PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the new OC?

You can't even @ him, so it's possible he got banned. @RobertWeathers
I'm not a mod but I'm sure the reason was he didn't heed the multiple warnings he was given to alter his behavior- and it had nothing to do with his football opinions about Josh, Wolf, etc.

Now that McD is in at LV, the next question is how many Pats' coaches he takes with him. Fears is retiring. Might McD take Mayo as DC? At least BB gets two 3rd round comp picks if that happens.
I think he is taking wink martindale as his DC but he could take Mayo and I’m sure he is taking some assistant coaches I’ve heard rumors of Obrein or Gase following him as well.

I'm not a mod but I'm sure the reason was he didn't heed the multiple warnings he was given to alter his behavior- and it had nothing to do with his football opinions about Josh, Wolf, etc.

Yeah, I tagged you because you predicted he would get banned

"Strict" and "screaming and cursing at people" as a default way of addressing urgency and tension" are not equivalent.
"My way of the highway and I'm not interested in your opinion about that" is not an influencing skill.
How much time have spent observing OBriens interactions with players?

Rumors are that Daboll wants Martindale in NY. If that occurs, McD may be looking at Mayo as DC.

I'd vote for O'Brien to come back. He is a heavy run coord and throws down field. Jones know the Alabama offense already so no need to start over with the playbook. whatever leads to Jones growing and being more productive in year two, I'm all for that. Wouldn't hurt to have a true #1 WR either in FA or the draft. Im looking forward to seeing Jones in the Pro Bowl throwing to actual talent.

I think Fat Matt is being developed for a future GM role, not HC. I doubt the Krafts hand the keys of the kingdom to one guy again. Once Bill retires, you'll see a standard GM & HC roles like everyone else uses.
I really think the one voice model is how they want to proceed and they believe Patricia can pull it off like Bill did. You’ve got to be really sharp to wear multiple hats.

The more I think about this the more it makes sense to me. Patricia was in the room with Bill when Cam Newton was cut. The Krafts let Bill choose his successor and prepare him to take over. The successor for better or worse is Patricia. It’s not my choice, but I’m going to be hoping it works.

Rumors are that Daboll wants Martindale in NY. If that occurs, McD may be looking at Mayo as DC.
Also saw a rumor that Daboll would be happy to get Patrick Graham back as DC it he doesn’t get the Minnesota job he’s interviewed for.

"Getting loud and in your face" due to a lack of influencing skills is not the equivalent of tough coaching. It is a mirage that experienced, confident veteran players resent.
Totally agree. My best managers were those I respected, who would be honest about my successes and failings and would work with me to turn the latter into the former. All with an element of fear of the consequences of failure.

Last edited:
I'd vote for O'Brien to come back. He is a heavy run coord and throws down field. Jones know the Alabama offense already so no need to start over with the playbook. whatever leads to Jones growing and being more productive in year two, I'm all for that. Wouldn't hurt to have a true #1 WR either in FA or the draft. Im looking forward to seeing Jones in the Pro Bowl throwing to actual talent.
Correct me if I'm wrong but he was our OC when we ran the offense through the TE(Gronk/HernandeZ) right? So maybe he can get the best out of Henry/Smith

Daboll has already rehired Patrick Graham for DC

Why does the name Wink Martindale remind me of a gameshow host?

Didn't like BOB when he was here before,from what i remember he was predictably pass happy. He would abandon the run, there wasn't any down or distance he didn't have brady passing.

Check our RBs that year and you’ll see why.

to be fair to BOB, those years with the Pats he had BJGE and Ridley as RB's, and Welker, Moss, Branch, Gronk, AH as receivers.
But, you could argue that while the RB's now are much better, the overall receiving corp could get close with 1 good slot addition. I don't think BOB would implode with BB running the show. If he's willing to be OC in a college program, he's probably willing to come back where he had good success - maybe even prove he can win with a new "brady" kid. Who knows... but can't wait for this anxiety to end.

That was one of the issues us Alabama fans with him. We would be on the 5 yard, 1st and goal and he would call 3 pass plays when we had 2 really good running backs. Then in the National Championship Game with minutes left on the clock, down by 8, no time outs, he calls 2 running plays right up the middle!
Most Bama fans wouldn't mind seeing him go at all! Many people have said he just has "too much NFL" in him to coach in college. Yes, our QB won the Heisman, but there were games that were close that really didn't need to be close and some of them were due to his stupid play calling.
Part of me, Alabama fan that would love him to go, then part of me that would hate for him to go to the Patriots and mess with Mac. But who knows, maybe he would be good for the Patriots?
I'm not on any Alabama Forums like I am with Patsfans, so maybe I don't have the inside info, but I don't remember widespread discontent with the recent Alabama OC's (apart from the way that Kiffin left) the way that BOB engendered this last year, I think most Alabama fans would like to see him go. Maybe he just suffers in comparison with Sarkisian (who is clearly a very good OC) and Kiffin (who proved that you can simultaneously be an idiot and a very good OC a the same time).

Dan Mullen... just a hunch. Dude is totally weirdo but is an offensive savant. Big history with Urban Meyer and by extension Belichick in the mid 2000's.

I'm not on any Alabama Forums like I am with Patsfans, so maybe I don't have the inside info, but I don't remember widespread discontent with the recent Alabama OC's (apart from the way that Kiffin left) the way that BOB engendered this last year, I think most Alabama fans would like to see him go. Maybe he just suffers in comparison with Sarkisian (who is clearly a very good OC) and Kiffin (who proved that you can simultaneously be an idiot and a very good OC a the same time).
Everyone knew what we were getting with Kiffin, but when a guy can make Blake Sims looks like a great QB, he can write his own ticket. He changed the offense at Bama and we will always love him for that.
Sark wasn't always loved, he stepped for Lane after he left, to coach NCG and we lost. Then he left for Falcons. When he came back his welcome was lukewarm, it didn't take long to for us to embrace him.
The fan base has never embraced BOB, and that is a problem.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back