PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why am i supposed to believe that Tony Dungy is a good person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, I don't have anything against Dungy but I am sick and tired of the media shoving him down my throat. Just because of that I am sick of the guy and inclined to dislike him.

My experience is that whenever the media tells me how great a guy is, chances are he's probably an azzhole (LT is a perfect example).

HAHAHAAH So true!!!

He's probably not as bad as many Pats fans think, and he's probably not as great as many Colts fans think. We are all human, we all have our flaws, and we all have our redeeming qualities. Nuff said.

Okay, I'll try to anwer why I think he is a good guy.
But I can't answer why you're SUPPOSE to believe he is a good guy. sorry.

1. He does various charities around Indianapolis. One being the All-Pro Dad.
2. He does council inmates.
3. I've read about how he puts his family before football. I'm guessing that many NFL coaches feel the the same, but I'm sure there are plenty that put football first, before even themselves.
4. I've been an Indy Colts fan since i was a kid. Since the days of Jack Trudeau. I haven't seen Colt's players in interviews give as much love and respect for their coach since maybe Ted Marchibroda(who I also think is a really good guy).
5. I do think Dungy's soft spokeness with his players is one quality that makes him a good guy. That doesn't mean I think coach's that yell are necessarily bad guys. I'm just saying that players probably don't like being yelled at so they may perceive a loud, tough coach as being a jerk. Though that might be exactly what the player needs. Mean, loud guys are some of the best coaches in the NFL. Sometimes being "nice" can make you a bad coach but a good guy none the less.
6. Dungy answers questions after the game whether the Colts win or lose. That's a quality I respect. Not all coaches and players do that. I believe it adds to him being a good guy.
7. He does plenty of interviews with local media, TV and radio. More than past coaches in this city.

Okay, there's just a few off the top of my head. Obviously, I don't know what Dungy is like behind closed doors. I can only judge from what I've seen in interviews and what other players/coaches say of him.

Couple things. There's a lot of talk about Dungy's religion in this thread. Honestly, I hardly ever hear Dungy talk about his religion in his interviews(locally or nationally). Usually he's kinda boring, saying "all the right things" about the next game or next team. I'm not saying he never says anything about his religion, but I've never felt that Dungy is always pushing his religion down my throat.

2. He does council inmates.

you better seek legal counsel for assault and battery on the English language

The point of the thread was asking someone to tell us why we should feel he is a great guy. By that yardstick. the pro-Dungys have failed miserably. There really isn't anyone trying ot prove he's a bad guy, but the point of the thread was to show that he is a good guy.

How do you prove he is a good guy unless you can first come up with a definition of "good guy."

Come on now, let's be honest here. I could say he risked his life to save a baby from a burning building and the haters would say, "anyone would have done that. So tell me why he's a good guy?"

So again, I'm still waiting to hear from those who feel we need to prove he's a good guy, to give me a reasonable definition of exactly what that means.

I don't understand why i am supposed to believe that he is a good guy.

Why is he a good guy?

I'll even throw out all the stuff that makes him look like a jerk.
there.
its gone.
now explain.

Why is he such a great guy? Just because he's religious?
A lot of people are religious.

A lot of very, very bad people are religious!:eek:

Boy this thread has been very sucessful in that it has 11 pages of responses....wow!!!!!

But trying to define a "good person" as it relates to football....how *^$%*^ STUPID!!!!!

hmmm what does the wind look like??? Lets start a new thread on that....come on......someone can surely give me a concrete description. And when you give me an answer....I will argue with you to be more specific......and you will try to elaborate........and I will say "you still haven't convinced me what the wind looks like.......and on and on and on and on and on. And the pages will keep adding up and adding up.:eek:

Bingo. It's a useless debate. Those who want to think the worst of Dungy won't be convinced no matter what you may present. To be fair, fans of Dungy probably couldn't be convinced otherwise.

The guy who started this thread was wasting his time. Either that or trolling for like minded fans that wanted to pile on Dungy for some strange reason.

He's a decent coach.
But I see whatcha mean....
demographics and the "red" states dood...

Here's a litmus test for good guys;

The ONLY true test for measuring ones goodness is to ask those who are closest to the person in question.

I have never heard anyone close to either Dungy or Belichick speak poorly of either man. I see both respect and loyalty by the players both men coach. So I assume both are pretty good men.

But if this entire post is about who is a better man, Belichick or Dungy, I say to all who have participated...

GROW THE EFF UP!

I can not believe so much has been posted on such a blatantly STUPID topic. Seriously, think about it! Whether either are truly good guys means nothing to anyone but those whose lives they affect.

You're all acting like a bunch of old ladies gossiping over afternoon tea:rolleyes:

I can only pray this thread ends NOW!

Last edited:
Here's a litmus test for good guys;

The ONLY true test for measuring ones goodness is to ask those who are closest to the person in question.

I have never heard anyone close to either Dungy or Belichick speak poorly of either man. I see both respect and loyalty by the players both men coach. So I assume both are pretty good men.

But if this entire post is about who is a better man, Belichick or Dungy, I say to all who have participated...

