PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are the Colts a “rival”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Peyton Manning and they used to be in our division.

Too bad Luck isn't that great (he's league average at best or to put it another way Eli Manning) and their coaching and drafting hasn't been great post-Manning.

They are strange blue anh knee malls.

Aside from some carryover from the deflate gate scandal and some fond memories of earlier years, they’re not a rival.

We used to be in the same division, and then once we weren't anymore it was Brady-Manning, and us both being competitive in the AFC throughout the decade, and now it's post-Deflategate ****.

The important thing to remember here is that like 8 different fanbases at least consider us their biggest rivals: Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Colts, Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, etc. I know Raiders fans out here who say they'd rather see the Broncos, Chargers or Chiefs win a SB than see the Pats win one. So there are bound to be fanbases that consider themselves our rivals that we don't actually care about at all. Like everytime said Raiders buddies claim we're rivals, I think it really ****s with them that I insist no Pats fan agrees or cares.

Rivalries have bad blood.

NE vs NYJ really caught fire after Parcells

NE vs Oakland ever since 1976 and the BS penalty.

NE vs Baltimore. They have knocked the Pats out of the playoffs plenty of times.

NE vs IND during Manning and now because of McDaniels. He pissed off the whole city of Indianapolis. Its a rival. Colts win would be like winning the Lombardi.

They were in the same division once upon a time, but that was because of their history in Baltimore. The realignment fixed all that.

I honestly don't see why people took Brady/Manning as a rivalry. This isn't boxing or UFC or something. They don't ever play each other on the field. In fact, there were several times in which the team who lost had the QB with the better numbers. But that's the point, its a TEAM win not just a QB. NFL is nothing but a popularity contest these days with people, and the old saying "Defense wins championships" is forgotten by many... particularly the younger generations....

Irsay calls it a rivalry because he's butthurt not only over the McDaniels thing but also still mad about the 45-7 beatdown when his team were "on their way" to the SB as well as the the follow-up when the Pats waltzed into their stadium and beat em again. Not to mention under his ownership the Colts have yet to beat the Pats... Basically, the whole thing is in his head. The Pats are in his head, and that's right where we wanna be!

Defamegate took away any chance of this being a rivalry. Champions aren’t rivals with lying, sniveling, excuse-making losers. It’s like saying a mafia crime family is rivals with a lowlife snitch.

Here’s another question:

Are there actually any real rivalries in the NFL?

I say no.

The following teams/fan bases think they’re rivals: Steelers, Colts, Broncos, Ravens, Chargers, Raiders (from a game 17 years ago).

I know, it’s pathetic.
Well, at least the Broncos can say they’ve owned NE’s a** 3 times out of 4 in the playoffs since 2005. But because it’s so sporadic, there’s not enough time to be a rivalry.

Here’s another question:

Are there actually any real rivalries in the NFL?

I say no.

Ravens-Steelers sticks out, and it's like 24-20 so pretty even and the hate is real
Bengals-Steelers aren't competitive so much as they're crazy cheap shot thunderdome games lately

By definition Indy is not a rival, and they weren't even when they had PEDton.

I started to dislike them when they took away the team from Baltimore in the middle of the night.

I then disliked them a little more when the NYFL realigned PEDton with a 4-team division full of expansion teams to make his trip to the playoffs easier (they, like everyone else, didn't see Brady coming).

To make matters worse they lobbied to have rules changed so that PEDton could complete passes that he had trouble completing against good defenses.

Then they tanked a season to get a QB that was going to replace PEDton but ended up sucking instead.

And now they stink.

Rivals my arse!

2001-2004 seasons the Patriots just owned Peyton Manning so completely it was magical. Should have sent a poet.

The more time passes the more I see him as a genuine fraud. Most losses in playoff history, most one-and-dones in playoff history, didn't have a single genuinely good game in either of his Super Bowl runs, posted sub-Dilfer numbers in his last win, never had a single playoff run where he was good every game, win or lose. Even with the extra ring, to me he's miles behind Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, who legitimately carried their teams on their Super Bowl runs.

3 touchdown passes to 5 picks in 4 Super Bowl appearances, just lol.

"Rival" in Latin means anal wart.

With Grigson gone, I was inclined to not consider the Colts a rival. But then I remembered Irsay is still staggering around there, and I caught a glimpse of that stupid Peyton dome.

Yes, the Colts are still an oozing rival.

There are a few angles to the Pats/Colts rivalry that make it significant.

The two teams were divisional opponents for a while so there is something there. We beat the crap out of BUF every year but its still a divisional game with a little more juice to it.

Manning/Brady. 'nuff said.

Playoff matchups and riveting regular season games. (4th n 2, 4th down stop by Willie, etc)

$@#%suckers made crap up to fuel Deflategate

They are rivaling us with the number of banners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents