PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Americans hate soccer

They do. It has.

You obviously have a problem with that -- but it's your problem.
And you're obviously living in denial. Soccer is like ski jumping or gymnastics or track & field or bobsledding. Once every 4 years we get all excited for it, and then it goes back into the dustbin of American sports until the next 4 years pass.

Nothing says "Americans love soccer" like 12,000 people going to an MLS event in a stadium that holds 68,000! :rofl: Get your kicks with The New England Revolution - plenty of great seats still available!

Last edited:
I'll put how much I like soccer into perspective.

NFL
NBA
PGA
MLB
NHL
Soccer

No, ESPN is forcing it down our throats because ABC/ESPN is carrying the telecast, so they are just promoting their own broadcast. If NBC was carrying the World Cup, ESPN wouldn't have even mentioned soccer once until the event actually started. Instead we had to have it forced at us for about the past 6 months.
Sorry, but I don't see anyone shouting from the rooftops, kicking and screaming. I started a thread which pretty much details why Americans don't like soccer and why it will never catch on here. For some reason you consider that "kicking and screaming".

When the US Women won the World Cup in Pasadena in 2000, all the soccer idiots were saying this would herald in a new age of soccer adoration in America. But once Brandi Chastain put her shirt back on, soccer resumed its deserved role in America of being just one step above professional lacrosse.

Why are they carrying the game? Try because it's the best one in the world and believe it or not ESPN is actualy a sports orientated channel and, believe it or not, fellow Americans may like the game. So anyway you decided to detail a thread on what the rest of us already got the idea about when it comes to American attitude towards football? Then you back up your obvious agenda with insults and the rediculous deserved role remark in what looks like a desperate attempt to get your point across. Looks like kicking and screaming to me, your probrably even stamping your feet as you type while failing to acknowledge my point about people being entitled to follow what ever they want and if it keeps kids off the street and gives them a good living then why not. I'm sure Clint Dempseys parents are totaly embarrassed at his son for earning 50k a week (actualy, about 70k USD), playing in the best league in the world against the best athletes in the world and in the best sport in the world. Good job he didn't listen to you eh, he might be flipping burgers back in Texas.

Everyone else is having fun in their lives and instead of getting your knickers wet over soccer idiots (who probrably earn more than you), you should try and relax a little, maybe come to the realisation most normal people accept other peoples likes and dislikes instead of throwing their toys out the pram because ESPN ran a little kick ball.

Funny enough I just heard the United States are taking the most fans out to the world cup, might be to do with the size of your place but there you go. Also, I have family out in LA and the good, open minded Americans there ask them about soccer and about Liverpool all the time, Liverpool even gained a few extra fans. How come my family members can have a little fun teaching you yanks how to practice keeping up a football while you sit there crying? I also just saw videos of American troops sitting side by side with British troops in Afghan celebrating the USA goal like they'd just won the lottery.

It's good job your opinion doesn't even come close to representing the vast majority of Americans isn't it, unless you think you represent three hundred million people?. It's also a very good job the Americans I have met and spoke to in my lifetime don't carry your level of arrogance, ignorance and general stupidity. But carry on anyways...oh, by the way, your nation played well tonight. Well done...

The thing i don't understand about American's attitude towards football (i will never call it Soccer) is that people go out of their way to say they don't like it, to say its rubbish, to say its boring and people shouldn't watch it etc. Why can't they just allow the people who do enjoy it to watch it in peace? There is no attitude of Brits saying you shouldn't watch the NFL, and going out of their way to say its boring, they simply don't comment and leave it alone to the people who do care.

Why are they carrying the game? Try because it's the best one in the world and believe it or not ESPN is actualy a sports orientated channel and, believe it or not, fellow Americans may like the game.
That makes no sense whatsoever. I ask why is ESPN covering the game and you replay "because it's the best in the world!" Well, why do they cover lacrosse, softball and poker? Are those also the best sports in the world?
So anyway you decided to detail a thread on what the rest of us already got the idea about when it comes to American attitude towards football? Then you back up your obvious agenda with insults and the rediculous deserved role remark in what looks like a desperate attempt to get your point across.
Excuse me, but what insults? Where have I said a single thing in this thread that is considered an insult?
Looks like kicking and screaming to me, your probrably even stamping your feet as you type while failing to acknowledge my point about people being entitled to follow what ever they want and if it keeps kids off the street and gives them a good living then why not. I'm sure Clint Dempseys parents are totaly embarrassed at his son for earning 50k a week (actualy, about 70k USD), playing in the best league in the world against the best athletes in the world and in the best sport in the world. Good job he didn't listen to you eh, he might be flipping burgers back in Texas.
So to support your point that Americans love soccer, you bring up an example of a guy who had to leave America to earn big bucks to do so. :rofl: :rofl:

Hey more power to him! But his success does nothing to changes the fact that by and large, Americans just don't care about soccer. All your whining will do nothing to change that.
Everyone else is having fun in their lives and instead of getting your knickers wet over soccer idiots (who probrably earn more than you), you should try and relax a little, maybe come to the realisation most normal people accept other peoples likes and dislikes instead of throwing their toys out the pram because ESPN ran a little kick ball.
Seems to me the only one kicking and screaming in here is you.
It's good job your opinion doesn't even come close to representing the vast majority of Americans isn't it, unless you think you represent three hundred million people?. It's also a very good job the Americans I have met and spoke to in my lifetime don't carry your level of arrogance, ignorance and general stupidity. But carry on anyways...oh, by the way, your nation played well tonight. Well done...
Heh heh. You aren't even smart enough to see how much you are acting in the very manner you have accused me of acting. :rofl: :rofl:

By and large, Americans neither like nor follow soccer. This is a statement of fact. Your acting like a petulent 5 year old will not change that fact.

