PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do the Pats select with the 23rd overall pick?

Much like my "Why did we draft that Brady guy when we have the QB of the future in Michael Bishop", I loved the Dom Easley pick. I thought he would be what Aaron Donald turned out to be. I was worried about the knee, but thought he was worth the risk. Never take draft advice from me.

Easley was probably the Pats' biggest gamble in round 1 under Belichick.

Much like my "Why did we draft that Brady guy when we have the QB of the future in Michael Bishop", I loved the Dom Easley pick. I thought he would be what Aaron Donald turned out to be. I was worried about the knee, but thought he was worth the risk. Never take draft advice from me.

duly noted.

just so we can take a few guys off the potential draft list, who are you predicting this year?

to this day, I still do not understand why bb took Easley! What was he thinking?
I couldn't understand either. There were several posters who mocked the pick. What were THEY thinking.
I'm pretty sure I mocked the Pats picking Stephon Tuitt. I wish they had.

duly noted.

just so we can take a few guys off the potential draft list, who are you predicting this year?
LOL, just for the record, my 3 binkies that the Pats might have a chance at, , and I hate to say it, are Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia. (I think he will be gone). Denzel Mims WR Baylor and Adam Trautman TE Dayton.

LOL, just for the record, my 3 binkies that the Pats might have a chance at, , and I hate to say it, are Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia. (I think he will be gone). Denzel Mims WR Baylor and Adam Trautman TE Dayton.
Trautman at 23?
Was hoping to get him in the third or trade back into the second

Ruiz looks likely to go between the late 1st - mid 2nd round (20-50 is my guess).
Then I would rather go for a Center in the mid rounds 80-120.

Then I would rather go for a Center in the mid rounds 80-120.
Besides Ruiz, Lloyd Cushenberry & Matt Hennessy will also be gone before our 3rd-rounders arrive...Tyler Biadasz probably too, though enough teams might be wary of his medicals to allow him to fall into the mid-3rd round...
My favorite day 3 Center is San Diego State's Keith Ismael; an outside-the-box pick would be Ball State LT Danny Pinter, whose <32" arms will prevent him from playing that position at the next level but whose athleticism will allow him time to transition inside to either LG (he's not stout enough for the right side) or Center...

Mims has been my binkie for a while. I think he’d be perfect for the Pats. Excellent speed, vertical and hands. Reminds me of Josh Gordon.

Besides Ruiz, Lloyd Cushenberry & Matt Hennessy will also be gone before our 3rd-rounders arrive...Tyler Biadasz probably too, though enough teams might be wary of his medicals to allow him to fall into the mid-3rd round...
My favorite day 3 Center is San Diego State's Keith Ismael; an outside-the-box pick would be Ball State LT Danny Pinter, whose <32" arms will prevent him from playing that position at the next level but whose athleticism will allow him time to transition inside to either LG (he's not stout enough for the right side) or Center...

What about Nick Harris ?

Trautman at 23?
Was hoping to get him in the third or trade back into the second
No, sorry I wasn't clear. He is just a player I like. I am hoping he drops to the third.(or a trade up in the 2nd) Another player I am high on is Pittman the WR from USC. I hope he is there in the 3rd or a trade up in the 2nd also. That being said, because I mentioned them, Trautman immediately becomes Matt Lengel, Mims and Pittman turn into Aaron Dobson and Chad Jackson and Thomas turns into the 2nd coming of Tony Mandarich.

No, sorry I wasn't clear. He is just a player I like. I am hoping he drops to the third.(or a trade up in the 2nd) Another player I am high on is Pittman the WR from USC. I hope he is there in the 3rd or a trade up in the 2nd also. That being said, because I mentioned them, Trautman immediately becomes Matt Lengel, Mims and Pittman turn into Aaron Dobson and Chad Jackson and Thomas turns into the 2nd coming of Tony Mandarich.
Lol man that’s rough.
On the flip side watching Stidhams highlights I came away highly impressed with Darius Slayton.
I don’t know how he fell thru the cracks like he did feels like the Giants got another Victor Cruz like steal.

I think you are correct that Thomas will be long gone by pick 23. But as you look at his tape, you see a guy that may be maxed out with little to no upside. Teams might be cautious of thomas, as guys like jones of Houston, while not the player Thomas is today, could be a better player in 3 years.

Mims has really good tape and if this draft was not insanely deep at the receiver position, would be ranked much higher. But it is hard to see bb taking a wide receiver in round 1 two years in a row. Not when both lines need fatties!

Trautman - everyone needs to realize that he played against weak competition.
In his league the players were not as big, not nearly as fast, nor nearly as physical and not nearly as well coached as players in division 1 or the nfl will be.
A good two days of practice at the senior bowl does not equal 16 weeks of an nfl schedule,
I would love for us to draft and slowly develop the kid, but draft him in the third round.

What about Nick Harris ?
He's a Day 3 guy for me...His height is inadequate, though his arm length is good enough...power is questionable, though his agility & 2nd-level skills are quite good...He looks like David Andrews' little brother, except he's not nearly as strong...or as athletic...

On the flip side, watching Stidham's highlights I came away highly impressed with Darius Slayton. I don’t know how he fell thru the cracks like he did, feels like the Giants got another Victor Cruz-like steal.
Who needs Darius Slayton when we have Byron the Coward & that choke-ass Punter?

I think you're placing way too much emphasis on level of competition with Trautman. The point of success for him at the SeniorBowl isnt necessarily pro readiness. It's the first step in showing you have the talent to compete with the big boys. He clearly does. The issue of less competition is irrelevant at this point. But, the week also showed that he is more refined than people thought. As a route runner and blocker, he impressed. Hes not just a talented kid with no idea of what to do. All tight ends take time to develop. Even 1st rounders from big schools. I wouldnt expect any tight end from any school to have a big impact this year. With Trautman, talent is talent. Going to a small school should not eliminate him from 2nd round consideration.

Also a comment regarding the OL. I've seen some talk about OL being a need, and seen some mocks with the Patriots taking 2 in the first 3 rounds. I'm not sure I get it. We return 4 of 5 starters from last year. The one starter that isnt returning was a replacement, and the original starter, Andrew's, is expected back. We also have 3rd and 4th round picks returning. Especially in Cajuste's case, this was a very talented kid who could've pushed for immediate PT if he was healthy. Hes healthy now and ready to go(and it wasnt a serious injury that could potentially impact you like an achilles tear or back injury). Cajuste is as talented as any of the tackles outside of the 1st round prospects, and shouldn't have any problem being the swing tackle this year. As for Froholdt, he certainly isnt as highly regarded as Cajuste. But he is talented, and can play guard and center. His biggest problem, while potentially made worse initially after a shoulder injury, could be resolved after a year getting stronger. I dont think anyone in the 3rd or 4th should be considered any safer than Froholdt entering the year.

Certainly, counting on all 3 to come back and make an immediate impact is hard to do. Tjere is always some doubt after guys miss a year. But, for all intents and purposes, with Andrew's back, we return 5 starters. Plus 2 talented 2nd year players, that cover tackle, guard, and center for depth purposes.

I'm not saying to ignore offensive line. I just dont see the need in the 1st round. I also think better players at different positions will be available.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back