PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is our 3rd best player??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to be a homeboy and go against what is actual reality most likely and say Troy Brown.

:D

I am surprised - no one voted for Vrable....

He is our third best player maybe second best easily

No disrepect to Warren, Harrison, Dillon, Bruschi

but Vrable can play at a high level in many different positions - most versitile

PS - Do this right make it a voting poll - would be fun to see th graphics

Turn this into a real voting poll....

TeamPats said:
While not the 3rd best player I want to give a shout to Dan Koppen as our most consistent lineman. Can you even recall the last time Brady and Koppen had trouble with the snap? Plus I don't recall him ever missing a block. Basically I am takig this thread as an opportunity to say EXTEND HIM NOW!!! (Sorry for yelling).
good post man

Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, and Rodney Harrison are all lousy, lousy picks.

I sympathize with those picking these guys-- all have had cases as being one of our top 3 guys during superbowl years ('01 only for Brown). There's a lot of warm sentiment. But neither Tedy nor Rodney has been one of our top 3 guys this season, not even close--- injury plays somewhat of a role in that, but it is what it is. Brown is a joke.

To the guy who questioned Seymour... ... .... oh no you didn't.

Warren probably. Maybe Vrabel.... Maroney's got sick talent, but not yet. Hobbs has been developing a subtle case.

But Warren seems like the best bet, by a hefty amount actually. He's having a great year.

Warren, and he may be #2.

I completely agree with the Warren crowd, and have presented his name when discussing player of the game a couple times.

He is shutting down the run on his side. He's generating great penetration, and getting the most pressure on the QB.

Whoever said Colvin is watching a different game. He can be shut down.

Maroney? He's great in the open field, but not so good right now at short-yardage running. He has been controlled in two games and great in two games.

I think Warren is consistently the best performer on defense game after game so far this season.

Let's not diss Bruschi too badly here. On a lot of those successful penetrations, sacks, and strip-sack fumbles, he was right around the play contributing to the mayhem. I don't recall a lot of the defensive bending being in his area of responsibility. He did even technically get an interception, even if that was little more contribution than a simple incompletion would have been. And he's a genuine field-general type. He's one of that tier, along with Warren, Vrabel, et al. As for Vrabel, notwithstanding that he once made Defensive Player of the Month with a cast on his wrist, he may be the last of the classic Pats defenders to remain underrated. But the streak of "Mike Vrabel makes zero mental errors" has finally been interrupted, as he's been yo-yoed between OLB and ILB. And whereas he had the second highest sack total for LBs one season, he doesn't seem to be getting the opportunity to shine in that role as much now. And after this year's draft, his TE contributes are less important, although I may have to revise that opinion if Graham stays fragile or something. So I'm putting Warren above him, even though my heart is with Mike. (Sorry about the run-on. It seems like I need to figure out a different workaround for almost every vBulletin site before the formatting works properly for me, and I haven't figured this one out yet.)

Last edited:
TeamPats said:
While not the 3rd best player I want to give a shout to Dan Koppen as our most consistent lineman. Can you even recall the last time Brady and Koppen had trouble with the snap? Plus I don't recall him ever missing a block. Basically I am takig this thread as an opportunity to say EXTEND HIM NOW!!! (Sorry for yelling).

Worth a BIG bump!!!!!

Ty Warren is a good choice. I would throw Matt Light's name in there as well - he protects "the franchise"

PatsMan26 said:
First of all Seymour is not in our top three. I love the guy and want him to do well but he is one of the most overrated players in the league. He rarley runs a play out to the end. Brady, Warren, and Colvin are our best players.

I agree, so far this year Seymour has been fairly quiet. Warren and Wilfork are both playing at higher levels than Richard this season. That being said, Dillon and Brown are high on the list right now. Until the Pats defense comes up with a true "playmaker", I think the offense has the best 3 players so far.

Just my 2 cents.

Seymour is one of the big reasons guys like Wilfork and Warren can make the plays that they are. Everyone in the NFL knows this guy is one of the best. It's no secret and you can argue otherwise but you are literally arguing against the entire league. So he becomes the focus. They run away from him, double team him, etc. opening up those other guys to make the big plays. He may not be blowing up the stats sheet but what that guy does for us is invaluable and I see know way we can argue that He is not our second best player.

Now to appraoch the topic of the thread, I would have to go with Wilfork for #3. He has really impress me this year.

DocAdkinsDiet said:
Seymour is one of the big reasons guys like Wilfork and Warren can make the plays that they are. Everyone in the NFL knows this guy is one of the best. It's no secret and you can argue otherwise but you are literally arguing against the entire league. So he becomes the focus. They run away from him, double team him, etc. opening up those other guys to make the big plays. He may not be blowing up the stats sheet but what that guy does for us is invaluable and I see know way we can argue that He is not our second best player.

Now to appraoch the topic of the thread, I would have to go with Wilfork for #3. He has really impress me this year.

Agreed - Seymour draws the double teams, therefore opening up opportunities for Wilfork, Warren, and Green to make all the plays on the d-line.

Rodney Harrison is underappreciated and our 3rd best player. Without him in the secondary, it crumbles apart.

drew4008 said:
Rodney Harrison is underappreciated and our 3rd best player. Without him in the secondary, it crumbles apart.

Good point. I think Rodney's been in the top three ever since he came to NE, but he's not yet back to that level yet, due to the knee injury. I'm hoping he gets back to that level as the year goes on - a great player.

I've been thinking about this for a few days since I 1st saw it and I still can't decide. Too many candidates and the wide range of opinions on it kind of backs up why there really isn't a sure 3rd best player. There are sone 3rd best players, not player. And that's really a good thing.

DocAdkinsDiet said:

You can argue that he has been double team last year, and the year before that, I still don't think he's playing up to par yet this season. During the Bengals game Seymour was pulled for a series, replaced by a fired up Mike Wright - I've always been curious about that decision.

Murphys95 said:
You can argue that he has been double team last year, and the year before that, I still don't think he's playing up to par yet this season. During the Bengals game Seymour was pulled for a series, replaced by a fired up Mike Wright - I've always been curious about that decision.

Perhaps a nagging injury. Also, it looks like Warren has had a better stretch, but that could change as the season goes along, with Seymour having better games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes