PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why didn't BB challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct. Hmm. The refs definitely did not want us to win because they should have called a TD and looked at it.

Yeah that's totally what I said man!

If the rule is that only TD's can be automatically challenged, it's the refs fault for not ruling borderline calls TD so that they can look at it.

I don't blame the refs on that. I blame the rules committee for not including language for plays inside the one that don't score as part of the auto-review stuff.

One thing that cracks me up about all the talk of the refs is the fact that no one seems to realize (or care) that Polamalu's deliberate batting of the football is illegal; it's actually a 10 yard penalty. Not that it would have made a difference, but I got a bit nauseated listening to the announcers kiss his ass for what he did when what he did was a pretty blatent violation of the rules.

Last edited:
One thing that cracks me up about all the talk of the refs is the fact that no one seems to realize (or care) that Polamalu's deliberate batting of the football is illegal; it's actually a 10 yard penalty. Not that it would have made a difference, but I got a bit nauseated listening to the announcers kiss his ass for what he did when what he did was a pretty blatent violation of the rules.

It was a smart play. I'm sure u noticed that on the replay and live. I only noticed it on the replay so I don't blame the refS. Did the Pats even complain?

It was a smart play.
Sure, if you define smart as "blatently violating the rules but getting away with it."
I'm sure u noticed that on the replay and live. I only noticed it on the replay so I don't blame the refS. Did the Pats even complain?
Actually, yes, I did notice it live. The fact that it went flying so fast about 15 yards backwards is your first clue. I also noticed that the refs gave the Patriots a free 5 yards following the Steelers out-of-bounds kickoff, but no one else seems to have noticed that either. (I actually wrote Florio about it. After the big deal he made out of the free 5 yards in the Lions game, I thought he may have been interested in this one).

Last edited:
Sure, if you define smart as "blatently violating the rules but getting away with it."Actually, yes, I did notice it live. The fact that it went flying so fast about 15 yards backwards is your first clue. I also noticed that the refs gave the Patriots a free 5 yards following the Steelers out-of-bounds kickoff, but no one else seems to have noticed that either.

Where was the ball placed?

Where was the ball placed?
The 40 yard line, which is where is used to be supposed to be placed. The rule for kickoffs out of bounds doesn't say put the ball at the 40, it says put the ball 30 yards downfield from where the ball was kicked, which these days is the 35. (Or at the spot where it went out of bounds, but this particular kickoff went deep but going out.)

Last edited:
Gronk seemed to be sure he was in the endzone and seemed to want BB to challenge. Someone on the coaching staff upstairs should have communicated to BB to challenge once they saw the replay on TV. There was more than enough time to get a challenge in. It was a bad coaching decision, as was the onside kick. No need for an onside kick in that situation, with all 3 TOs remaining.

Gronk seemed to be sure he was in the endzone and seemed to want BB to challenge. Someone on the coaching staff upstairs should have communicated to BB to challenge once they saw the replay on TV. There was more than enough time to get a challenge in. It was a bad coaching decision, as was the onside kick. No need for an onside kick in that situation, with all 3 TOs remaining.

There was no replay on the CBS feed I was watching until after the Pats scored the TD. Tough to throw the flag when you don't have a replay to look at, especially when TOs are so important at that point. The 30 seconds running off the clock while the Pats were delaying the snap are less important than the TO they would be docked if they lost the challenge.

He stepped out... we didn't get a first down.

Again, Gronk REACHED OUT before he went out of bounds. What part of that don't you understand?

I don't blame the refs on that. I blame the rules committee for not including language for plays inside the one that don't score as part of the auto-review stuff.

Exactly what I was thinking after the game. I hope it helps lead to a rule change to include that.

In this case, no replay was shown before the next play, which is all the coaches have to go on. A coach shouldn't have to blindly risk a timeout in the hope that the player did actually score.

If they had called that a TD, I'd be shocked if it wasn't reviewed. It only makes sense to review it with it not called a TD.

Exactly what I was thinking after the game. I hope it helps lead to a rule change to include that.

In this case, no replay was shown before the next play, which is all the coaches have to go on. A coach shouldn't have to blindly risk a timeout in the hope that the player did actually score.

If they had called that a TD, I'd be shocked if it wasn't reviewed. It only makes sense to review it with it not called a TD.

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

Again, Gronk REACHED OUT before he went out of bounds. What part of that don't you understand?

it looked like to me that he stepped out before reaching back . . . i did not think he got the first down . . .

From BB's presser:

On whether or not he thought about challenging the Gronkowski catch at the goal line at the end:

“I thought about it, but there was no evidence to say to challenge it. I mean I certainly couldn’t see it from my angle, and I don’t believe they replayed the play in the box, but there was nothing to tell us that he wasn’t….I don’t know whether he was or not.”

It is the job of Ernie Adams, or whoever is in the coaches box, to see the replay and let BB know if they should challenge or not. No replay was available so they could not tell and BB may have felt that the timeout was better kept for later. Hindsight being what it is, maybe he should have challenged.

Last edited:
All scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

Yeah but they don't buzz down to the field on every scoring play and tell them to look at instant replay. That's what I meant. Had Gronkowski's catch been ruled a TD, I don't think there's any chance it wouldn't have been looked at by the official on the field.

If they review every scoring play, they should have the power to review every play that could be a score as well. Again, it shouldn't be up to the coach hoping that CBS or Fox happpens to show a replay in time to challenge the call.

It is the job of Ernie Adams, or whoever is in the coaches box, to see the replay and let BB know if they should challenge or not. No replay was available so they could not tell and BB may have felt that the timeout was better kept for later. Hindsight being what it is, maybe he should have challenged.
I've always said (and this is a job I would be perfect for :D ) that every team should have an individual upstairs (not even necessarily in the same room as the coordinators) who's job it is is to simply watch the game on TV. This person should have 2 TV's side by side, one which is a fully functional TiVo unit so they can INSTANTLY flip back to see a replay without relying on the network to show one (and the other TV would maintain the closed circuit network feed).

This is not a perfect, foolproof system but I think it's better than relying on your coordinators (who are also busy doing other things) to hope CBS shows a replay.

Again, it shouldn't be up to the coach hoping that CBS or Fox happpens to show a replay in time to challenge the call.

That's the thing I've always hated about the replay system (and overall I am glad there is a replay system). No way should the outcome of the game be depending on what replays a director in a network truck decides to show.

The NFL is rolling in cash -- they should having some sort of league-operated system installed at every stadium. At least for scoring plays if they can't work it out for the whole field.

I've always said (and this is a job I would be perfect for :D ) that every team should have an individual upstairs (not even necessarily in the same room as the coordinators) who's job it is is to simply watch the game on TV. This person should have 2 TV's side by side, one which is a fully functional TiVo unit so they can INSTANTLY flip back to see a replay without relying on the network to show one (and the other TV would maintain the closed circuit network feed).

I've often thought the same thing. However, do NFL rules even allow it?

I've often thought the same thing. However, do NFL rules even allow it?
That's a good question. I don't know of any such rule, but maybe there is one out there.

OH Great! TV-Gate...and then the dreaded "TV credibility gap"...

no...I think the NFL should keep on doing everything the way Omissioner Jetdell wants it done....no one wants to see any of this new fangled video production stuff...just have the mid week rules committee meeting that results in total whitewashing of all controversial calls because...well..you know how Roger HATES controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes