Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will have the better record?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have one of the most difficult schedules next year (on paper). The Bucs have the better QB. I'm going to TB for next year.

Probably TB, but nothing is decided in April, the Pats are rebuilding for the long run..

Couple of questions though:

Does Bruce Arians have the chops to lead and coach this team deep into the playoffs??.. his post season record is 1 & 2, not a lot to work with.

Was Brady's undisclosed, but oft talked about "elbow injury" last year prohibit him from making all those good throws we were accustomed to?? Last year it was rumored that during the last half of the season he was not even throwing during practice.

This Patriots are not finished and how come Sunday we will hear the prophetic idiocy of national pundits of who "won" the Draft...

It’s still April.
Yup, but I'm kinda pissed about the 4th rounder for Gronk.

Just based on the fact that the Bucs had the following picks since 2015: #1, #11, #19, #12, #5 and #14 this year (which also translates to way earlier picks in the subsequent rounds) plus adding the GOAT TE and GOAT QB should leave not much doubt who has the better odds for a great season.

But then again their expectations are SB or its a bust while Vegas expects us to be around 8-8. So in absolute terms the Bucs should definitely have the better season but relative to the expectations I am not so sure about that.

Good analysis.. but I would àdd they could dominate with 3 TE offense. and go 12-4. or better. That means pats could go 11-5 and lose the bet.. this is actually the best outcome IMO which is both teams in the playoffs.

Yup, but I'm kinda pissed about the 4th rounder for Gronk.

Would have been nice to get more I think that’s the best they could have done. The team had no leverage on Gronk. Gronk could have stayed retired or even unretired and blown up the Patriots salary cap forcing them to cut him and get nothing out of it.

Would have been nice to get more I think that’s the best they could have done. The team had no leverage on Gronk. Gronk could have stayed retired or even unretired and blown up the Patriots salary cap forcing them to cut him and get nothing out of it.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the return on that trade tbh. Expected a 5 or nothing.

For the long term I'm betting on whatever team has Bill Belichick.

But for ONLY 2020? Tampa Bay.

Regardless of if Brady stayed or left, they had a bad offensive roster in 2019 and have no 2020 cap space for a quick turn-around. Meanwhile a defense that got exposed down the stretch by people using the radical strategy of "run the ball" has also bled out some talent and is relying on older players too much for comfort. I'm not normally a doom and gloomer, but basically all the salary cap chickens came home to roost at once and they had some bad breaks on top of that which make the 2020 prospects sketchy, and that's before talking about what quality of player is under center now.

They could catch some breaks, but this is really primed to be a down year followed by a rebound in 2021-22 when they have tons of cap space and a couple of drafts to (hopefully...) fill out the roster again.

Tampa for sure. Probably Tampa for the next 2 years. After that, I would bet on Pats.

Bucs. But...neither of them will make the Conference title game in their respective conferences. Super Teams do not win in the NFL. Ever. Redskins tried it. Eagles tried it. Pats tried it and most recently the Rams tried it. Never works out.

Pats will finish 9-7 because lets face it, the AFC blows. The Bucs will finish 10-6 or 11-5.
Super team? The Bucs are not a super team.

Last I checked Bucs had the greatest QB and greatest TE to ever suit up with one of the best WR lineup ever.

We have ........... untested low-round QB, scrubs for TE, scrubs and busts for WR, scrubs and busts for RB.

As long as teams keep throwing at our awesome secondary all game and can't score, we can eek out every game 3-0 or 6-0. But if they run on us or can score some points..... game over.

At least Steve Belichick should get a promotion out of this season after his secondary's (and Pats crazy high cap space for the position's) awesome work. Might even get a HC gig somewhere.
Last I checked the Bucs added a very old, 2 yard down field passer who has a new playbook to learn and likely a condensed training camp to get on the same page with his new team + a brittle TE who mentally checked out a year ago + one of the worst defenses in the NFL.
People seem to forget how many points Tompa put up last year and it is my opinion that this new Brady-centric offense will not increase points dramatically. Their defense should benefit because of more time consuming drives by the offense and less turnovers. Nine plays to get 30 yds eats much more time than Winston chucking one 30 yd pass then turning it over. That’s 4 minutes less time for the Bucs D to get steamrolled

Last I checked the Bucs added a very old, 2 yard down field passer who has a new playbook to learn and likely a condensed training camp to get on the same page with his new team + a brittle TE who mentally checked out a year ago + one of the worst defenses in the NFL.
People seem to forget how many points Tompa put up last year and it is my opinion that this new Brady-centric offense will not increase points dramatically. Their defense should benefit because of more time consuming drives by the offense and less turnovers. Nine plays to get 30 yds eats much more time than Winston chucking one 30 yd pass then turning it over. That’s 4 minutes less time for the Bucs D to get steamrolled

Alternative angle .. ah yes ... the power of spin. Agree that there is a bubble bursting aspect to this Tompa Gronka Stompa Bonka Bay Buckineers

But the same things that help Brady .. warm weather, natural grass... Should help Gronk stay healthy and perform well. Along with the method of using him sparingly . As a decoy and stud blocker, that will free up all the other stud receivers. IMO

Worked for the Rams in 99 and nearly again in 01. Worked for the Manning Broncos. '04 Patriots , while not considered a super team to start the season, looking back they were arguably as good, if not better, than 07. '96 Packers, then the 80s and 90s dynasties as XLIX pointed out.

LA Rams Recently is a joke. They had a talented, but underwhelming defense and outside of Gurley, who really actually scares you on offense?

There really haven't been many 'super' teams since FA. Anyways, who exactly is calling them a superteam? This isn't 2007...

All those teams you mentioned were mostly made up through the draft. This is kind of different. The Bucs added Gronk and Brady to their home grown talent and are trying to get Trent Williams. Thats essentially a super team offense. Bringing in too many new pieces could yield disappointing results. Still a good team at like 10-6 or 11-5.

Alternative angle .. ah yes ... the power of spin. Agree that there is a bubble bursting aspect to this Tompa Gronka Stompa Bonka Bay Buckineers

But the same things that help Brady .. warm weather, natural grass... Should help Gronk stay healthy and perform well. Along with the method of using him sparingly . As a decoy and stud blocker, that will free up all the other stud receivers. IMO

Brady hasn't exactly played well in florida weather. see Miami dolphins...

Hey remember when the Nets traded for Celtics legends Pierce and Garnett and then went on to win multiple NBA titles?

Bucs. This is an easy answer but homers gonna homer.

I don't care about TB or Brady and Gronk. I am interested in whether Stidham can be a franchise qb and how soon the Patriots are in the SB contender. Actually I want Brady to play enough to net us a 3rd round comp pick.

The real question is can both teams finish better than the Jets?

If we finish worse than the jets, then it better be because we are “tanking for trevor”!

This is a Bucs team that lost 6 games by one score or less....with a QB that threw 30 interceptions...and finished 7-9.

Now they are getting a mistake free QB, an incredible blocking TE to help out their OT's, and pretty much return an intact defense that improved in the second half minus Beau Allen.

They will probably draft an OT tomorrow....

The only obstacle they have a tough schedule...Chiefs, Packers, Saints, and Vikings...at home....but their road schedule is manageable...outside of New Orleans and Denver.

If they split with the Saints, I think the Bucs are a 12-4 team.

===========

The Pats? @HOU, @KC, @SEA, SF, and BAL.....that's 5 games that we should be underdogs for....the rest? A long plane ride to L.A. (probably back to back weeks though). The Dolphins are gonna load up this weekend, the Bills loaded up, and the Jets can't be any worse than they were last year....

I was seeing 11-5 with Brady....with Stidham...maybe 8-8....I hope the Pats will either be competitive or in full tank mode....not 8-8....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back