PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Available On Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, now that I think about it, I wouldn't even take a quarterback at all this year. I would use the remaining picks toward the defense and maybe a WR (I like Hamilton and how he projects to this offense). Hoyer will be back to back up the GOAT. Target a QB next year if you must.

There are seven QBs still on the board with whom the Pats had pre-draft contact, including four who they worked out. Seems to me that at least a couple of those guys ought to be available to sign as UDFAs.

With 9 WRs and 15 OL already on the roster, it seems like the Pats will need a camp arm to keep them busy, anyway.

Of course, there's always Manziel. ;)

Danny Shelton - NT - Upgrade
Hightower back - Upgrade
Langi - LB depth upgrade
Rivers - We'll see. But has a lot of potential.
Wise and Butler - 2nd year bump - upgrade

Front 7 was already better before the draft. Pass rush was improved before the draft..

It's going to be another (yes a freaking nother) great season.

Vincent Valentine and Jonathan Jones too

Agree. I'm bullish on Flowers. I don't think he's a 3 down guy but he can contribute on D for sure.

Lee I'm not so sure. Seems like he's decent

I'm not particularly "bullish" on either one. OTOH, both demonstrated some potential last season, even without much prep (none at all in Lee's case). I just want to see how they perform after receiving the full Pats training course.

I'm sure everyone's opinions will differ, but I don't think there's one left that's worth burning a pick over. The time to get the QBOTF was in the first round, where you can exercise the fifth year option (at least IMO). Lauletta has a noodle arm and Falk was so good in college that he got benched after struggling against Arizona. Whiteside is intriguing but rarely had to come off of his first read before scrambling.

One doesn't have to be a professional scout nor Nostradamus to see that the defense will struggle if they're down to their third string LB again that seemed to have all the athletic gifts in the world at the position but couldn't put it together.

Who's predicting that Flowers will be "third string"? I'm just withholding judgment until I see him in the pre-season mix with Langi, Roberts Rivers, and whoever else may yet be added to the roster - after Flowers has had a chance to get the full Pats training course. If he ends up as "3rd best", I really won't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing until I see it. The opportunity to make that observation is still four months in the future.

Looks like the future QB will have to wait till next year...

Say in the off chance brady retires after the season and foles becomes a FA. Would he be in the discussion?

I still like quite a few players today. But whoever they pick is likely to have/need special teams ability. Bar a QB they likely aren't going to make the team without it.

I'm particularly focused on a LB who can run. I've been on Christian Sam for a while but I would also like to see us pick up Shaun Dion Hamilton from Alabama - injuries are a concern but he could be a steal if given a redshirt year. I also love the upside of Foyesade Oluokun. I'd love if we could snag him in the 7th.

Few guys I like:

Duke Ejiofor
Ian Thomas
DaeSean Hamilton
Dane Cruikshank
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Anthony Averett
Christian Sam
Troy Apke
Shaun Dion Hamilton
Foyesade Oluokun,
Kentavius Street
Mark Walton
Antonio Callaway (although likely off their board)

We obviously share some of the same thought this year..

One of the Hamiltons by all means, i like Street's value in the 6th f.e.

Posted a bit about Oluokun in the UDFA thread here: 2018 UDFA prospects -
- very intriguing “star“ option that could easily go undrafted but I definitely wouldn't mind a pick on him.

Last edited:
Who's predicting that Flowers will be "third string"? I'm just withholding judgment until I see him in the pre-season mix with Langi, Roberts Rivers, and whoever else may yet be added to the roster - after Flowers has had a chance to get the full Pats training course. If he ends up as "3rd best", I really won't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing until I see it. The opportunity to make that observation is still four months in the future.

He doesn't have enough sand in his ass to consistently take on the run. He also doesn't have the power to stack and shed when a lineman gets on top of him. So he wouldn't be out there on first or second down (or in obvious running situations for the offense). That would be Hightower and KVN/Rivers/etc. He's essentially an option at backer on third down. That's why if he's out there for a significant percentage of snaps, we're in trouble.

Say in the off chance brady retires after the season and foles becomes a FA. Would he be in the discussion?
IMO anytime a fmr SB winning QB is available he should be considered.

I'm sure Brady WANTS to play until 45, but we shouldn't assume that he CAN. Belichick seems to know this which is why the team will probably be going into the 2018 season with the deepest OL of his entire tenure with the Pats.

Well if the quality is not there this year then there is always next year. I would love Shea Patterson to be our next QB - it’s a pipe dream, I know.

He doesn't have enough sand in his ass to consistently take on the run. He also doesn't have the power to stack and shed when a lineman gets on top of him. So he wouldn't be out there on first or second down (or in obvious running situations for the offense). That would be Hightower and KVN/Rivers/etc. He's essentially an option at backer on third down. That's why if he's out there for a significant percentage of snaps, we're in trouble.

Still, that's based on observations from last year. I want to see how he performs this year before reaching any conclusion.

I don't see why that's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore