PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Ebner on the field with the game on the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I know it's already been almost a week but I was just watching Comcast sports and they were talking about this and it got me thinking. Why wasn't Tavon Wilson or Sterling moore out there? There were other more experienced players to put back there, yet Nate Ebner was playing Safety when the game was on the line. Russel Wilson made a good throw but Ebner and Arrington still got burned. Mods, please merge this thread if this has already been discussed somewhere on here.

I believe Wilson was the Corner who got punked by Rice..Ebner was simply in there because there was no one left.

Not only is talent or lack of,a major issue in the secondary,it's depth as well

Last edited:
I believe Wilson was the Corner who got punked by Rice..Ebner was simply in there because there was no one left.

Oh, was it Wilson that got burned? I was thinking it was Arrington. Thanks for the clarification. Still amazing that after all those high round draft picks we have Nate Ebner on the field late in a close game.

Wilson & Ebner were the safeties.

It was cover 2, most of the team bit on the play fake - including Wilson who couldn't recover in time and Rice went right by him, Ebner looked to be playing textbook zone coverage on the other side and then left his zone broke towards Rice when the ball was in the air in an attempt to try make a play.

Last edited:
Wilson & Ebner were the safeties.

It was cover 2, most of the team bit on the play fake - including Wilson who couldn't recover in time and Rice went right by him, Ebner looked to be playing textbook zone coverage on the other side and then left his zone broke towards Rice when the ball was in the air in an attempt to try make a play.

A cover 3 defense probably would have prevented that TD.

A cover 3 defense probably would have prevented that TD.

Spikes, the defensive line and Wilson not biting on the play fake would have prevented the TD.

Cover 3 would have had the same result because the players still fell for the play action at a time no team would run the ball, poor game awareness by a number of players.

:eek: I have no words for this thread

While Wilson was the one that got burned, it was a bit problematic that Ebner was in the game since he took the underneath route and left Wilson on his own.

Ebner was the next man up at safety. Gregory was out, Chung was hurt, and Moore came in to replace him but also got hurt.

The Pats were down to their number 3 and 5 safeties by that point

Injuries tend to happen at the most inopportune times.

it seems nowadays that whenever someone gets a little cut on their finger they go to the sidelines and sit for the rest of the game. 30 years ago you would never have seen chung be sitting on the sidelines. in fact hightower would have played as well.

end of the day it's obvious this team no depth in the secondary. if any one of the starters gets injured we are in trouble. look at the giants, injuries galore, but their GM knows what he's doing and gets depth. so if any one on NY gets hurt, no prob, they still go out and trounce SF.

Last edited:
it seems nowadays that whenever someone gets a little cut on their finger they go to the sidelines and sit for the rest of the game. 30 years ago you would never have seen chung be sitting on the sidelines. in fact hightower would have played as well.

end of the day it's obvious this team no depth in the secondary. if any one of the starters gets injured we are in trouble. look at the giants, injuries galore, but their GM knows what he's doing and gets depth. so if any one on NY gets hurt, no prob, they still go out and trounce SF.

Gregory, Chung, and Moore were all hurt for Ebner to be in. But it was Wilson who made the mistake on that play, a high draft pick who has been a regular part of the safety rotation. I would contend that the depth at safety and the secondary as a whole is good, and clearly better than last year. Indeed, there is not much drop from top to bottom--they are similarly mediocre.

Playbook: Russell Wilson's TD pass to beat the Patriots | National Football Post

2 receivers running routes, both were supposed to be double covered - Wilson messed up as well as a lot of other players

Who was playing CB on the low/near side on that play? I don't follow why he released the WR, leaving him one-on-one against Wilson. Would have thought that he would follow the WR the whole way, count on Wilson for help over the top, and let the linebackers deal with a running play if that's what Seattle ended up doing.

Who was playing CB on the low/near side on that play? I don't follow why he released the WR, leaving him one-on-one against Wilson. Would have thought that he would follow the WR the whole way, count on Wilson for help over the top, and let the linebackers deal with a running play if that's what Seattle ended up doing.

It looks like McCourty is bottom of the screen, Dennard top.

It looks like McCourty is bottom of the screen, Dennard top.

Thanks, I couldn't make that out on the screen shots.

I guess we'll never know for sure if his not continuing to cover the WR further downfield was by design (play call) or an error on his part on his assignment.

It was McCourty. Not really sure why he stopped, maybe it was zone, but he really didn't run after the receiver after a certain point.

end of the day it's obvious this team no depth in the secondary. if any one of the starters gets injured we are in trouble. Bn depth. so if any one on NY gets hurt, no prob, they still go out and trounce SF.
Cut fingers have nothing to do with it. Lack of talent throughout the secondary, combined with awful technique, has everything to do with it.

It's actually fine with the CB's, since we have six on the roster. But it is an issue with the safeties, which is why I want either Moore or Dowling to move to safety.

convertedpatsfan said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt57

It was McCourty. Not really sure why he stopped, maybe it was zone, but he really didn't run after the receiver after a certain point.

basically he released rice into the zone that was supposed to be wilson. would seem like the natural thing. my problem is more of...why the hell were the pats in their base defense instead of a nickel/dime look when EVERYONE knew the Seahawks were going to pass

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes