PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the new OC?

I think some are too quickly dismissing the possibility of Judge calling the plays. I'm not saying I believe Judge will be the OC, but I'd not be surprised.

Under Judge, the Giants finished this past season ranked 31st in total offense (287.3 yards) and 31st in points scored (15.2). Remember, this unit was also 31st in yards and points score in Judge's first season back in 2020.

At least he's consistent.

Again though, he was the head coach NOT the OC. McDaniels had bad offensive numbers in Denver, but good ones (even with a rookie QB) as an OC. Judge isn't my first choice, but he makes sense for a lot of reasons. What his team was able to do with Daniel Jones is the least of my concerns.

Agreed. Also, word was he was the heir apparent to McDaniels if Josh had left for the Colts job (if not immediately in title, at least in responsibilities that next year). He was also the WR coach on top of being the ST coordinator. He makes as much sense as any current internal candidate to this point at least.
Though he was the "WR" coach, the WR weren't exactly wowing anyone in 2019. And Troy Brown spent more time with Olszewski, Meyers, and Harry than Judge did. And Troy was a "RB" coach that year.

I don't remember there being any talk of Joe Judge being the "heir apparent" if McD had left for the Colts. Not saying it didn't happen, just I don't remember it..

If Bill Belichick came out and said the plan was to punt on first down every possession next season, there would be people on here saying what a great idea it was and how it’s just another example of his genius.

Judge's QB sneak from his own 4 YL. Listen to announcers.

Now that the Texans and Saints have their head coaches, I hope BB starts filling out his staff. BOB is still the most logical choice, if he wants to leave Alabama. If BB wants to promote from within, Caley is most logical choice. If BB goes outside for former Patriot coaches, there is O'Shea, Skulpinski and Godsey. I believe only O'Shea has playcalling experience. Now that HC vacancies are filled, and McD has hired his ST coach, I hope BB brings back Joe Judge.

Though he was the "WR" coach, the WR weren't exactly wowing anyone in 2019.

I wouldn't necessarily put any of that on position coaches though. For one, that whole operation was a mess all year, from the OL injuries to the revolving door at the skill positions, to general dysfunction between Brady and BB. On top of that, you had:

Edelman - Who did well, for being hurt all year.
Brown - Never really got a chance to get going.
Gordon - Blew up in a way independent of coaching.
Meyers - Undrafted rookie, who did eventually get better in later years.
Harry - Never did well, with Judge or otherwise.
Olszewski - Hasn't developed as a WR much in general.

I wouldn't pin any of those on Judge specifically.

And Troy Brown spent more time with Olszewski, Meyers, and Harry than Judge did. And Troy was a "RB" coach that year.

Sure, how the duties were divied up is important, but my main point is that Judge was involved in the offense, so it wouldn't be completely out of left field.

I don't remember there being any talk of Joe Judge being the "heir apparent" if McD had left for the Colts. Not saying it didn't happen, just I don't remember it..

Admittedly, I'm getting this from Evan Lazar, who seems pretty confident in the information. But as it's second hand for him (and thus third hand for me), who knows how solid that plan may or may not have been. But it does seem like there were rumblings about it at least.

Agreed that O'Brien would be preferable, but I think most here are judging Gase on his failed HC stints and not what BB might see in him as an assistant. The article makes some interesting points, I think we need to keep an open mind and give him the benefit of a doubt if hired.
He ran the offense as HC and those offenses stunk badly.
The only positive on his resume are the years when he watched Manning install his own offense in Denver.

Again though, he was the head coach NOT the OC. McDaniels had bad offensive numbers in Denver, but good ones (even with a rookie QB) as an OC. Judge isn't my first choice, but he makes sense for a lot of reasons. What his team was able to do with Daniel Jones is the least of my concerns.
So after going #31 in Offense in 2020, firing his OC in 2021, and still ending at #31, the HC gets a pass? Ok then. Can't wait for that 3rd and 7 Mac sneak from his own 4 yard line. Do you really believe Judge had zero input in that play call?

Judge absolutely sucks. He rubs players the wrong way, is a loose canon on the podium, and makes terrible decisions. This is not good for Mac's development.

So many good OC's out there and we bring back this whack job?

I wouldn't necessarily put any of that on position coaches though. For one, that whole operation was a mess all year, from the OL injuries to the revolving door at the skill positions, to general dysfunction between Brady and BB. On top of that, you had:

Edelman - Who did well, for being hurt all year.
Brown - Never really got a chance to get going.
Gordon - Blew up in a way independent of coaching.
Meyers - Undrafted rookie, who did eventually get better in later years.
Harry - Never did well, with Judge or otherwise.
Olszewski - Hasn't developed as a WR much in general.

I wouldn't pin any of those on Judge specifically.

Sure, how the duties were divied up is important, but my main point is that Judge was involved in the offense, so it wouldn't be completely out of left field.

Admittedly, I'm getting this from Evan Lazar, who seems pretty confident in the information. But as it's second hand for him (and thus third hand for me), who knows how solid that plan may or may not have been. But it does seem like there were rumblings about it at least.
Wow, you really really love to give Judge excuses. Welp, hope you're right I guess. It is what it is.

I think some are too quickly dismissing the possibility of Judge calling the plays. I'm not saying I believe Judge will be the OC, but I'd not be surprised.
I think this means judge works with WRs and Lombardi moves to QB coach and de facto OC.
Although “offensive assistant” may mean more moves are to come and where judge ends up depends upon those.

So after going #31 in Offense in 2020, firing his OC in 2021, and still ending at #31, the HC gets a pass? Ok then. Can't wait for that 3rd and 7 Mac sneak from his own 4 yard line. Do you really believe Judge had zero input in that play call?

Judge absolutely sucks. He rubs players the wrong way, is a loose canon on the podium, and makes terrible decisions. This is not good for Mac's development.

So many good OC's out there and we bring back this whack job?

Let's tone down the outrage here. As I stated, he isn't my first choice, but to act like he doesn't make any sense at all is taking it to a illogical extreme. Who said he got a pass? He got fired. Buck always stops with the head coach. But there are dozens of examples of guys that make good coordinators but lousy head coaches. They're two different skillsets.

Wow, you really really love to give Judge excuses. Welp, hope you're right I guess. It is what it is.

Call them excuses if you want. I call it not blaming one guy 100% for a group of players who weren't that good (and the ones who WERE good, played well, like Edelman). And what are you hoping for exactly? Because Judge hasn't been named the OC yet, so "hope you're right" is A) premature and B) assumes that (again) I've been banging a "Joe Judge is my #1 guy" kind of drum.

I think you would benefit from some nuance in your thinking. Not railing a guy doesn't mean I think he's the best of the best. There's a tiny bit of room in between where actual discussion can live.

No disrespect to Christmas but I am far from sold with Joe Judge on the offensive side of the ball. I would have been fine with him coming back as the ST coordinator.

After having too many voices on the defensive side proves to be so successful that I guess we will apply that to the offense as well

Last edited:
The best thing I can write about the league's Worst WRs Coach of 2019 is that he's a better Special Olympics Teams coach than Cant Assford.

So the addendum to “I only want to coach players I like” is I only want assistant coaches who are “idiot savants” like me.

I try to be optimistic about the future and would rather they win games than be right..but a senile old man high on egomania is a very dangerous thing.

I think if Judge is the OC (not in title) and calling plays...then I think that provides good continuity for Mac. It's not like Judge has to learn the playbook or has a different offensive style. I'm ok with it.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back