PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Available On Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Just some names still available on day 3 of the draft at potential positions of need.

Quenton Meeks
Josey Jewell
Ian Thomas
Josh Sweat

Kyzir White
Da'Shawn Hand
Duke Ejiofor
Dalton Schultz
Daesean Hamilton
Equanimeous St Brown
Tegray Scales
Holton Hill
Mike White
Kyle Lauletta
Luke Falk
Micah Kiser

Chris Herndon
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Leon Jacobs
Jaylen Samuels
Kylie Fitts
Shaquem Griffin
Genard Avery
Deshon Elliott
Christian Sam
Jack Cichy
Russell Gage
Peter Kalambayi
Braxton Berrios
Tremon Smith
Bilal Nichols
Jullian Taylor
Skai Moore

Those in bold are the ones that particularly interest me. The draft isn't over yet.

Good list. Of those players: Sign me up for another Duke. I also like Ian Thomas and DaeSean Hamilton. If people really want linebackers, Genard Avery is incredibly athletic and has fantastic tape. Peter Kalambayi is tailor-made to play OLB for us. Plenty of good players still available who can help our team.

Quenton Meeks, Ian Thomas and perhaps Josh Sweat surprise me. Josh Sweat less so because of his injury history.

Also, this might be the round to go to QB if they're going too, the 4th is where teams reset their board and often trade up for QBs.

Good list. Of those players: Sign me up for another Duke. I also like Ian Thomas and DaeSean Hamilton. If people really want linebackers, Genard Avery is incredibly athletic and has fantastic tape. Peter Kalambayi is tailor-made to play OLB for us. Plenty of good players still available who can help our team.

Christian Sam is my hot tip for tomorrow not that that really means anything (I'm going to strike out again most likely). But they have shown interest in Ejiofor.

We still have 5 picks. The 4th rounder will make the team, as always. As you say, a QB is most likely.

I

Since it's the fourth round tomorrow, the Pats probably don't have a high grade on the QBs.

If we don't pick one in the fourth round, then it's going to be a QB with potential that can land on the practice squad unless they're really impressive in camp.

My dark horse QB prospect is Chris Streveler.

He showed a year-to-year 'jump' in passing yards at South Dakota and is athletic enough to even win a spot on our special teams.

Just some names still available on day 3 of the draft at potential positions of need.

Quenton Meeks
Josey Jewell
Ian Thomas
Josh Sweat

Kyzir White
Da'Shawn Hand
Duke Ejiofor
Dalton Schultz
Daesean Hamilton
Equanimeous St Brown
Tegray Scales
Holton Hill
Mike White
Kyle Lauletta
Luke Falk
Micah Kiser

Chris Herndon
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Leon Jacobs
Jaylen Samuels
Kylie Fitts
Shaquem Griffin
Genard Avery
Deshon Elliott
Christian Sam
Jack Cichy
Russell Gage
Peter Kalambayi
Braxton Berrios
Tremon Smith
Bilal Nichols
Jullian Taylor
Skai Moore

Those in bold are the ones that particularly interest me. The draft isn't over yet.
If they get one of these guys, I’d be shocked, most likely FCS players or trades for 2019 picks. Looking forward to that 2019 Draft.

Since it's the fourth round tomorrow, the Pats probably don't have a high grade on the QBs.

If we don't pick one in the fourth round, then it's going to be a QB with potential that can land on the practice squad unless they're really impressive in camp.

My dark horse QB prospect is Chris Streveler.

He showed a year-to-year 'jump' in passing yards at South Dakota and is athletic enough to even win a spot on our special teams.
Ball shoots out his hand big time. Mechanics are a mess but he's an interesting guy.

Any QB we take will be a backup at best. Brady is playing 3-4 years. Were not drafting his successor on a contract that doesn't overlap & ready to turn the team over to a 27-28 yo rookie.

Future franchise QB wont be from this draft.

Ball shoots out his hand big time. Mechanics are a mess but he's an interesting guy.

Any QB we take will be a backup at best. Brady is playing 3-4 years. Were not drafting his successor on a contract that doesn't overlap & ready to turn the team over to a 27-28 yo rookie.

Future franchise QB wont be from this draft.
i think you're most likely correct. I 'd take Luke Falk anyway if he's there. Might be diamond in the rough with a few years training, chip on his shoulder helps, and otherwise at 4th/5th round no harm done. Get him and a S and LB to work with and it's been a fine draft.

The Patriots own the 5th pick of the day tomorrow. So we can really nab 1 top quality 'best of the rest' player. Question is who will it be and what position. I'm sure whoever you guess is not going to be the pick though. :) So take that for what you will.

i think you're most likely correct. I 'd take Luke Falk anyway if he's there. Might be diamond in the rough with a few years training, chip on his shoulder helps, and otherwise at 4th/5th round no harm done. Get him and a S and LB to work with and it's been a fine draft.

Falk seems like a shoe fit for us imo

Belichick has to like Kyle Lauletta a bit - the guys dad and grandad played at Navy and he has dabbled in LaCrosse as well...sounds like a Belichick 'personal'
pick to me if hes around when/if they decide to draft a QB

Belichick has to like Kyle Lauletta a bit - the guys dad and grandad played at Navy and he has dabbled in LaCrosse as well...sounds like a Belichick 'personal'
pick to me if hes around when/if they decide to draft a QB

The 6th, 7th or UFA QB not mentioned might be Belichick's draft end game Josh Allen

6th Round QB value?

The only thing predictable about Belichick is his unpredictability. The common thread in his unprecedented renewal of the Patriots dynasty since Tom Brady was discovered in the 6th round is his unrelenting pursuit of value wherever and whenever he elects to pick or trade.

The 6th round is Belichick’s lucky QB round. White, Lauletta, etc. in the 4th round? Sure. Developing the probably best NFL caliber arm still in the draft as the third QB? Highly inconsistent, frustrating on some throws though without a great offensive line or receiving lineup? Kurt Benkert might be your guy:

Kurt Benkert may go from prolific college passer to NFL practice squad

2018 NFL Draft: Key strengths and weaknesses for Kurt Benkert

If he washes out as a 6th or 7th rounder or UFA, he is probably worth the risk. I can see the Pats taking an arm like this in the 6th round and hope to coach him up until he gets to throw to better pro receivers with good line protection. He is less accomplished but the same kind of high risk and high reward QB as Josh Allen was in Round 1. Taking an arm like this in the 6th round where he is likely still available is a lot more worth the risk than taking Allen in Round 1. You can’t teach talent but you might be able to teach a QB like this to backup and maybe eventually replace the GOAT. Has Belichick ever taken another 6th round QB since Brady? If not, it might be time to groom an under the radar raw talent like this.

Quarterbacks with last names starting with B in the 6th round? Brady and Benkert? All of Benkert’s flaws don’t matter much in the 6th round. However, he is possibly the QB with the most pure talent left in the draft. He is purely a developmental pick but the Pats could do a lot worse with one of those already prospective and hyped 4th round QB’s. Benkert might be their late round developmental QB pick precisely because, if selected, everybody will go WTF? Hype almost never predicts what Belichick will do. The Pats are the exact place a guy like Benkert needs to go because he isn’t ready to play anywhere in the NFL now but, with proper development, a guy with an arm and intangibles like this has the potential to be the long lost (loch ness monster) heir apparent to TB12. Benkert waiting his turn won’t be a problem developing behind the GOAT.

Benkert can be both ridiculous and sublime. However, if his talent can be harnessed, the scout opinion that he might be the most underrated QB in this draft could be prophetic:

Recent news on Kurt Benkert - Virginia Cavaliers - Rotoworld.com

His lack of connection with the Pats makes me think that they hype involving just about every other draftable QB prospect this year might be a smokescreen. Belichick loves picking QB’s and all players in general that few if anybody is predicting.

A bad senior bowl sunk Benkert back below everyone’s draft radar but he has more raw talent than Lauletta and the other QB’s being debated and there is this:

Sat, Oct 28, 2017 04:30:00 PM
Kurt Benkert – QB – Cavaliers
In a poll of five NFL executives by NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah, three tabbed Virginia redshirt senior QB Kurt Benkert as the most underrated quarterback in college football.

"He has good size, athletic ability and arm strength. He gets the ball out. He’s accurate on three levels," said one executive. Another noted that Benkert (6’4/230) "makes all the throws." Per Draft Analyst’s Tony Pauline, the redshirt senior gunslinger is starting to draw "early- to mid-round grades." Benkert has thrown for 1,806 yards (62.3% completions) with a 15/4 TD/INT ratio in seven games as he’s helped the Cavaliers work out to a 5-2 record for the campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes