit piece, Kraft will absolutely deserve it.
It only backfires if you believe anything WickerSHAM has to say.

Wickersham should go write a 50 shades of Belichick novel and shut the **** up. Another coward with no sources piece.
Oh, he's got one source. Maybe two. They share the same last name.

I mean let’s be honest…haven’t we all known this for years. It’s not like this article is “breaking news”. :maybenot:

This is just a recast “hit piece” by a reporter with an agenda against BB…conveniently published now that he’s out the door.

I believe that it was time for Bill to go, the signs were there, but this is scummy journalism at its worst.

Go ahead, Ahmed, ignore the timeline here that proves Wickersham and you wrong.

I know you want to put it out of your mind that Brady was making moves to join our archrival a year before his contract with the Patriots ended, but it happened.

I am not ignoring the time-line at all. It fits quite nicely.

2014 - Belichick drafts Garropolo as the succession plan. He wanted to trade Brady as he gets into mid 30ths. This article and many others have discussed this to death. Bill's plan was probably trade Brady in 2015 or 16 after Garropolo gets up to speed. By then Brady would be mid 30s.

2015 - We win SB #4. Trade plan is now on hold as you can't really trade someone who just had such a year.

15-17: Brady plays lights out and wins another SB. Brady is now untradeable and Garropolo's contract is coming due. This is when Bill could not entertain Brady trades with 49ers.

19: Brady wins another SB. That offseason (summer 19) Brady approachs Bill asking for a long term contract. Bill does not budge and Kradt supports Bill.

It is at this summer of 2019 that Brady gets his contract changed to ensure free agency. All parties at this point knew Brady was done next summer.

After that and only then did Brady approach Dolphins. I would not at all be surprised if next week or next year or whenever, it comes out that Bill started reaching out to potential teams way before this Wednesday or even last game. It is normal business practice to set one's self up for next job when you know current one is about to be done.

Is Kraft a dimwit?

Again, you still think that Kraft didn't want to spend and he hamstrung Belichick. You don't know that. Belichick may have been the one who was against spending. Even years where they did spend, Belichick always seemed to go for the bargain players and not the top players.

Belichick, if has GM responsibilities, might spend like crazy to make it looked like Kraft hamstrung him, but that may not be the case.

But I expect Kraft to spend this offseason to show the fans he is committed to winning and to probably show it was Belichick who wasn’t willing to spend. And the Patriots have more money than virtually anyone else.

And it is far too early to say this will blow up in Kraft’s face. It could work out better than if they kept Belichick.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back