PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which teams do you consider plausible Super Bowl participants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternator

On the Roster
Reaction score
By plausible, I mean that it wouldn't be too surprising: a lucky break or two, along with good injury luck, and the appearance would seem reasonable. They might not be the favorites, per se - maybe you have a team that you expect to outperform expectations - but they're the ones you'd expect to have a good shot at the AFC/NFC championship games, where that luck (like a Brady injury) could happen.

For the AFC, I'd say the Patriots, Steelers, Texans, and Raiders qualify; for the NFC, the Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks, and Packers.

The Chiefs seem to have reached their ceiling, and I think they'd need a postseason gift-wrapped with injured opposing QBs to break through; Smith is too limited to carry a team and Reid's flaws as a coach are worsened in the postseason. The Colts just aren't that good, and Luck's not nearly as good as Peyton was at compensating for poor protection. The Titans might make the cut next year, but at this point I'd be shocked if they busted through. The Ravens are dangerous in any single game, but aren't consistent enough to make a run reasonable.

Meanwhile the Patriots are the favorites, the Steelers just need somebody else to take out the Patriots, the Raiders could take anybody in a shootout, and the Texans just need Watson to be Rob Johnson to be a threat.

Unlike the AFC, where there's a couple of teams I see falling short but still being good (I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Chiefs won their division, even), the NFC seems a bit more top heavy this year. The Bucs are really the only ones who seem ready to challenge for recognition - the Lions are deeply flawed, the Panthers caught lightning in a bottle two years ago, and who else is there? The Cardinals, who are hoping that Palmer can continue to survive?

Atlanta's offense is stellar, and likewise the Cowboys; both can take the Raiders route of winning shootouts. The Packers are prone to inexplicable losing streaks but have the talent and the QB to win another title. The Seahawks are a solid team with one glaring weakness (the inoffensive line) standing in the way, and just need them to play not-bad.

I agree with the NFC picks. But, even though they are talented, I don't expect Dallas to prevail. Atlanta is also full of talent, but can they recover ? Not certain. I'd go GB & Seattle as favs over the other two (but I agree that all four have a solid shot).

If it wasn't for NE, I think the AFC would be wide open. Maybe you could even add Tennessee. But, all three teams you named are (for now) well behind the Patriots in depth, skill, performance when it counts.

AFC: Pats, Raiders, Squeelers, Texans D maybe, Denver D maybe

Pats another long season to get to the prize.

Raiders may be surprised when things don't click like last year.

Texans D is SOLID!. But offense is less.

Denver solid D, but like the Texans offense is less.

NFC: ATL, Giants, GB, Seattle, Bucs

Cowboys seem to be on the verge of falling apart, take 2 steps back. Too full of themselves.

Giants take 1 step forward but have an albatross (Manning) around their neck

GB harder schedule than last years and they barely made it. So it depends on his highness. There's no business like snow business.

ATL gonna be a tough year, would not count on them collapsing again if they make it

Seattle like a "box of chocolates", you never know what your gonna get.

Bucs kinda rooting for them to come out and start kicking butt. May be just me.

I agree with the NFC picks. But, even though they are talented, I don't expect Dallas to prevail. Atlanta is also full of talent, but can they recover ? Not certain. I'd go GB & Seattle as favs over the other two (but I agree that all four have a solid shot).

If it wasn't for NE, I think the AFC would be wide open. Maybe you could even add Tennessee. But, all three teams you named are (for now) well behind the Patriots in depth, skill, performance when it counts.

Sure, of course New England is the favorite - but if Brady goes down with a season-ending injury, that's a lucky break for the rest of the conference. Who's able to step up and take advantage?

Tiers list

Tier 1 - Patriots - Teams likely to be in. IE over 50%

Tier 2 - Raiders, Seahawks. Atlanta, Cowboys - Teams reasonably possible to be in. Top level contenders.

Tier 3 - GB, Steelers, Denver NYG- Clear contenders but wish key issues that while not impossible to over come is not impossible.

Tier 4 - KC, Houston Panthers, Vikings, AZ - Clearly outside looking in due to heavy near fatal flaws but weird things happen. Also teams with a potential bounce back. SIDENOTE. KC has a chance to get out of this tier but they need to bench Alex Smith and hope the rookie is the real deal. Until they do they are nothing but 1 and done at best.

Though I put in a tier 4 after tier 3 there isn't much to talk about.

Now I want to talk about why the tier 3 teams are there as opposed to tier 2.

GB - IDC how good your O is. If your D is not good you likely don't have a shot and honestly as good as Rodgers is he gives me pause when asked to beat top level teams. GB i think is one of those always the bride maid never the bride teams like the Eagles but they happened to win 1 time playing against a not particularly good team though not bad. This will not be a weak year that lets them do that again.

Steelers - They have the talent to be tier 2 but they are just not smart enough. One of the dumbest teams in the league and Ben has had trouble winning on the road lately. They will likely have to and that is too ad.

Denver - This is one of the best Ds of the last 15 years. I do put it close to the 2000 Ravens D but their O is just such crap. If they can make it just below suck level they would be hard to beat but i don't think they do this year.

NYG - This team looks like a championship caliber team to me on paper but it has massive character issues and focus issues. I have no reason to think they can get it under control and their coach/QB have passive personalities and Beckham who is the star of the team is the main problem but not the only one. Simply I think they get in their own way.

No idea with all this hype this year.. I have a bad feeling we are going to get hit by some **** storm. I have never noticed this much hype going into training camp before. Or it could just be the sport talk and local sports shows are dying to get the NFL back in gear. Baseball is clearly dying or in a funk.

AFC; of course NE. Pitt will/should win their division. I personally don't think Oakland will be as good as they were last year, plus their defense which was close to bad last year didn't do anything to improve. Houston still lacks a QB even though their defense is legit. Denver still a solid defense but no QB.

NFC; believe it will come down to Dallas, even though their secondary will prob be horrible. GB yeah they have Rodgers but did they improve on a bad defense and no running game? ATL I think is still the best team in the NFC, can they overcome such a big letdown?

Pittsburgh, KC, Oakland, Denver, Houston and maybe Tennessee are the biggest threats in AFC. For us specifically, Pittsburgh is no threat, we dominate them every time we face them. The teams with a strong pass rush is quite dangerous, so KC, Houston and Denver are pretty dangerous (though the latter two need to make it to the Playoffs to begin with, and neither Watson nor Siemian scare me that much).

From the NFC, as usual Seattle, Green Bay are among the top teams, with Atlanta being the third. Some upset potential in Dallas/NYG, Tampa Bay/Carolina, Minnesota/Detroit, but I doubt those teams will do much in the Playoffs.

Plausible Super Bowl Participants:

AFC: New England Patriots (we are the best team in the AFC barring injuries)

NFC: Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons (I'm betting on Green Bay this year).

I'll give it a try. I think you have to look at Dallas and expect that they'll build off of last season. Oakland is another for the same reason as the Dallas and the addition of Lynch, who I feel will be effective if unspectacular. The Seattle, as long as that roster is more-or-less what it's been, is always in the discussion. GB is viable, though I just don't trust them in the playoffs anymore.

I don't think the Atlanta will be back, even with that talented, young roster. And it wasn't just a loss, but a historic and crushing one. We've seen that the SB hangover is actually a real thing mostly. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but memory seems to suggest that a lot of SB losers in the 2000's just simply don't make it back, with many struggling even to make the playoffs. We'll see with them. That roster makes me believe they can buck the trend, but I'm just not confident they will actually do it at this time.

As Deus stated, every team has a chance, I suppose. But does anyone really expect teams like the Rams, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Vikings, etc. to be there? I'd say of all the unlikely teams, the Denver have a real shot if their defense plays the way they can play again this season. I'd also think that the Giants could make it if they qualify for the tournament simply because they have a knack for being a difficult out in the playoffs (though they played horribly against GB last season).

No. With all due respect, there are several "no chance" teams. Including (but not limited to) the Jets & Rams.

GB has more holes than usual, and is only making it on these lists because of the QB, which hasn't been enough for them in years where they had a better roster.

its easier to list the teams not plausible.

Jags browns rams and jets are the only teams i see that have ZERO shot at the superbowl.

If the patriots stumble the AFC is wide open, and the NFC is basically a roulette wheel of teams that could make it.

NFC only need apply IMO. Cowboys, Packers, Bucs, maybe Seattle or Carolina or Giants

No idea with all this hype this year.. I have a bad feeling we are going to get hit by some **** storm. I have never noticed this much hype going into training camp before. Or it could just be the sport talk and local sports shows are dying to get the NFL back in gear. Baseball is clearly dying or in a funk.
the hype is legit. The Pats even proved they can do it without Gronk last year and they are so deep this year. Sure, can't lose Brady but even then you have the GOATrapllo.

I'll give it a try. I think you have to look at Dallas and expect that they'll build off of last season. Oakland is another for the same reason as the Dallas and the addition of Lynch, who I feel will be effective if unspectacular. The Seattle, as long as that roster is more-or-less what it's been, is always in the discussion. GB is viable, though I just don't trust them in the playoffs anymore.

I don't think the Atlanta will be back, even with that talented, young roster. And it wasn't just a loss, but a historic and crushing one. We've seen that the SB hangover is actually a real thing mostly. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but memory seems to suggest that a lot of SB losers in the 2000's just simply don't make it back, with many struggling even to make the playoffs. We'll see with them. That roster makes me believe they can buck the trend, but I'm just not confident they will actually do it at this time.

As Deus stated, every team has a chance, I suppose. But does anyone really expect teams like the Rams, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Vikings, etc. to be there? I'd say of all the unlikely teams, the Denver have a real shot if their defense plays the way they can play again this season. I'd also think that the Giants could make it if they qualify for the tournament simply because they have a knack for being a difficult out in the playoffs (though they played horribly against GB last season).
90% of the teams have ZERO.. 0% chance.

AFC
Patriots
Steelers
Chiefs
Oakland
Denver (if their QB play is good)
Mystery/Surprise team

NFC
Dallas
Green Bay
Seattle
Arizona (if Palmer has a good year)
NY Giants
Atlanta

As usual, injuries will likely play a huge role in who gets to the Super Bowl. And who knows how that will shake out.

My top 10 teams right now:

1. New England
2. Seattle
3. Dallas
4. Atlanta
5. Pittsburgh
6. Oakland
7. NY Giants
8. Green Bay
9. Arizona
10. Chiefs

I think the Seahawks could either implode or rally to have a huge year. I'm betting on the latter. New England should be the best team in football. Even a rash of injuries might not be enough to keep this team out. Dallas...depends on year 2 for their young stud QB. Atlanta may face a huge uphill climb after losing the Super Bowl, but they have tons of talent. Pittsburgh will be tough, and if Carr holds steady, so will Oakland. I like the Giants a lot this year and think they'll do some damage. Green bay is dangerous, and if Palmer has a good year, Arizona could be outstanding. KC was really good last year but their QB just isn't good enough to carry them.

AFC: Pats
NFC: Pack, Seahawks, Cowboys, Giants, "maybe" Cardinals but I doubt it.
Other teams that could be NFC playoff teams: Tampa Bay, Panthers

The Super Bowl hangover can be a real thing.............and I see Atlanta getting swallowed up in their newfound expectations.

Are they talented? Sure, but Carolina looked pretty unbeatable heading into last year and look what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots