• Chicago by a wide margin

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
I want to know what you all think of the Cutler trade.

Re: OT: Who got the best of the Cutler trade?

The Bears needed a franchise QB, which they got...and Denver got two #1s and a 3rd, so they did well. I say it is a wash.

Denver gets 3 days one picks including 2 #1's, plus a QB, and gets rid of a whiny problem. But Chicago gets a Pro Bowl quarterback who threw for 4500 yards last year. So who wins? It depends on what Denver does with the picks. It could be a mini-Herschel Walker trade, or it could be a Curtis Martin trade. Time will tell, but right now it looks like Denver is the clear winner - unlike Jay Cutler.

Since I am on the record that I feel that Cutler is overrated, I clearly think Denver got the better end of the deal by a wide margin. Yes, Cutler got a lot of yards, but that just tells me that he had to throw a lot because the Broncos would get behind because they had no defense. He didn't score a lot for the number of throws he had.

The Bears have no receivers and a weak o-line. They have no prospects of getting receivers. Cutler seems to have zero intestinal forturtitude and will have the weight of the world on his shoulders because the Bears fans and media will expect him to be a franchise QB without weapons. Cutler could be in for a major meltdown if things don't go well right out of the gates.

This is how I see the trade.

If the Bears did not believe Orton was the answer.

Then, they probably would have spend a 1st rounder on a QB this year. Who knows if that QB would have been a bust or a legitimate starter

Therefore, I see the trade as the Bears only giving up 1 first round pick plus a swap of a 3rd and 5th. I think its a great trade for the bears.

The broncos, well, now they are stuck with Orton. I would assume they need a QB. there are 3 potential first round QBs. 1 had a great college career, starting for a team with great talent in a great league and did well. 1 starred in his only year as a starter. and the other had a losing record.

they have 2 firsts this year, 2 firsts next year. if they fail to acquire a QB close to the skill level as Cutler, I think the Broncos lose this trade. If they use their picks wisely, they could come out of this just fine.

Well - if Cutler whined about one of the best offensive systems in Shanahan's, and then dissaproved of McDaniels', who comes from one of the most successful ones in the league, then how is he going to like RON TURNER's(i.e. the WORST playcaller in the NFL) system?

With that being said - if Orton is not the answer, then so be it. However - Lovie's system requires a GAME MANAGER at QB b/c he plays Dungy ball. And to boot - they could have used an MLB/FS in the 1st round, as Urlacher is getting to be a shell of his former self, and Mike Brown is all but done.

Obviously - Denver got the better deal. Orton may not be a great QB, but he's a smart one that manages the game well, which is what is required in McDaniels' system. With those 2 #1's, they can nab an RB and possibly a nice defensive player.

Denver, by a country mile......... They dumped a Jeff George redux malcontent that has a well under .500 winning percentage (even with the Hochuli gift) for 2 1st's and a servicable QB that will probably be used to bridge the gap until one of those high picks is either used on a QB, traded for one. Orton, in Denver's system is probably better then people here would give credit for. He sucked in Chicago, becasue Chicago is the death of a QB with that pathetic receiver set they got there.

They'll take a step back this year, but the overall long-term future for them is pretty decent. They can make some real hay with those picks.

Chicago, got Cutler, but he's now in a much worse situation then he was in and I'm curious to see how long til he starts crying. Sure, WITH RECEIVERS TO THROW to, he has nice numbers, but beyond the stats when you look at stuff like yards passing / points scored ratio......... he ain't that good

........ and Chigago mortgage their future for him. Pretty dumb.

I could be wrong, but this deal is as one-sided as any I can remember in the NFL. McDaniels and every member of the Denver front office deserve to have their pictures pinned on every Post Office bulletin board in the United States, because they just pulled off a heist of monumental proportions.

I could be wrong, but this deal is as one-sided as any I can remember in the NFL. McDaniels and every member of the Denver front office deserve to have their pictures pinned on every Post Office bulletin board in the United States, because they just pulled off a heist of monumental proportions.

who's their Quarterback? Draft picks are nice, but where's there a guarantee that any of them will ever pan out? you dont win championships without a top QB

who's their Quarterback? Draft picks are nice, but where's there a guarantee that any of them will ever pan out? you dont win championships without a top QB

Trent Dilfer called, he say's you are full of sh!t. ;)

Orton will be for now, but they will look to the draft on a long term solution. Orton will actually probably be OKAY in Denver's system. He's smart and a game manager (nothing more) and I think JM can work with that (provided they stud up with a RB early). He's not the long term answer, but Denver is not going down the "win now" path. They are setting up for the future.

JM decided early that Cutler ain't what he want's (rightly, cause the guy is Jeff George all over again). HE told everyone there was gonna be a firesale for him, AND STILL GOT CHICAGO TO OVERPAY. Shear brilliance.

Yup - that's what I was saying - it could turn out like our trade of Curtis Martin to the Jets for first and second round picks - I think one of the picks was used on Sedrick Shaw and the other - Chris Canty? I can't really remember but I remember that neither player was worth the paper his contract was printed on. Of couse that was with Bobby Grier running the draft...

Chicago got its lunch handed to them. This is a massive overpay, especially given the situation in Denver. Yes, there were many teams interested, so that mitigates it somewhat, but JEEZ - TWO #1's and a #3 and a serviceable guy in Orton????

Have fun throwing to that DB, Cutler, ya DB. (Hint: the DB's stand for different things.)

Jury will be out on who got the better of who.... Depends how Denver's picks pan out. At first glance it looks like Denver just schooled Da Bears! But we shall see.....

The media's reaction to this is predictably stupid, but that is Nfl network and espn for you. The same idiots who claim the Redskins "win" every offseason then hide in a gutter only to come out next spring. The Bears made a desperate move and got swindled. Cutler's undeserving pro bowl selection and undisputed "franchise" qb title dwarfed his
mediocre success in a pass happy system with lots
of weapons. Suddenly you would think he is classes with Brady or Manning because he and Brett Favre stolen tickets to Honolulu last year. But alas he is a STAR and therefore the Bears are declared the winners.

I expect a huge dissapointment from Nuke Laloosh, with a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain.

And Cutler wasn't a top QB anyways. At least now they have 2 more first rounders to a) find one, and b) develop a strong top-to-bottom team.

Chicago got fleeced... but, yes - they have to make the draft choices count.

Kyle Orton

Last edited:

And Cutler wasn't a top QB anyways. At least now they have 2 more first rounders to a) find one, and b) develop a strong top-to-bottom team.

In all fairness, Orton screwed up his ankle in the 2nd half of last year...prior to that, he was actually doing really well - it looked like the Bears finally found their long haul QB. They ended up blowing a couple of games in that 1st half(i.e. Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta) b/c the defense crapped the bed late in those games.

But like I said earlier - Jerry Angelo is not exactly Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones, and relies heavily on creating a system, which is why I was more than shocked he mortgaged away their future for an underachieving QB.

no doubt, imho, : option n.1

wow...

In all fairness, Orton screwed up his ankle in the 2nd half of last year...prior to that, he was actually doing really well - it looked like the Bears finally found their long haul QB. They ended up blowing a couple of games in that 1st half(i.e. Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta) b/c the defense crapped the bed late in those games.

But like I said earlier - Jerry Angelo is not exactly Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones, and relies heavily on creating a system, which is why I was more than shocked he mortgaged away their future for an underachieving QB.
The NFLTA discussion was full of crap tonight - they've been pretty slimey during this episode overall - but they did make sense when they noted this move meant Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith were under pressure to win now.

Kyle Orton is 21-12 as a starting QB. Jay Cutler is 17-20. Mike Mayock, who has been Cutler's #1 cheerleader since before he was drafted, was insisting the Broncos have to pool those two 1st round picks and go get Mark Sanchez. I'm looking at Orton's won/loss record and thinking Denver would be smart to focus on rebuilding the Defense and Special Teams and let Josh work with the two servicable QBs on roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe