PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Dobson Guaranteed a Spot?

Who knew Stephen Hill has already been in the league 2 years....not me. The JESTs....where WRs go to die. Getting drafted by the Jets as a WR, considering their QB sucktitude, almosts guarantees vet minimum wages on their second contract. Hill may be a 'buy low" candidate when the JESTs eventually cut bait.....if he can learn to catch in a year or two

Who knew? Every Jets fan who have had to suffer through watching him run bad routes and display his hands of stone on every play.

Still not sure if the OP was joking or not. I do remember a poster last year hating Dobson because he didn't display swagger and you cannot be successful as a WR in the NFL unless you have swagger. So I think he may that guy and 100% serious.

Swagger is overrated. Just ask Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Wes Welker, and a whole host of HOF, elite, and solid receivers over the years who were pretty mild mannered in their demeanor.

Dobson looked like he was emerging before he broke his foot. He had something that is far more important than swagger - the ability to gain separation from defenders.

Still not sure if the OP was joking or not. I do remember a poster last year hating Dobson because he didn't display swagger and you cannot be successful as a WR in the NFL unless you have swagger. So I think he may that guy and 100% serious.
I believe it was the "Aaron Dropson" guys. :cool:

Zero swagger, doesn't exude confidence, no fire or visible competitiveness.

Sounds like a description of that notorious draft bust, Barry Sanders.

(not that I'm comparing Dobson to Sanders - just trying to figure out the logic)

.....and don't let me started on Chandler Jones.

Other than draft position, why is he guaranteed a spot? He has good measureables, but he lacks visible intangibles. Zero Wide Receiver swagger, doesn't exude confidence, no fire or visible competitiveness.
From what I watched in 2013....meh...us my reaction.

Im not "all over" the Tyms bandwagon. Once I see him succeed against 1st stringers I'll be convinced. He's bounced around a bit which is concerning. But you cant discount what you've seen so far. He also exhibits good metrics...plus he's got that fire, competitivenes and gimme tge damn ball attitudeI like in receivers.

Because he is frigging freaking awesome that's why. Nobody would ever cut Aaron Dobson or any WR that big fast and talented just because of lack of being in practice due to a minor surgery. I watched everything on Dobson he has everything you want in a wr. He gets open intermediate and gains deep seperation. While having great athleticism/hands. That long TD against the steelers, ONE OF THE 2 defenders covering him was a legit 4.33 corner that could not catch Dobson after he caught the ball in stride and accelerated. Even his drops were not on routine catches while I admit if he held onto that diving catch it would have been highlight of year candidate and I was dissapointed in that drop. But still the late deep separation he got and the dive to get a hand on the ball was still impressive.

I understand where you were coming from after seeing other WRs making plays who could get cut for a WR you have yet to see play. But I assure you Its more to him being a Round2 pick as to why they are keeping Dobson. He and Kenbrell are building chemistry with Brady and give our offense taller,fast athletic WRs it has lacked. Both should be very dynamic by mid season and their talent is reason they have folded away the game plans to 2TE sets Bellichick has dreamed of since during winning championships. Gronk,Vereen,Dobson,Kenbrell,Edelman gives Brady quite an assortment of firepower with some Lafell Amendola sprinkled in. Just enjoy Dobsons big plays.

Wow...great post....two paragraphs too.Looks like you're gonna make the roster for the start of the regular season, G.R.

Swagger is overrated. Just ask Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Wes Welker, and a whole host of HOF, elite, and solid receivers over the years who were pretty mild mannered in their demeanor.

Swagger isn't just overrated, it is misplaced as a metric for performance.

More often than not, swagger is a cover up for a lack of confidence, a true belief that "I don't really belong here therefore will act like I'm a top dog and try to fool everyone." It is fool's gold.

I would say his place isn't guaranteed by his draft position, but its very rare to get that elite size/big hands/speed combination in the NFL. Those type of receivers don't grow on trees, so the pats are willing to gamble a little bit on the project. He was showing some very encouraging play at the end of the season, so we can hope that he continues in the right direction.

Swagger isn't just overrated, it is misplaced as a metric for performance.

More often than not, swagger is a cover up for a lack of confidence, a true belief that "I don't really belong here therefore will act like I'm a top dog and try to fool everyone." It is fool's gold.

Or as Barry Sanders used to say, "Act like you've been there before."

As for the OP, obviously it was a stupid post. But we live in a society where instant results are mandatory, and we forget that patience is necessary when dealing with kids coming out of college.

But I'm glad the OP isn't involved with any significant personnel decisions because someone like Alshon Jeffery would have been gone (24 catches, 367 yards in his rookie season) before he turned into a great player. Ditto Michael Floyd (45, 562), Randall Cobb (25, 375), Demaryius Thomas (22, 283), and Golden Tate (21, 227) among recent draftees.

Patriots history is filled with players who needed time to develop. Heck, a lot of them aren't even top draft picks. Let's not forget how little we got out of #12 his rookie season as a 6th-round 4th-string QB. Welker didn't catch a pass in his rookie season, and only 29 in his second. Danny Woodhead only got 15 carries and 8 receptions in his rookie season before he got cut (by someone like the OP) and picked up by the Pats. Troy Brown was an 8th-round pick who got cut and only caught 2 passes in his first 2 seasons.

And you want to give up on a 2nd-round pick who has flashed tremendous potential after only one season???

Obviously glad you're not making decisions for a real team or you'd be looking up at the Jaguars. But I'm not even sure you should be in charge of a FF team by yourself at this point.

To the Practice Squad this one goes.

Kinda obvious when he followed up with Chandler Jones.

Visible intangibles? Really?

Don't judge a man by his visible intangibles. It's the tangibles that aren't visible that count.

Because he has 300K of his 2014 salary guaranteed:)

To put it simply Dobson is guaranteed a roster spot because he is the best WR on the team

Hi there all you experts!!!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back