Last edited:
The thing i don't understand about American's attitude towards football (i will never call it Soccer) is that people go out of their way to say they don't like it, to say its rubbish, to say its boring and people shouldn't watch it etc.
Please point out in this thread where I said people shouldn't watch it.

I have accurately said Americans don't watch it - except once every 4 years - but not once have I told people what they should do with their free time.

Please point out in this thread where I said people shouldn't watch it.

I have accurately said Americans don't watch it - except once every 4 years - but not once have I told people what they should do with their free time.

But American's do watch it. The MLS is growing, in attendances and TV viewing figures. USA is one of the best supported teams at the WC in terms of numbers of fans there.

That makes no sense whatsoever. I ask why is ESPN covering the game and you replay "because it's the best in the world!" Well, why do they cover lacrosse, softball and poker? Are those also the best sports in the world?
Excuse me, but what insults? Where have I said a single thing in this thread that is considered an insult?
So to support your point that Americans love soccer, you bring up an example of a guy who had to leave America to earn big bucks to do so. :rofl: :rofl:

Hey more power to him! But his success does nothing to changes the fact that by and large, Americans just don't care about soccer. All your whining will do nothing to change that.
Seems to me the only one kicking and screaming in here is you.
Heh heh. You aren't even smart enough to see how much you are acting in the very manner you have accused me of acting. :rofl: :rofl:

By and large, Americans neither like nor follow soccer. This is a statement of fact. Your acting like a petulent 5 year old will not change that fact.

Ahhh, playing the you bit card while still failing to dispute accurately, remember your own and others points and forgetting choice of words, smilies an all. Thought you might.

But American's do watch it. The MLS is growing, in attendances and TV viewing figures. USA is one of the best supported teams at the WC in terms of numbers of fans there.

In Wolfpack's defense, I agree with him. What # sport is it ranked in the U.S viewers wise, sixth? (NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA, NHL, MLS) :rolleyes:

He's just stating a fact that the majority of the U.S.A could care less about soccer.

Ahhh, playing the you bit card while still failing to dispute accurately, remember your own and others points and forgetting choice of words, smilies an all. Thought you might.
All I said was "Americans don't like soccer and here's why" and you threw an absolute temper tantrum, kicking and screaming like a 6 year old girl. (Ironcially, any 6 year old girl could have made the save on the goal America scored but that's beside the point). I guess the truth hurts, huh?

I'm right. You're wrong. Deal with it. :rocker:

In Wolfpack's defense, I agree with him. What # sport is it ranked in the U.S viewers wise, sixth? (NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA, NHL, MLS) :rolleyes:

He's just stating a fact that the majority of the U.S.A could care less about soccer.
No way is it 6th - 6th would actually be impressive. :D It is certainly beat by the 5 sports you list, but you can throw in NASCAR, IndyCar, boxing, MMA, horse racing and figure skating. Not to mention that if you break football, baseball and basketball up into "pro" and "college" then all those would also outrate pro soccer too. Heck, even the Little League World Series and the Scripps Spelling Bee get more headlines than the annual soccer championships.

Last edited:
No way is it 6th - 6th would actually be impressive. :D It is certainly beat by the 5 sports you list, but you can throw in NASCAR, IndyCar, boxing, MMA, horse racing and figure skating. Not to mention that if you break football, baseball and basketball up into "pro" and "college" then all those would also outrate pro soccer too. Heck, even the Little League World Series and the Scripps Spelling Bee get more headlines than the annual soccer championships.

I doubt the Scripps spelling bee attracts 30,000+ like the Seattle Sounders do, fairly regularly. Try telling people in Seattle that American's don't care about football.

Than stop arguing. :) This thread is for americans discussing the various ways we hate soccer.

Why do you need to discuss it though? Go on to any British football forum and you don't find thread's entitle "Why Brits hate Baseball". We just leave it to the people who enjoy it, and feel no need to attempt to belittle their chosen sport. Why such negativity towards football? Its almost like you don't want people to enjoy it.

Why do you need to discuss it though? Go on to any British football forum and you don't find thread's entitle "Why Brits hate Baseball". We just leave it to the people who enjoy it, and feel no need to attempt to belittle their chosen sport. Why such negativity towards football? Its almost like you don't want people to enjoy it.

I'm sick of waking up and flicking to ESPN and seeing World Cup games, the annoying African music, the greek guy, the other guy, the college football guy, talk about the World Cup. I feel it is a shame that the NBA Finals, MLB, etc. are on ESPN2 and I have to flick one whole channel.

I doubt the Scripps spelling bee attracts 30,000+ like the Seattle Sounders do, fairly regularly. Try telling people in Seattle that American's don't care about football.
I did a quick google search. The 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee had an average of 6.1 million viewers (with 9.9 million tuning in to the ending). The 2009 MLS cup had about 850,000 viewers - and that was actually considered a big improvement over the previous year.

Hmmmm..... 6 million versus 850 thousand... so what's that you were saying about soccer being more popular than the Spelling Bee?

Nobody is being negative towards football. I love football and am glad it is America's national pastime.

What we are being negative towards is soccer.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back