GROW THE EFF UP!

I can not believe so much has been posted on such a blatantly STUPID topic. Seriously, think about it! Whether either are truly good guys means nothing to anyone but those whose lives they affect.

You're all acting like a bunch of old ladies gossiping over afternoon tea:rolleyes:

I can only pray this thread ends NOW!

I'm a Colt fan and I agree with you. That's why I'm wondering why anyone would ask something so silly as prove to me why he's a good guy.

1. We don't know him.

2. If you need proof he is, you probably couldn't be convinced anyway.

Why is he a good guy?

there.
its gone.
now explain.

Personally, I've always admired the guy.

Personally, I can't stand the premise of the Christian religion. I think they're hypocritical, stubborn, and extremely vein. With that said, I don't generalize every Christian to be that type of person. I don't think religion is something that needs to be brought into it.

Being a good Christian doesn't necessarily make you a good person and visa versa.
Well, I am a christian, but I cant stand overly religious people. I can see how someone could make that observation because I have seen it.

I'm a Colt fan and I agree with you. That's why I'm wondering why anyone would ask something so silly as prove to me why he's a good guy.

1. We don't know him.

2. If you need proof he is, you probably couldn't be convinced anyway.

You're right! but I thought I told you guys to end this stupid good guy, religious BS...and I see you're still all rambling on & on.

DON'T MAKE ME GET UP! :cool:

You're right! but I thought I told you guys to end this stupid good guy, religious BS...and I see you're still all rambling on & on.

DON'T MAKE ME GET UP! :cool:

Religious? When did I mention his religion?

Long time lazy lurker here and this nonsense has pushed me to register.

No matter what you say about Dungy being a good guy he is still a filthy bigot who hates gays and hates social progress. I'm religious too for crying out loud but that doesn't mean that i spew the kind of vile he does about a group of people (Being a minority he should be even more sensitive to the kind of hurt his comments can bring upon people). That alone makes him a terrible person in my book. There is no place in our society for people filled with hatred and disrespect towards a segment of our population like dungy.

Well, I am a christian, but I cant stand overly religious people. I can see how someone could make that observation because I have seen it.

That's kind of what I was referring to. I know this guy who is really involved at the church and he is pretty much a jerk off. He is completely close minded when it comes to choice of religion and on certain general views such as the war in Iraq. He's not a pleasant guy to talk to at all unless you're just like him.

People other than his fellow religious fanatics think he's a good guy because:

• They don't mind his bigotry.
  • He's not known to have done much bad except be a bigot.
  • He has a more pleasant personality than most people in his peer group.
  • Like almost all athletic celebrities, he's done a variety of charitable good deeds.
His fellow fanatics of course like him because of the Bible-pounding as well, just as they convinced themselves that God wanted them to reelect a known torturer who had proved to be both the most evil and the most incompetent president in the entire history of the United States.

Why is he a good guy?

there.
its gone.
now explain.

Good post. He seems to have an uderlying anger/angst/hatred/negativity towards the Pats/New England/Bellichick. NOT the quality of a turn the other cheek, forgiving, and "good guy" of a person. I personally have those same feelings towards him, so I best not hear anybody calling me a good guy. :)

You know, I consider myself a knowledgeable football fan, but I have never heard about Dungy's anti-gay remarks before. When did this come up? During the weeks leading to the last Super Bowl? Because I kind of blocked out the football media for a while there haha.

This is just stunning to me http://www.outsports.com/nfl/2006/0131dungy.htm

The idea of Dungy going around, preaching his beliefs in his locker room, possibly shaming and shunning players is outrageous. Lovie Smith is a devout Christian as well, and I think that he had a much more appropriate response to the issue.

This is something that would NEVER happen in the Patriots locker room under BB. He's created a culture where football comes first before everything else and where people can be different.

And it is not just about gays. There are a lot of Muslim players in the NFL today. How are they supposed to feel with Dungy praising Jesus the Son of God everyday. That can't be comfortable.

And to associate himself with someone who has proven to be every kind of bigot like Jerry Falwell...this completely changes my view of Dungy.

I just dont think you get the point.
What facet of this topic do you know anything more about than any random person out there?
You certainly have not shown anything to show you knew him well enough to know what kind of a person he is, right?
You certainly have no idea of the relationship he had with his parents.
I find it hard to believe, based on what you said, that you knew him well enough to judge that when he wrote his hero was the DC Sniper, that he was just joking.

What you are saying is akin to the people who worked with David Berkowitz, and suspected nothing, are a better judge of what kind of a person he is than the general public who are judging him as a mass murderer.

Boomer, I'm not trying to gang up on you and appreciate your viewpoint, but AJ seems right here. Heck, I work with 40 people in this office, interact with them 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I don't know what relationships they've had with their parents, the inner workings of their minds, or if their current views on race were due to feelings passed down to them. In fact, I suspect that somebody that didn't go to two classes with him, but has access to his inside thoughts via MySpace, could be able to pass judgement equally with somebody who sees him smiling, sitting in his chair in a classroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back