PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people call Patriots' fans bandwagoners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't speak for everyone, but I've been a fan since around 1976.

That puts me at 12 years old. Realistic timeline
Became a fan in 1975, got my first Pat’s jersey Christmas 1976 when I was 14 (#18 Randy Vataha) Which was very cool, since I’m a native NY’er, and it was rare to see a Pat’s jersey in NYC back in 1976. But please, call me a bandwagoner, except I jumped on the bandwagon 42 years ago.

Kind of makes no sense that people say Patriot fans only started following the team in 2001 when Brady came in

But...I think people are kind of forgetting the Patriots went 10 years without winning a SB even after Brady came in. The gap from 2004 to 2014.

That isn't exactly a definition of a "bandwagoner". See: Seahawk fans. THOSE are bandwagoners. Golden State Warrior fans. THOSE are bandwagoners.

West coast and southern pro sports franchises have awful fanbases

Because there really are a lot of them these days. It just happens, guys. If you're one, own it. If you can't beat them, join them. And it wouldn't be the worst decision you've ever made.:cool:

:D

That's also why it's important for all of us to never give up in the first quarter/first half - or really until the final whistle. We've all experienced some incredible wins and we've learned that it's never over with this team. :cool:

It really bothers me when people give up when there's plenty of time for their team to close the gap. The Steelers almost came back today in front of tons of empty seats.

There's no way of even knowing whether young Patriots' fans are "bandwagoners." They haven't had a chance to wander in the desert yet.

This team has been so very good for so very long that you have an entire generation of native New Englanders who can't remember any Patriots team before Brady and Belichick. Amazing, really.

Some Millennial fans are sort of annoying, though. All they care about is brady and stats, and they take the anti-bb media cheese way too easily.

Anyone who goes back to the 70s or 80s sort of knows why the crowd has been weak at times during these games, too.

Spoiled rotten and don’t know the other end of it.

It just dawned on me that I've only been posting on PatsFans.com for maybe 15 years. What if I'm a bandwagon fan??? :eek:

Some Millennial fans are sort of annoying, though. All they care about is brady and stats, and they take the anti-bb media cheese way too easily.

Anyone who goes back to the 70s or 80s sort of knows why the crowd has been weak at times during these games, too.

Spoiled rotten and don’t know the other end of it.
The 70's and 80's included a ton of tremendous victories and great stretches for the Patriots, who were serious title contenders several times, as opposed to over a dozen other NFL teams who did not sniff the title in the 60's, 70's or 80's.

The envy and hatred of Boston has lots to do with the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox.

"These fans are spoiled. They just expect us to show up and win every week."

-John Hannah, after beating the Jets in Foxborough in 1979.

The bemoaning and complaining about a five-year stretch here from '89-'93 of rebuilding with the retirements of several key veterans and upheaval in the front office is sickening. There was a quarter century of utter futility in Green Bay between Lombardi and Favre, and no, they never ruined their uniforms.

It has never been easy to make the trek down Route 1, and struggling ownership in staggering debt causing minimal amenities made it a tough road for fans. Not me. My Celtics fandom diminished not one iota in the late 70's when the franchise really was a laughingstock...for real. They were still the Celtics...I remember Johnny Most delivering the most passionate, touching speech toward the end of one of those seasons, pleading with fans not to lose faith. I didn't need it, but it was moving nonetheless.

The New England Patriots had a world wide fan base and following in the mid-eighties.

The denigration and prejudice against the Patriots since the merger in '70 picked up huge steam in the 90's, with the inevitable struggle in ownership and on the field; and the league, and the media, locally and nationally, pouncing like hungry sharks in a pool of blood-drenched water.

Bob Kraft bought the team, kept it here and hired BB. Bravo.

But all along, he has kowtowed to the NFL in every conceivable way. Going along with every stupid, wrong denigration and insult. He starts every one of his speeches with "Since 1994..."

He should have just renamed the team. Bill Parcells - whom Kraft did not hire - and financially secure ownership brought the fans in and sellouts continued, even after Kraft drove Parcells out of town. That's where the bandwagon accusation stems from. Virtually every pro franchise suffers declining attendance when they struggle on the field. Younger fans, and young parents with money followed Kraft's lead, really, really wanting the team to be "reborn from obscurity" and believing the team was "broken and ridiculed" and that it previously "damaged the league".

How many posts right here on this site, when referring to games we saw or attended from '89-92, have the phrase "by the way, we won that game" or "we just barely lost" in them?

All the money, propaganda and acquiescence to the NFL cannot make Drew Bledsoe and the Patriots of the 90's nearly as good, exciting or heroic (or good-looking) as their predecessors the previous three decades.

Also have to say, kids become fans of winning teams. I remember in the 1970’s, there were TONS of Steeler’s and Cowboy’s fans in Queens NY where I grew up. Which made sense because those teams were winning. The Jets and Giants were pretty putrid in the 1970’s, so a lot of NY kids gravitated towards the Steelers and Cowboys. Not saying it’s right, just saying that’s the definition of band wagon fans. And I have no problem with “new” Pats fans who jumped on board because the Pats are winners. Let’s see if they stick with the team 20 years from now, when the dynasty finally ends :)

I became a Pat’s fan because of Mack Herron. Saw him on NFL Films back in 1974, and liked him. Then learned about Plunkett, Vataha, etc, liked the Pats a lot and became a fan. The 1976 season was magical. Can’t believe that was 41 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes